World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Froggy22

Drug Resistant Gonorrhea and STIs stigma

Froggy22

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this discussion but I was wondering if anyone else is concerned about the slow growing hysteria around the new drug-resistant gonorrhea strains. I have seen it described on yahoo as previously not stigmatized and as if it is now open for new stigma as the 'norm' for incurable STIs. Although not as strongly, a similar process is happening for drug-resistant syphilis.

Although it is easy to have schadenfreude about this when you are having herpes emotional and physical issues, it may be wiser to be more strategic about how we react to this. Perhaps we can stand in solidarity with this new group and stop the stigmatization before it starts. If the stigma becomes widespread, emphasize better sex education and research versus the folly of stigmatizing (punishing) a now even larger portion of the population [gonorrhea is the number 2 most common STI next to Chlamydia in the US according to the CDC]. If necessary, the drug companies may be exposed for fanning the flames (no pun intended) of stigma rather than effective vaccine and cure research. I'm just throwing out some thoughts about the subject but either way I think the Herpes community so get out ahead of this issue as a conscientious observer which may benefit all stigmatized STIs and diseases in the end. Any thoughts?

dammit

i read this post yesterday, and cannot stop thinking about incurable gonorrhea! scary shit to say the least! and i heard on npr that all kinds of drug resistant bacterial, viral and fungal infections/diseases are surfacing in different countries across the world.. particularly because we have been using the same antibiotics pretty much since the invention of penicillin. rest assured, scientists are currently developing new antibiotics using nano technology.

i was driving while listening, so sorry if that lacks information, or is all wrong. its very possible.

Froggy22

Well it may be more like the world has been using different variations or synthetic versions of penicillin for ages. As I understand it, the basic mechanisms that antibiotics use to cure don't work anymore. So no matter what new antibiotic you make, they won't work without being so strong they may harm other normal cells. I'm not a scientist but it seems like there would need to be a whole new type of defense to tackle the next generation of drug resistant diseases. Nano technology may be the key. In my view, this stresses the need for comprehensive sex education, less stigma for all diseases, and more research.