World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Infectedat60

Anyone 60 and just get infected?

Cas9

@MsLucy

As we age our immune system doesn't disappear, but it does weaken. Your immune system is comprised of cells, and all cells age and don't work as well. That being said, everyone is different. So a 60 y.o. could have a stronger immune system then another person whose 40. Genetics plays a role and so does how we take care of ourselves. When I eat junk food now, at age 62, I feel worse then when I ate it as a young man. For me, that pain we get in our buttocks, legs, is greatly alleviated when I get a good nights sleep, and that's because the immune system gets stronger at that time.

Little sparrow
On 1/5/2013 at 1:12 PM, Number7 said:

How were you diagnosed? Were you tested for both viruses - hsv1 as well as hsv2?

I am 55 and acquired it a couple of years ago. It was pretty bad at first but through the years (and the buildup of antibodies) it has gotten less severe. Not sure your if your doctor truly has a lot of knowledge about this virus----most don't.

Little sparrow

66, Herpes 1976.

3 partners my entire life.He was a surgeon. Devastated. However we continued dating 9 years .Married somebody else.He never got it..married 28 yrs.Ruined our relationship. I was hysterical/obsessed..

Divorced. In a luxury Condo .Petty theft. Landlord said"residents don't like police here." Rich entitled.So intimidated.

Escalated. March..out cold 13 hrs Knew the were here..drugged.4days later UTI symptoms.Negative test..10. days later, rectal pressure unbelievable. Then agony.Pelvic pain.

Feet suddenly arthritic Googled..Reuters Syndrome.Autoimmune arthritis due to untreated #1..genitourinary or #2 gastrourinary infection.

Chlamydia+Gonorrhea negative.

Would have felt it.Sexually inactive 6 yrs, divorced.

? Diverticulitis???? Cipro.Nope, Screaming with pain.Nobody believed my pain.So sick.Bedridden Swollen feet, eyes malaise..

Saw Fifty shades darker.

Bingo.. Rectal foreign object!!

CT scan No..its a..rectal infection.

NO!!!! Criminal rectal assault. 4 months excruciating pain.

FINALLY..REMEMBERED PAIN IN 1976.

Finally got Neurontin..good for Postherpetic Neuralgia

Got script for Valaclovir. But not filled yet..

Want a sigmoidoscopy.. Video lesion...for Court.

Have to wait for appt.

Unbearable.

Old one burned out!!! Beyond myself.

Lab..there are 36 strains. Can differentiate with lab.But very advanced..$$$ Nuclear image/Polymerase chain reaction

But where to find a lab.and $$$$$

Immunity at 66 is severely impacted.

Mess.

hopeing
On 1/7/2013 at 11:57 PM, Number7 said:

They (the experts) say that hsv2 orally is rare.

I've been given the same line, blood test positive for HSV2, no HSV1. I also get oral symptoms, swabs were unable to detect HSV2, but was on Antivirals at the time. Not prepared to stop them to get a good swab.

I see no reason why HSV2 would not cross other mucus membranes and infect. I think the downstairs upstairs HSV2 / HSV1 is a wives tale, would like to know the rationale why medical professionals repeat it.

HSV does alter your immune system, and my asthma got 3x worse after i contracted it, so I would not be surprised if it can cause or exacerbate auto immune issues.

Nightmare7575

Well I am here for support also[54] and I guess I am one of the lucky one, because I have no symptoms .Some on here say I have no symptoms because I have had it for years and my antibodies are strong .but I had no clue I had it if they are right.

The guy you are with is an ASS and sounds like he has some major issues, besides his herpes,

Createss Galore
On 7/22/2017 at 11:46 PM, Little sparrow said:

66, Herpes 1976.

3 partners my entire life.He was a surgeon. Devastated. However we continued dating 9 years .Married somebody else.He never got it..married 28 yrs.Ruined our relationship. I was hysterical/obsessed..

Divorced. In a luxury Condo .Petty theft. Landlord said"residents don't like police here." Rich entitled.So intimidated.

Escalated. March..out cold 13 hrs Knew the were here..drugged.4days later UTI symptoms.Negative test..10. days later, rectal pressure unbelievable. Then agony.Pelvic pain.

Feet suddenly arthritic Googled..Reuters Syndrome.Autoimmune arthritis due to untreated #1..genitourinary or #2 gastrourinary infection.

Chlamydia+Gonorrhea negative.

Would have felt it.Sexually inactive 6 yrs, divorced.

? Diverticulitis???? Cipro.Nope, Screaming with pain.Nobody believed my pain.So sick.Bedridden Swollen feet, eyes malaise..

Saw Fifty shades darker.

Bingo.. Rectal foreign object!!

CT scan No..its a..rectal infection.

NO!!!! Criminal rectal assault. 4 months excruciating pain.

FINALLY..REMEMBERED PAIN IN 1976.

Finally got Neurontin..good for Postherpetic Neuralgia

Got script for Valaclovir. But not filled yet..

Want a sigmoidoscopy.. Video lesion...for Court.

Have to wait for appt.

Unbearable.

Old one burned out!!! Beyond myself.

