Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trying2bePositive

Am i Supposed to have outbreaks?

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently got tested and unfortunately i am HSV-1 positive, HSV-2 negative, the test was on Jan 08 2013. I dont know where my 'infection' is located at.

i've done some research and found out that there are no test to pinpoint when the infection was transmitted. but i'm still curious.

"IF" i recently have gotten infected, am i supposed to have an outbreak? I've had some tingling feeling in my groin area, but not the genitals itself (HOWEVER, it may just be because i'm now overly self aware of everything that happens to my body).

if i am supposed to have an outbreak during the initial transmission, and no outbreak occurred... does that mean i've had HSV-1 a long time ago?

ThankS!

Hi,

I recently got tested and unfortunately i am HSV-1 positive, HSV-2 negative, the test was on Jan 08 2013. I dont know where my 'infection' is located at.

i've done some research and found out that there are no test to pinpoint when the infection was transmitted. but i'm still curious.

"IF" i recently have gotten infected, am i supposed to have an outbreak? I've had some tingling feeling in my groin area, but not the genitals itself (HOWEVER, it may just be because i'm now overly self aware of everything that happens to my body).

if i am supposed to have an outbreak during the initial transmission, and no outbreak occurred... does that mean i've had HSV-1 a long time ago?

ThankS!

Also, i've never remembered any outbreak before.

If you tested positive for HSV-1 and have never had an outbreak in either location I would make the assumption that it is oral because it usually is. I think it would be erring way too far on the side of caution to think it is genital without any evidence to support it. 80% of the population is HSV-1 positive, and most of it is still oral, although the incidences of genital are increasing.

Some doctors say that the risk of transmission of genital HSV-1 is so slim that one does not even need to disclose. I am not so sure about not disclosing if you know for sure you have it. But you don't know you have it genitally.

There is a very good chance that you have HSV-1 orally, commonly known as cold sores, and you appear to be totally asymptomatic.

If you want to tell people that you have HSV-1 before you kiss them you can, but a lot of people don't, and I am not so sure it is necessary.

Hey,

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you are trying to find out more about hsv- this has been a great source of support & information for me.

By the sounds of things u have oral hsv1 aka coldsores. In the absence of any genital symptoms I think this is the more likely of the 2 scenarios.

Tc xx

Most people contract hsv1 when they are kids. Some people breakout with cold sores others do not. 80% of the adult population has it. It's extremely common.

If you tested positive for HSV-1 and have never had an outbreak in either location I would make the assumption that it is oral because it usually is. I think it would be erring way too far on the side of caution to think it is genital without any evidence to support it. 80% of the population is HSV-1 positive, and most of it is still oral, although the incidences of genital are increasing.

Some doctors say that the risk of transmission of genital HSV-1 is so slim that one does not even need to disclose. I am not so sure about not disclosing if you know for sure you have it. But you don't know you have it genitally.

There is a very good chance that you have HSV-1 orally, commonly known as cold sores, and you appear to be totally asymptomatic.

If you want to tell people that you have HSV-1 before you kiss them you can, but a lot of people don't, and I am not so sure it is necessary.

What evidence would it have to be, to be genital HSV-1?

I never had a cold sore, and have HSV-1 genitally. It was transmitted by oral sex, so if you had oral sex and your partner has ever had a cold sore, you probably have HSV-1 genitally.

What evidence would it have to be, to be genital HSV-1?

Sores on your genitals would be pretty good evidence in my opinion.

I never had a cold sore, and have HSV-1 genitally. It was transmitted by oral sex, so if you had oral sex and your partner has ever had a cold sore, you probably have HSV-1 genitally.

