World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Xdorxlx

Please Help Me Read These Results...

Xdorxlx

I went to the ER with genital lesions & body symptoms (fever, headache, etc.). They looked at my genitals and said it was most likely herpes. I got the tests back today and am confused at the results. It seems I have type-1, and I'm unsure of how to get that on your genitals? And why don't I have oral symptoms? (If I get type-1 from receiving oral sex, I would've spent time kissing the infected person).

Here is a pic of the results

http://i46.tinypic.com/16a8n5t.jpg

Please help!

(I would ask a dr but I don't have one, I went to ER with my problem and they won't help me over the phone - too far to drive).

RealisticGal
I went to the ER with genital lesions & body symptoms (fever, headache, etc.). They looked at my genitals and said it was most likely herpes. I got the tests back today and am confused at the results. It seems I have type-1, and I'm unsure of how to get that on your genitals? And why don't I have oral symptoms? (If I get type-1 from receiving oral sex, I would've spent time kissing the infected person).

Here is a pic of the results

http://i46.tinypic.com/16a8n5t.jpg

Please help!

(I would ask a dr but I don't have one, I went to ER with my problem and they won't help me over the phone - too far to drive).

Hi Xdorxlx ---

Okay, it looks like they did a rapid culture test (ELVIS) using a sample from your endocervix area.

As you stated, it indicated you have HSV-I.

You say you are unsure how you would get that on your genitals, but I think you really did figure that out.

HSV-I is the cause of about 30% to 50% of new genital herpes cases. The experts tell us this is probably due to "increased popularity of oral sex." (That one always makes me giggle.)

I don't understand your comment about spending time kissing the infected person.

As far as your question about why you don't have oral symptoms, well, that's just the luck of the draw. It may mean you didn't get an oral infection...or it could just mean you aren't showing any oral symptoms.

Some basic truths about HSV:

• Just because someone who has oral herpes kisses you, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get oral herpes on that occasion (but you might).

• Just because someone who has oral herpes gives you oral sex, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get genital herpes on that occasion (but you might).

• Just because you have herpes (any place), it doesn't necessarily mean you will show symptoms at that location.

At this point, you know you have genital HSV-I. Your oral status is unknown.

:wavey:

Xdorxlx

Hi Xdorxlx ---

Okay, it looks like they did a rapid culture test (ELVIS) using a sample from your endocervix area.

As you stated, it indicated you have HSV-I.

You say you are unsure how you would get that on your genitals, but I think you really did figure that out.

HSV-I is the cause of about 30% to 50% of new genital herpes cases. The experts tell us this is probably due to "increased popularity of oral sex." (That one always makes me giggle.)

I don't understand your comment about spending time kissing the infected person.

As far as your question about why you don't have oral symptoms, well, that's just the luck of the draw. It may mean you didn't get an oral infection...or it could just mean you aren't showing any oral symptoms.

Some basic truths about HSV:

• Just because someone who has oral herpes kisses you, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get oral herpes on that occasion (but you might).

• Just because someone who has oral herpes gives you oral sex, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get genital herpes on that occasion (but you might).

• Just because you have herpes (any place), it doesn't necessarily mean you will show symptoms at that location.

At this point, you know you have genital HSV-I. Your oral status is unknown.

Thanks! My comment about the kissing was because I gave H to my bf, whom I have frequent kissing contact with, so I assumed if I had HSV on my genitals, that I would've eventually gotten in on my lips as well since my bf and I practice oral sex and kissing quite frequently. (Spreading from genitals to mouth)

RealisticGal
Thanks! My comment about the kissing was because I gave H to my bf, whom I have frequent kissing contact with, so I assumed if I had HSV on my genitals, that I would've eventually gotten in on my lips as well since my bf and I practice oral sex and kissing quite frequently. (Spreading from genitals to mouth)

Sorry --- I think I'm more confused by this explanation than I was by the original comment. :vollkommenauf:

Maybe it would help you to understand that HSV doesn't just spontaneously spread from one location to another.

Also, once a person gets the virus, their immune system forms antibodies to fight it. Those antibodies can help keep that person from getting another infection elsewhere.