Lab..there are 36 strains. Can differentiate with lab.But very advanced..$$$ Nuclear image/Polymerase chain reaction

But where to find a lab.and $$$$$

Immunity at 66 is severely impacted.

Mess.

So sorry for your suffering! I'm 60, but unfortunately have journeyed with this for 35 yrs. I don't know what is worse, contracting it in 20s, or 50-60s. All of it is devastating initially, but I think that if I had gotten it now, maybe I'd feel worse and more overwhelmed. But for those who are struggling with this, it doesn't matter when we got it. Everyone's suffering and struggle is different, but just as important. I've had it for a while, but I can still sympathize with those seniors who have just gotten it. My condolences. You learn to adjust and adapt, and once again have a good, happy life; but I will always feel that condolences are in order.:(

Cas9
38 minutes ago, Createss Galore said:

So sorry for your suffering! I'm 60, but unfortunately have journeyed with this for 35 yrs. I don't know what is worse, contracting it in 20s, or 50-60s. All of it is devastating initially, but I think that if I had gotten it now, maybe I'd feel worse and more overwhelmed. But for those who are struggling with this, it doesn't matter when we got it. Everyone's suffering and struggle is different, but just as important. I've had it for a while, but I can still sympathize with those seniors who have just gotten it. My condolences. You learn to adjust and adapt, and once again have a good, happy life; but I will always feel that condolences are in order.:(

Finally found someone similar to myself. I've also had it for 35 years; got it in 1982.  I'm 63.

Createss Galore
12 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

Finally found someone similar to myself. I've also had it for 35 years; got it in 1982.  I'm 63.

Thanks for sharing! So encouraging! You found someone with H? How did you find love? Did you write about your story somewhere else here? Point me to it so you don't have to repeat again.:smiley:

ACE2002
5 hours ago, Createss Galore said:

Thanks for sharing! So encouraging! You found someone with H? How did you find love? Did you write about your story somewhere else here? Point me to it so you don't have to repeat again.:smiley:

I think he meant age wise. Like you.

Edited by ACE2002

H1PWorthy4Love

Well, I’m 61 and just found out I’m H1 positive. I was living with someone for two months when they told me they got cold sores. I made him get tested for STD’s and he came back positive for H 1 and 2. So I went and got tested and it showed I was positive for H 1. I plan on getting retested in 3 months. I figure I need to give the antibodies time to show up in my blood stream, if they will. I hope I don’t get the H 2. I’m sorry about what happened to you. He was pretty cold about the whole thing. He also sounds like he only cared for himself. Believe me you deserve better. And so do I.  It isn’t easy dating at our age. Who knows maybe your Prince Charming  will be on this site. Anything can happen. In the meantime you have caring people to help you recover. 

Edited by H1PWorthy4Love

MiamiPR

I am 64 . I have had this virus for  9 years . I had only 2 outbreaks .

as time goes on your body does build up tolerance and you will feel normal.

The pain you feel the first year is the worst. After that you will feel normal. 

And start dating people who already have the virus and you both will be happy.

Lulupazoola

Here is my story--i am 71 and have been having BO's since age 67.  They started very mildly--a curious lesion on my R butt cheek.  I showed it to my PC dr and she had no idea whatsoever.  I went to a dermatologist and explained to her about it and she went off and hid, so i left.  I got a new PC dr.  She seemed very nice and serious about her work, but as time went on, it was clear she did not want to deal with it.  She hasnt diagnosed it, just took my word for it when i diagnosed myself.  She has never looked at the area that breaks out to observe a lesion or the scars.  She has never offered a blood test.  Meanwhile, the BO's had gotten steadily worse.  The lesions were not as bad as the depression that started off every OB and the debilitating fatigue.  They started off a couple of 1-lesion OBs in a year and evolved into monthly, and then back to back.  I neglected to mention that somewhere along the line, i was prescribed valacyclovir, which lowered my platelets, and that was the end of antivirals for me.  I had not been taking them all the time, only at the start of a BO.  They werent helping anyway.  Now, my dr sent me to an immunologist.  There isnt anything the matter with my immune system.  So, ive lived with the same partner for 37 years.  He has never had a BO.  He is not a womanizing type, which means i had to have gotten this in my 20s.  In all those years until i was 67, i never had a BO.  Since i no longer have sex, i cant think of a reason i should bother with testing.  I am really glad to have found this forum.  The drs dont know anything about herpes.  They think everyone is exactly the same and that herpes affects everyone the same way.  Its so untrue.  They have such little information about it!  I did not have any perspective whatsoever about this disease.  I thought i must have the worst case in the world.  I now see that there r so many people suffering worse than me, with constant OBs and the nerve pain, fatigue, depression--and worse.  I was lucky to not have it until i was 67 at least and not have the stress of the dating scene.  I am trying some things i learned on this forum and am feeling much better.  Really hope it lasts!  I am so sorry for your heartbreak, the abuse u suffered and your struggles with herpes.  Surely when u r emotionally back on your feet, u will get a break from some of the symptoms.  It is good u take care of yourself.  I do too, but certain foods trigger OBs for me, even when they r considered to be healthy foods (nuts, seeds, coconut).  I hope u can figure out some ways to make your OBs fewer and less difficult.  There r some good ideas to read about on this forum.