World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
simone dells

HSV tranmission both of us are positive to his hand

simone dells

I have had HSV 2 for 20 years, and while I have not had a vaginal OB in 19 years, I do still get outbreaks anally which i had cultured a while back and confirmed.

Sometimes it is so difficult to know if it is an actual HSV outbreak, or anal fissures, or hemorrhoids, all of which I have a long history. So, any itch, pain, ache, blood on bath tissue, visible ulcer/tear next to my obvious internal hemorrhoids, any of these symptoms suddenly become suspect. I wish there was a definite way to know at the moment but all of those symptoms can cause me to have pain or a bit of bleeding.

My boyfriend, who has been positive for 20 years, I believe also HSV 2, made contact anally with his fingers during sex. It was a little painful even with lubrication and I didn't know what was my situation so I asked him to not touch that area. Like I said the pain could indicate any of the following - hemorrhoids which I have flare ups with, anal fissures, which I have a long history of, or a herpes outbreak.

That night I looked and with pulling the skin a bit to examine, did see 2 ulcers...no blisters, they were small and could be a tear right near a large hemorrhoid, on the bottom posterior located at about 5 pm on my anal area. But could also be HSV.

What are the transmission possibilities to my partner's fingers? (he has HSV so he does have antibodies. Also the contact was brief and with a lubricant.

Thank you.

GntiNh

It is possible but highly unlikely. The skin on the fingers is thicker and more use to coming into contact with all sorts of things and simple hand washing after touching the area would kill the virus.

What do you do for your hemorrhoids?

simone dells

Thanks for the reply.

What do I do for the hemorrhoids? Suffer mostly lol. I have used a compounded Nitro cream in the past, to relax the muscle to allow healing.

Now I am thinking I need to tackle this with you know, the usual - increasing fluids, upping fiber, etc etc.

Actually what really perplexes me is that after so many years with HSV, that I still get outbreaks so often - of course assuming that the the symptoms are pretty much always indicative of a herpes OB. I went on Valtrex about 9 years ago after never having been on it, and even with this I feel like I get OBs more often that most who have had herpes 20 + years.

I get prodromal leg pain I would say once every 2 months it seems lately and all of a sudden I am having more OBs than ever before. Sometimes it's the leg pain but not always confirmation of an outbreak . Maybe it's been because of a very stressful 2 years going through a divorce after many years married. You think lol?

Chocolate is a definite trigger so I stay away from that. Any thoughts on why I have more outbreaks than most after having this for so many years (and that's assuming all the symptoms are always HSV and not the other possibilities)

I would love to be in the "club" of those who maybe get an OB once a year :)

Thanks.

GntiNh

Hemorrhoids can a real pain in the butt! Diet can help but don't go too fibre, try soluble fibres like oatmeal as they are "softer" on the digestive system and then you can gradually build up to more fibre.

Are the outbreaks really an outbreak or is it that the roids are so inflamed that it "feels" like an breakout?

Hormones can be a trigger with HSV too (just guessing your age) and stress is a massive factor.

HSV is a slippery one and many people have never found out their triggers or why after years of nothing they can be struck down with what seems constant breakouts.

Would you try the Valtrex again?

If you want any help with the diet let me know (I have IBS so there is not alot I don't know about bowels etc lol)

simone dells

Hi, it's been a busy week....on the oatmeal, I do eat steelcut oats almost every morning. Yes hormones are an issue even though fortunately I work out enough to balance menopausal symptoms and haven't been too bothered. Stress, yes, I am not great about managing that though post divorce it is better. I did decide to go back on valacyclovir (I use the generic of valtrex) because it does give me some peace of mind....

Diet? yes- please, I eat a very healthy diet, leaning towards the Mediterranean Diet program of eating so please, any suggestions to combat Hemorrhoids will be greatly appreciated!

I do feel like the last OB was not hemorrhoids, even though I went to a Care Now location and the PA on a visual exam thought the "lesions" were fissures. But since they responded so well to my valtrex cream I am thinking they were HSV. And now I am a little worried because I had a UTI after the weekend,was e coli bacteria so probably was due to cross contamination from bf not being selective about using his hand :( And all I can think of now is that along with the resulting UTI, could he have introduced HSV from my anal OB to my genitals and now I will have vaginal HSV? Wondering and a concerned about this....? (even though I did have 2 HSV OBs genitally, but that was 21 years ago in my third trimester of pregnancy and have never had one since in that area)

thanks again for the information and help.

GntiNh

The Valacyclovir should help, hope so.

The idea of diet is to make the transit of bowel movements as smooth as possible so ensuring enough fluids in your diet, not just plain water but fruit cordials for example. The idea of soluble fibres is that they are easier for your body to digest and not too aggressive on your system so you can gradually add higher fibre foods.

I know this sounds odd but you actually go to the toilet for a bowel movement lean forward and try not to tense your body as you go.

Ah ecoli can live in your anal passage and not cause any problems but it can easily be transferred to the front and cause UTI, that's why we are taught to wipe from front to back.

You haven't now got HSV in a "new" area - genital HSV means anywhere in that "boxer shorts" area so you could have anal breakouts for years and then have vaginal breakouts. No one knows why it moves within the area but I know of several members that have experienced the same thing.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Haemorrhoids/Pages/Prevention.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hemorrhoids-prevention

Good luck

ritaberry
Hi, it's been a busy week....on the oatmeal, I do eat steelcut oats almost every morning. Yes hormones are an issue even though fortunately I work out enough to balance menopausal symptoms and haven't been too bothered. Stress, yes, I am not great about managing that though post divorce it is better. I did decide to go back on valacyclovir (I use the generic of valtrex) because it does give me some peace of mind.....

I also suffered from continuous outbreaks after being relatively free for many years - I was also going through early menopause and suffered from mild IBS and gastroparesis - which I manage through diet. Something I discovered by chance - my main trigger for herpes I & II OB - was steelcut oatmeal. I also ate this nearly everyday. I came across a site in my search for an answer that mentioned oatmeal as a possible trigger and so I decided to trial this theory - removing it from my diet for 30 days. Afterwards I ate my first bowl and the next day - outbreak! Now, on occasion I have eaten the rare bowl of regular oatmeal (rolled oats) and no issue, but with steelcut I break out every time. I was looking for an answer to this when I discovered your post. I think it may be (but do not have a definitive answer yet) that steelcut is less processed and therefore higher in its nutrients and probably arginine content, too.

I also had issues trying to find the right balance of fiber for healthy bowel. Typically I would spend so much time with 'aftercare' trying to get the area clean that it would irritate and cause problems ie hemorhoids, tears, etc. I tried over the years altering my diet to different ratios of high fiber veggies, fruit and grain but never had consistent results. Recently I stopped eating wheat and my bowels started behaving! Now I have nice, firm 'clean exit' bowel movements. I was very surprised and VERY pleased! Removing wheat also helped with my gastro issues. I know I do not have celiacs as I was biopsied after a particular painful gastric attack sent me to hospital, but I have always known that starchy wheat was a problem for me - it triggers my gastroparesis and makes me painfully gassy and bloated. Now I know even good grainy, high fiber wheat is a problem, no matter how much. And bonus - I can drink alcohol again - with a meal even!