World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
The H Bomb

Recent diagnosis and have a few questions....

The H Bomb

Hey guys,

Great to see that there is such a valuable support network available for people trying to come to terms with their herpes diagnosis.

I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 a month ago after my (now ex) girlfriend performed oral sex on me. She had been unfaithful, contracted the cold sore virus and neglected to tell me she felt a tingle on her lips the next time she saw me. Anyways, no point blaming anyone now...it is what it is.

My doctor told me that I was quite lucky in the sense that my primary outbreak was very mild - one painless blister on the shaft of my penis which cleared up in about 4 days, and a bit of a fever that hit one night and was gone when i awoke the next morning. He wasn't trying to give me false hope, but said that based on that, there was no reason I couldn't be one of the lucky % of people who never experience another outbreak after the inital episode. I'm doing all I can to look after myself and remain positive to ensure this is going to happen.

I do have a few questions though and any information would be greatly appreciated.

1. If I have herpes genitally, is there still a chance that it could appear on my lips? I've never had a coldsore before and wondered if I had also contracted it orally, would it have appeared by now?

2. If I am with a new partner who has HSV-1 orally, what are the risks involved? Can I pass herpes on to her genitally and can she pass it over to me orally?

3. What happens if I am with a partner who also has it genitally? What are the risks during sex for us? I know we can't 'reinfect' one another, but if she performs oral sex on me is there a chance for her to get it orally, and then also to pass it on to me orally?

4. For others who have had a similar mild outbreak, if there was a reoccurance was it in a similar location?

5. Finally, is there any recent research people can direct me to on viral shedding? I know this is a tricky subject but does research suggest the virus is more likely to shed around the site of the outbreak? It's just such a scary thought to think that I'm potentially contagious at any given time below the belt. You'd think that some condom company would go ahead and make some extra large condom for the fellas that was the size of a pair of swimming trunks to protect others from transmission!

Anyways, thanks in advance for reading, and look forward to hearing some responses.

Cheers.

QueenJane

Hi Bomb, and welcome to the club! :p

There are lots of people here with much more experience and knowledge than I have, but I'm in a similar situation, and here's what I've learned: if you can find someone who also has H-1, oral or genital, makes no difference. You won't reinfect each other, because your immune systems will both be prepared to fight the virus. I don't have a firm answer on whether it can crop up in another location, but from what I've heard so far, the answer is USUALLY no.

I hope you get some more/better answers, I'll be watching because my questions are much the same.

Peace.

five

1. It can still appear on your lips. If you touch your genitals and then your face you can spread the sores. It is unlikely (as your body is already building anti bodies) but not unheard of.

2. Like your previous question, even if you have the same type you can spread it to each other in different locations. Again, it is unlikely, but avoid having contact with an outbreak and you should both be fine.

3. There seems to be a pattern with your questions... lol. If you aren't having an outbreak you should both be fine, but even if you both have the virus you should avoid having contact if you don't want to spread it. Luckily for you, HSV1 in the genital location tends to be much more mild and you will likely have very few (if any more) outbreaks.

4. This one I can't answer from experience, sorry.

5. This website has a lot of information, and tend to have reliable sources. http://herpes-coldsores.com/viral_shedding.htm. The first year you are infected you are the most viral, but as I said, with hsv1 genitally you have it "lucky". You will be shedding less (especially since you'll likely have less breakouts), and are less likely (though not impossible) to give it to someone else genitally (though they could get a cold sore from giving you head unprotected). If you have insurance and are really concerned for a new partner you could ask your Dr. about anti viral suppressants which can cut your chance of transmission; but generally, if you use condoms and avoid sex if you think you're getting/having an outbreak you should be fine.