Nothing is certain and nothing is foolproof. HSV is a sneaky little bastard of a virus that behaves however it behaves. It seems to vary from one person to another.

Xdorxlx

I'm sorry to be causing confusion! Hopefully this explanation will help...

If I'm experiencing an active OB on my genitals (where I was tested and positive for HSV-1), and my boyfriend goes down on me, then kisses me afterward, I'm assuming that will spread the HSV-1 from my genitals to my mouth.

And since we've been practicing oral sex and kissing a lot during my OB (before I knew what it was), I'm asking is it safe to assume I have it orally as well even though I have no oral symptoms?

Does that help at all? lol

RealisticGal
I'm sorry to be causing confusion! Hopefully this explanation will help...

If I'm experiencing an active OB on my genitals (where I was tested and positive for HSV-1), and my boyfriend goes down on me, then kisses me afterward, I'm assuming that will spread the HSV-1 from my genitals to my mouth.

And since we've been practicing oral sex and kissing a lot during my OB (before I knew what it was), I'm asking is it safe to assume I have it orally as well even though I have no oral symptoms?

Does that help at all? lol

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...well...

First of all, the thought of oral sex during an active outbreak... Why would you want to do that, anyway? I think it would be painful.

In your previous post, you stated: "I gave H to my bf."

Does your BF have HSV at this point or not? If so, how do you know he got it from you?

Has he been tested?

Had you been tested prior to this time?

When/from whom do you think you got HSV?

Xdorxlx

I heard HSV-1 genital OB's are very mild, and can be confused with razor bumps (I do shave and get razor bumps, so I'm sure I can confuse the two).

And my BF did get bumps on his shaft, but they were very mild and went away quickly. So I'm assuming he has it (he's still waiting to be seen by his doctor for confirmation.) And IDK for sure if I gave it to him, neither one of us is concerned by who gave it to who.

And I had been tested for all std's (or so I though) until I called my old doctor and told me I was never tested for Herpes since I never had a visible outbreak.

And after looking at differences of HSV-1 and 2, I could've gotten it from my ex (who I received oral from 5-6 months ago), or my current BF.

RealisticGal
I heard HSV-1 genital OB's are very mild, and can be confused with razor bumps (I do shave and get razor bumps, so I'm sure I can confuse the two).

That is usually the case. A few folks do have a rough time with genital HSV-I, but most do not.

And my BF did get bumps on his shaft, but they were very mild and went away quickly. So I'm assuming he has it (he's still waiting to be seen by his doctor for confirmation.) And IDK for sure if I gave it to him, neither one of us is concerned by who gave it to who.

And I had been tested for all std's (or so I though) until I called my old doctor and told me I was never tested for Herpes since I never had a visible outbreak.

And after looking at differences of HSV-1 and 2, I could've gotten it from my ex (who I received oral from 5-6 months ago), or my current BF.

Okay, it's great that you and your partner are not concerned about who gave what to whom.

I hope I helped clear up your questions.

Xdorxlx

Well I'm still wondering if I should assume I have HSV-1 in my mouth area. I've never had an outbreak there. Or if it's possible to have it in my mouth and genitals..

RealisticGal
Well I'm still wondering if I should assume I have HSV-1 in my mouth area. I've never had an outbreak there. Or if it's possible to have it in my mouth and genitals..

Yes, it is possible to have it in both places.

The problem is, the blood tests cannot tell you where you have it. Only a culture or PCR test can tell you that, but those tests cannot be done without some sort of symptoms.

So unless you get an outbreak, there is really no way to know if you have oral herpes or not.

DancerNADayDream

If you did not get oral hsv1 before, it is unlikely that your bf will pass it to you by oral and then kissing you. The reason for this is that you already have antibodies now against the virus. As Realistic Gal said, it is VERY unlikely to spread to a new place due to this. (Baisically you already have it, and due to the antibodies, it is unlikely that you will get it anywhere else).

As to whether you may or may not have oral hsv1, most likely, you would have had an outbreak of oral symptoms at the same time as your genital outbreak if you would have received hsv1 orally as well. So from what I have been told, it is unlikey them that you have oral h1. (Why would you break out in one place and not the other?)

I hope this helps :)