how did you know you initially you have HSV-1 genitally? since you've also never had a cold sore.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Blahdittilyblah
      Hello, you have support here through this forum. We all are going through this. I'm new only a couple weeks adjusting, but I find it amazing to hear other people's story's and advice. I've only told my mother and father and one close friend. But my partner is in the same position as you, and I suggest speaking here first get comfortable with this and then maybe if necessary you can speak to someone personal you know, but your not alone were are evidence of that. 
    • rayk7536
      Hello everybody.  I'm a newbie to this forum.  Not new to "H".  I'm 66, retired, live on long island, and am single.  
    • Motherhen32
      I don't know what to do.. I have no support and I'm not sure if I would want to tell anyone about the virus anyways 
    • Herpadoodledoo
      To be honest a lot of people don't find it to be that huge a deal so maybe he just doesn't care? If you guys want you can have him blood tested to be sure, but you can have it for years and never have symptoms. 
    • Motherhen32
      I'm not sure really.. He's never been an emotional type and he also has zero symptoms no bumps or illness or anything. But he knows I wouldn't do anything with anyone besides him
    • Herpadoodledoo
      Sorry you're having to go through this  : ( pregnancy is hard enough without adding this stress to it. Do you suspect he's known he had it? Or maybe he's trying to cover up guilt? I can't imagine why he wouldn't at least be surprised by this. 
    • Motherhen32
      But just finding out or getting it so late in my pregnancy I'll have to get a c-section for birth and that was definitely not part of my birth plan. My partner just keeps trying to avoid the conversation and blowing me off when I bring it up yet I just got diagnosed yesterday and it's all new to us I was expecting more support from him knowing it's his fault I have it in the first place 
    • cherryblossom91
      That is a mess! I'm sorry that happened. Everyone keeps telling me urgent care isn't really reliable which is who I went to because it was the weekend. I actually just got off of the phone with my GYN and she's convinced that I have absolutely nothing. I'm just trying to figure out why my swab from urgent care came positive for ghsv 1. It's been an up and down battle for me and I just want to finally know. If I have it, fine. I came to terms. If I don't then I'll be delighted. 
    • LinksJ
      @SomethingsUp  @gonnakillher Although I am a bit different because I had an actual lesion (Not swabbed but guessing hsv1) I think it is obvious there is a group of people whom experience similar symptoms such as widespread nerve pain and other neurological complications and also test negative for HSV. From my understanding in reading many of these forums, there seems to be more documented nerve problems from those who test negative than those with a positive diagnosis. Even in asking my practitioners (4 of them.. one Sexual Health expert whose own daughter has H2, two functional med doctors, endocrinologist), "Have any of your patients who have herpes followed my own prognosis?" all I have received is no. They all willingly admit that they have many patients with herpes, but none seem to endure the pain we all describe. This is interesting on several levels.    Are we really in such a minority group that we have extreme atypical symptoms AND test negative?   Is there something common about our biology, history, ancestry that puts us in this minority?   If we can discount hsv2 as a culprit (97% accuracy *cough cough*), then why is the immune reaction to hsv1 infection the DRG so much more pronounced?    I hate spending time on these forums because it means I am wasting time during the prime of my life. I have learned more and read more anecdotes than I could ever have imagined. Where are the stories of people who continually test negative and go on to infect future partners? Who owns the responsibility for that?   Truth be told I would not discount the possibility of our infections being either foreign strains of HSV that don't cause the body to produce the same ABs, or a completely different virus altogether. I doubt a bacterial cause simply because of the recurrent neurological complications.  I started this journey in February, and now I am back at school for my senior year and I might as well be writing a thesis on the under/misdiagnosis of HSV. Im a Comp Sci/Math major. Lol. Each day gets better and we will all carve our own paths and find happiness.  
    • LillianPanos
      Hi. I had similar situation.  i had an ob. Swabbed by primary dr said positive for H 2. went to gyno she took blood igg @12 wks. she calls leaves message I dont have H2, test came back I have H1 orally. I call bck wtf was the swab she back peddles and says I have H1 genitals.  I say swab says H2. She says primarydr didn't request test properly. I call primary to discuss with her I tell her calmly what gyno said about the test she did on swab shes a bit defensive and says what does it matter its on genitals whether 1 or 2.  I do another blood igg @ 19 wks same thing positive only for H1. so I have appt with new gyno and an infectious disease dr in sept. Trying to determine what it is 1 or 2.  i know i have something always a bit of discomfort for 5 mos. Hopefully these drs better than the primary or gyno.
  • Featured