World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
luminousmark

Confused and scared.Need some advice

luminousmark

Here it goes. Long story short,i had sex with a prostitute 7 months ago,unprotected oral and protected vaginal. About a month after the encounter,i got a bad yeast infection which finally heal after roughly about 3 months.

So,i got tested for HIV at 4 and 6 months,and thank God i dodged a bullet. As for the herpes test,i tested at 5 months mark with both HSV 1 & 2 IGG specific antibody blood tests. Yet,the results are both negative. But still,im worried as the doctor gave the results with no values at all,differ with everything i read on the internet.She handled me the paper results and just told me im negative for both.

As for today,all my worries from the past 6 months came back after i notice i have some blisters on my right foot.But i dont know if its a herpes type blisters,i can say it looks like typical blisters that we can got from wearing tight shoes.For the past 6 months before this,i always checked my genitals,buttocks and my lips for the presence of herpes,but still nothing.And to top it off,ive been playing football and jogging lately,its been so hot today and im praying the blisters were caused by the heat.

I dont experience any fever since in earlier January where i had a bad toothache,but im still deeply worried as my final exam is coming in a few weeks. So should i consider being tested again or should i just move on?

luminousmark

As to add to one of my confusions, i didnt know what type of the test my doctor used,only a sample of blood drawn. Thanks for your reply.

WilsoInAus

Check a print out of the results. There are few different types of test and some just come back with positive or negative. This does not give them any less credibility.

Check carefully and if you see IgG HSV-1 negative and IgG HSV-2 negative and this was 5 months (21 weeks) after the exposure, you've had no blisters or specific concerns in the genital area, then it is quite definitive you do not have HSV.

If you are still concerned, then you have nothing to lose by taking a blood test, and ask if it can be a Herpeselect ELISA IgG type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. This test gives you values, but it will be negative (at least in regard to the incident you refer to).

luminousmark

Thanks a lot for replying!

Well, i double check everything and it seems the results are negative. Too bad the doctor doesn't put the name of the test somehow. And btw,how accurate actually herpes tests nowadays?I've been keep on reading for the infos on the internet,and somehow false negative do occur. In my case, how high the chances for the false results occur? Also,is it the 'usual' tests for herpes in a hospital is good and reliable as the HIV rapid test nowadays? The tests also took 3 days to complete,so i can say this is the standard test right?

Im not sure if the Herpeselect are available in here,but last time i went for HIV Elisa test,its kinda expensive for me.

WilsoInAus

The tests are very accurate and improve with each 'upgrade'. Be careful about reading too much on the internet as this will be biased toward the instances where testing has not functioned as expected. There are clinical studies performed from time to time that supprt the numbers below but even these are becoming out of date.

For whatever reason, the detection of HSV-1 antibodies is greater than 90%, but up to 10% of people will not reveal a positive result in a particular commercially available test. Some of these may test positive to another kit or through the golden standard for blood testing, a Western Blot.

For HSV-2, detection of antibodies exceeds 97%.

The tests are sensitive, meaning they do have more of a propensity to generate false positives. In all instances, tests must be reconciled with symptoms and sexual history.

There is not really comparability with HIV, which lives in the blood of infected individuals. Hence testing is usually a combination of looking for the antibodies as well as the presence of the virus thus making it extremely accurate. HSV of course lives in nerve systems and is detected when it comes to the surface or through the presence of antibodies.