World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
sharmeeze

Don't know how to deal with this...

sharmeeze

I'm 18, and was diagnosed a few months ago.. I was with my ex for 2 years who gave me this "gift", finding out he cheated on me after I told him about these painful bumps down there. My first outbreak was on my 18th birthday, didn't even get to celebrate it because I had trouble walking from the pain and had a fever. I don't take meds for it because when I get outbreaks it really isn't that bad.. I still cry every now and then on how my dating/sex life is gonna be and how I'm gonna have to have the "I have herpes talk" every time I start dating someone I really like.. And just thinking about it gives me no hope on finding love. How did you guys cope with this? How was your dating life right after you find out? help :/

Aprilia

HI Sharmeeze,

I was diagnosed with HSV II about 9 years ago. I am now 32 and same case, I got it from my boyfriend who got it from his ex gf and didn't bother to tell me about it, nor did he used protection. I emphatize with you. I really do.When I heard about it, I also felt like it was the end of my life. I couldn't possibly tell my parents or my sister let alone my friends. So I kept quiet and told my new boyfriend over an internet chat. Now I'm married.

I think for me the trick was to find someone I can trust (including trust him enough not to tell the whole world that you've got herpes - be careful with those kind you'll never know) and open minded enough. If he likes you enough then he won't judge you too much about it. Although, it did cross my mind that if the whole world knows about it, it'll be easier for me because then men will be able to decide for themselves whether they want to get near me or not without me having to give them the 'herpes talk' as you put it.

Unfortunately, despite the many claims for cure I can't help you on those herbal stuff because I haven't tried any of them. All I know is Valtrex works great, but it's rather pricey. When you're having an outbreak, it helps to sit on a warm-hot bath though. Salt water helps for some people but for me it gives me yeast infection, which needless to say makes matters worse.