World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
joy2122

Done with first outbreak

joy2122

Quick question! Do all doctors make you wait till your second outbreak before starting suppressive therapy? I am FINALLY over my first outbreak and still have some Acyclovir left over. I guess my other question is if I feel another outbreak coming on (if I can tell) can I go ahead and take the Acyclovir and then make an appointment to get the Valtrex or whatever? I really don't love the idea of going through another 2 week long outbreak. Thanks!

GntiNh

Depends on your doctor, some are "you need to fight this virus before we think about suppressive treatment" but hey if you broke your leg he wouldn't suggest you struggle on with just a band aid!

It's your choice as to whether you take suppressants. There is alot of information about the drugs available; Acyclovir and Valtrex, and many have found one is better than the other. It's a case of seeing how your body reacts.

Depends on where you are but some Planned Parenthood clinic with give you a script for suppressants and several US grocery stores; Walmart for example have the drugs under their $4 scheme.

joy2122

Thanks for the reply! I just hate the idea of even letting another one flare up...hopefully I'll be able to feel it come before it actually does!!

Acesheart
Thanks for the reply! I just hate the idea of even letting another one flare up...hopefully I'll be able to feel it come before it actually does!!

Hey joy that is why I stayed on supressive daily antivirals. My first lasted 4 months long and spread to my anus. I have ghsv2 for 25 years now, i still take antivirals daily. No side effects and I get yearly blood test for organ functions. :) I get tingly feelings when i am stressed mostly , down my spine and tail bone area. It is where our genital herps lives. I am prescribed two 500mg Valacyclovir (generic valtrex) 2x's a day, but i just take 1 pill a day. When i get overly stressed or too runned down and feel these prodromes I take two pills a day. I also have stayed on Vit.B12 complex (i get at Walgreens). It relieves stresses, gives energy and promotes nerves health. I have only had 2 outbreaks ever in 25 years, I stayed dormant for 23 years just had 2nd ob last year. Take care honey, Truly Ace :hithere: