World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
grammarinkles

calling all with gHSV1

grammarinkles

I am having I suppose my second or third outbreak... I had my initial 6 months ago and a few weeks ago noticed it again, much more mild, but took my acyclovir immediately. It cleared up quick but now maybe just a few weeks later, I am having another! More painful but still not bad like the initial, I am taking the acyclovir again but I am started to worry again which I am sure doesn't help! Is it common for ghsv1 to continue to reoccur? I though it was supposed to not "pop up" as often? Anyone have some experience they can share with me?

Elle22

It is typical for ghsv1 to not have as many outbreaks as ghsv2, because it is not in its "preferred" area. However, that is definitely not the case for everyone. Hsv, no matter the type, can be totally different from one person to the next.

GntiNh

You may have more luck using Valtrex. I know they are basically the same drug but several people (including me) found Valtrex worked better for them. Good luck

grammarinkles

Do either of you have ghsv1? I haven't looked incredibly hard in this forum but I usually see hsv2 posts and not many about genital hsv1 so I was looking for some personal insight. Thank you for you responses :) I appreciate it.

anne333

I got Ghsv1 September of 2011. It haunted me the first year and then it stopped in April of this year. It will get better. It just takes you body some time to adjust. Try lysine daily for a while and take breaks so your body does not climatize to it. Give your body some time to adjust. A year from now you will have little reason to think about it.

GntiNh

I'm both oral and genital HSV 1 - yep my giver was a "star"!

I used Acyclovir at first but it upset my stomach so I moved to Valtrex. I took it for my second genital breakout and then as a suppressant when I was dating. I haven't taken it in over two years now. I don't get blister genital breakouts only oral breakouts and I don't take Valtrex for them.

anne333

I used Acyclovir at first but it upset my stomach so I moved to Valtrex. I took it for my second genital breakout and then as a suppressant when I was dating. I haven't taken it in over two years now. I don't get blister genital breakouts only oral breakouts and I don't take Valtrex for them.

I am sort of surprised that it is not easier to contract both OHSV1 and GHSV1 at the same time. I understand that thier may be an open wound that allows entrance into the system.

I just assume I could have it orally as well, but have no obs. Really, what difference does it make?

Please excuse me if I am being ignorant. I am still learning abouthte virus.

GntiNh

I had never had a cold sore and I had been tested between the previous person and my giver for HSV (the previous person was abusive and I had a blood test done for HSV) so I know who my giver was and when I got HSV. His ex wife, ex gf and child all have cold sores and the ex wife and ex girlfriend had G HSV too. He said he didn't have it but then later admitted he did.

whodat

Hey Grammar,

I have had GHSV1 since September 2011 as well. I'm on my 3rd (or 4th) outbreak since that time and it suckkkkks. So yes, it's not unheard of to have recurrences. If it makes you feel any better, my recurrences are pretty mild and I have yet to pass this on to a partner (knock on wood).

chickentuna

hey grammarinkles. yes i have Ghsv1.. for 3 years now.. the first year was nothing but outbreaks. the firt inital one was BAD , horrible.. the next few were not so bad..and one other one was pretty bad but still not as bad as the first one.. and in te last 2 years ive had 2 outbreaks total... sooo as i have also heard that ghsv2 is worse in outbreaks than ghsv1 ..that was NOT the case for me.. but i have also learned that herpes is NOT textbook ...its not black and white.. and its SO different for everyone... sooo yeah it is very possible to get these obs occuring more frequently and especially in the first year.

IF you are getting these many obs, perhaps you can decide to go on antivirals...as a daily suppressive.. i chose not to, but at this point i dont even need them i dont think bc of my obs becoming less frequent..

in2theblue

I was culture tested an diagnosed with ghsv1 November of 2011 and I haven't had an OB since my initial one.. I'm thinking maybe I was mis-diagnosed. I kno it varies person to person. But literally I've had nothing since then. I know culture tests are pretty accurate and I've requested a blood test from my doc but she is all like "it's not in ur system it won't show.. U have it .. Move on.. Who cares it's no biggie" I am soo tempted to tell her that she can test my blood for antibodies.. Are docs really just that not informed about this test? I don't know it.. It's for piece of mind. This hasn't really affected me at all. My first and only ob was aweful and lasted almost 14 days. (No meds) it looked like razor burn also. Very odd. I don't know. Just thought I'd share. Since everyone ghsv1 here seem to have had multiple obs.

chickentuna

blue, yes so many docs are so ignorant and uneducated about the herps.. honestly though for you, many people do get one ob and just never get another, OR never ever get obs and are assymptomatic..which may be what youare right now....so its possible you have it,and not possible that you were mis diagnosed... culture tests ar very accurate so i would typically go by that...

Lola70

I have ghsv1 and have done for 9 years, I've had stacks of recurrences of varying degrees of nastiness. I had a couple of years where they were only once or twice a year and lasted about 3 weeks, then they suddenly ramped up to once every 3 months which was hideous and unbearable so I started on suppressant acyclovir. Stayed on that for 4 years which knocked the obs back to once a year. Finished acyclovir in October and now taking lysine daily and am keeping fingers crossed!

Hsv1 seems to have no problem what so ever not being in its site of choice with me!! Everyone is different and things seem to come and go, I don't think about it very often unless I'm having prodrome or an outbreak.

treddie

Hi

I just got diagnosed today with GHSV1 and facial HSV after sleeping with my ex who has herpes. We were together for a couple of years and I wasn't infected during that time. At first I was relieved because I thought that I wouldn't get outbreaks on my genitals again, but I'm beginning to realise that this isn't the case. This first outbreak is baaaadddd;I have a lot of large open wounds and it's very painful. I'm taking Valtrex, Lysine and having lots of salt baths.

I'm just starting to learn about HSV1 because I had assumed it was HSV2. So I'm right in thinking I can pass this genital to genital to a partner just as in HSV2, but with lower odds? If I pass it to them will they automatically get GHSV or could they just get facial instead? I've also heard that there are more complications with HSV1 than HSV2, and that it is in fact not the 'good' herpes.

R1543

I'm new to this game, but have done a boatload of research (my nature and to the point where I was directing the clinician to CDC info). I have genital HSV1. My reading has led me to believe that we are probably luckier than our HSV2 brothers and sisters, but that the firsts couple years could still be rough. It can be anywhere from only one or two recurrences in that time to quite a few. There is a likelihood that each time the window between will lengthen and the severity decrease. The thing is that basically you're waiting for your body to develop sufficient antibodies to fight off the outbreaks for effectively. That time will vary from person to person according to circumstance.

Regarding the alcyclovir - apparently it is mostly effective, but... the reason for the development of valcyclovir is that acyclovir is only 15% available to the body. That means that only 15% of what you ingest is converted for use. Doses are calculated with this in mind, but valcyclovir is much more available to you (can't remember the percentage) and converts to acyclovir in the body,

gregory88

You can Relieve yourself from it!

Hi grammarinkles the HSV1 virus reactions can be very wild and unpredictable as you are experiencing. Just so you know your diet is a very important thing when it comes to relieving your self of this. (Yes you can relieve your self). I have a really cool article on the subject, private message me to see it.

Greengirl3

I have had ghsv1 since 2009 and I do get outbreaks, even on antivirals. They aren't nearly as bad as what I guess other people get, and nothing even close to what my initial was. Usually I just get one or a couple of little things that look like cuts, that don't even scab over or anything, just go away. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that you can definitely get outbreaks with gshv1, and I've been having them constantly for the past few months just because of severe stress (not hsv related), but it just depends on your triggers.

Stargazer8591

If u dont get breakouts in ur genitals how do u know its there?

Bailey4433

I've had GHSV-1 since July of 2011. The first outbreak was the worst. The first year I would get outbreaks on and off every couple months. Then they started to spread out more. It has been six months since my last outbreak and unfortunately I just got one. I truly believe stress is a contributing factor to the outbreak. Seems to be the cause of mine anyway. Although HSV-1 is supposed to be less severe than HSV-2 I believe the frequency vary from person to person.

musumegirl

I was diagnosed in April 2011. I had 3 OBs that year that were incredibly mild (1-3 "bumps" that went away in a week). I was symptom free until yesterday-and found one single circular cut. Shitty but tolerable. Its really the mind over matter part

in2theblue

Hey I have honestly not even put any thought into ghsv1 at all... I have never had a second out break.. Going on 3 years now.. Thinking I was misdiagnosed. But I haven't really bothered with getting to the bottom of it since it doesn't affect my life at all.. I know it sounds Aweful but as long as I use a condom with a partner I don't say a damn thing and no one has ever come back to me saying they "caught" anything.... I think I was misdiagnosed for sure. Ppl keep telling me that ghsv1 doesn't show up nearly as much as ghsv2 but not at all in 3 years seems a tad sketchy. Anyways it's not like I'm out banging everyone I know lol so it's not something I think about and I just go about my regular day as if nothing changed. Because believe me if I got another OB I'm positive I would have know . I know not disclosing makes me a terrible person Blah blah blah.. Hsv1 is really common. Common enough that 80% of the population has it already. Don't judge me and I won't judge u. I'm not ignorant to the situation .. It's my own decision.. If I felt like I had something worth noting I would note it. But I don't.

LitProfessor

I was diagnosed in March wtih GHSV1 and that first outbreak was the worst thing EVER! Horrid pain, muscle aches in my legs and butt. Bad. Then next month I had a slight OB right before my period. One sore, didn't cause major issues at all. The next month was absent of an OB (GO ME) then this month I got one that is sort of medium, more itching than pain. My periods can be pretty bad so that adds to the frustration.