World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ampw

21 years old and i just got diagnosed with genital herpes today.

ampw

i don't really know how my life is going to change or what this means for me but i am absolutely terrified out of my mind. please someone explain to me what to do, at least to start off.

hobbes

Sorry ampw but you've come to the right place. I wish I would have done the same when I first learned I had hsv. The first step is to educate yourself and see how others are dealing. To meet people here and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Over time you will learn that life is not over. That having hsv doesn't mean you are a terrible person or dirty. And that in due time you will learn to live with hsv and realize that there are worse things to have than hsv.

ljl2013

Educate yourself, and breathe

You already found this site, so you are on the right track. Forget everything you heard about herpes in the past, and start to educate yourself through this site and other reputable places. Read others' experiences on this site, it will help you see that a lot of people deal with this, and it's not the end of the world.

Sly Dawg

hsv-1 or hsv-2 ? .. have u had a breakout ?

ampw

currently experiencing my first breakout. not sure if it's hsv1 or hsv2, i went to planned parenthood today where they confirmed that it was indeed herpes and gave me a prescription for valtrex but i don't know the details yet -- i have a followup appointment in a couple weeks where i assume i'll see the results of the cultures they took. what is the difference between the two types?

Sly Dawg

im not an expert i just know hsv-1 likes to infect the mouth and is more active there because it's its "home" area. And hsv-2 likes to infect the genitals and its more active down there because it's its home area. It is possible to have Hsv-1 in ure genital area, and it's less active sheds less and you may never see another outbreak down there because its not in its home area. same for hsv-2 if you have it in ure mouth/lips its way less active up there because its not home. But yeah sorry im not the greatest to explain it.

chickentuna
i don't really know how my life is going to change or what this means for me but i am absolutely terrified out of my mind. please someone explain to me what to do, at least to start off.

hey there i was diagnosed when i was 22. so close to the same age as you are now.. i am almost 25 now so i have had this for 3 years. ghsv1. what types of testing have you gotten to be officially diagnosed? and what type do you have oral? genital?

listen, the initial shock for most people is the worst..and sometimes that first outbreak is even the worst. but just know it takes some time, but with time, it gets better.

life is not going to change much except if you are going to become sexually intimate with someone you will want to have a talk with them if they are non H person. but dont worry there are MANY resources , success stories with the talk, and other helpful links here on this site to help you with the talk when the time comes... that is if you arent in a relationship already..

i would start by reading the success stories in this forum heres the link.. http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/forumdisplay.php?67-The-Secret-to-our-Success

it will help you understand how life really is going to change (which is usually alwys for the better and not for the worse, only if you let it be worse then itll be for the worse, if that makes sense), read many of these stories and ask for members' own experiences... it will help you realize how small this virus is.. eventhough its there for life, it doesnt have to negatively effect your life.. its very common 80% of adults have herpes in one form or another..

if you have had chickenpox, mono, or a coldsore, you have had a strain of herpes anyway..

life will only be horrible if you let it be.. just take some time, de-stress, educate yourself using links provided on your right of this page to learn more about this skin condition.. and pop into live chat on the top of this page if you need anymore questions answered.

any other questions you can also ask here too.. hope all of these responses from us have helped you to geton your way :)

p.s. i have gnital hsv1 for 3 years now and i have so many more things in my life i need to focus on and worry about that herpes to me is not a big deal anymore.. i just have too much more to think about good and bad that herpes is on the back of my mind, :)