World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Fedupwithit

Suppressive therapy throughout pregnancy?

Fedupwithit

Hi there,

Are there any women out there who have taken suppressive, daily meds throughout their ENTIRE pregnancy (i,e not just the last 4 weeks). How was it? Is it safe?

Thank you.

Fed

xxx

pollyanna1

I remember Ace take acyclovir during her entire pregnancy. Maybe she could help you out

Acesheart

hi yes Polly is correct. I started on acyclovir over 25 years ago and just stayed on the antivirals for daily supressive therapy. About 10 years ago I switched to Valtrex brand name, then about two years ago the new insurance company switched me to Valacyclovir, generic valtrex. Now I take nothing. My daughter is.happy healthy and not due to h, she came by csection. I wasn't dialating faster than she was moving into tee birth canal. My h (geniral h 2) stands for honors. My girls been honors in high school and second year of college. She's happy.and healthy and my antivirals didn't affect her in anyway except it's kept her and my now hubby of 23 years, non h. I also take Vit.b12 my doctors were in favor of the extra energy and relief from added stress it provided. Hugs hunny, please talk to your doctor. Truly, Ace

MissHope

I was told that it wasn't safe during the first trimester, but it was OK for the second and third.

I'd certainly be seeking advice from your Doctor just to be sure, for the sake of the little one....

Acesheart

Your most welcome sweety :) . Message me anytime. Your doctor will do what's best for your body. Hugs, Acey

generic217

I'm thinking of starting meds to see if it has any impact. My doc gave me acyclovir. Anyone know what hte dosages should be? He said 800mg three times a day, but I know there are different dosages for when you are having an outbreak and when its to prevent one.

Acesheart
I'm thinking of starting meds to see if it has any impact. My doc gave me acyclovir. Anyone know what hte dosages should be? He said 800mg three times a day, but I know there are different dosages for when you are having an outbreak and when its to prevent one.

Back then, two decades ago before Valtrex came out (name brand only) I took 400mg three times a day, but that was after having the 4 month vag/anus outbreak from hell. I thing I used two 400mg a day because I was only home twice a day (day & night job til 2am) so that is what I think I took. Just talk with doctor, if your having side effects, you may need lower that dosage. Always keep your doctor informed of any and things you take. If you do go supressive daily therapy, get yearly blood test for organ functions. Most doctors will request it, but you be sure to demand it . I fought tooth and nail with some of these dicheads, but in the long run it will benefit you. Always get a copy with every blood test, they have to give you a copy. Then you follow your kidney and the liver enzymes yourself. Good luck and keep us posted. Hugs, Acey

generic217

How quick before they kick in? Do you notice something immediately? After a few weeks? Probably different for everyone.

Acesheart

I was taking antivirals, antibiotics and anti anxiety meds. I do know that the antibiotics kicked in very quickly. They were strong and I was so infected it was green and yellow down south. I felt relieved pretty quickly with the.antivirals but maybe within.the first few days? I don't really know, as the infections were worse than anything I had ever experienced. Truly, hugs Acey

hdz20

My doctor said now they use valtrex with pregnancy all the time i been on suppressive treatment my whole pregnancy & havent had any problems. Just praying everything will be okay im due december 22nd

Acesheart

Congratulations on the new baby. I'm excited to hear that doctors feel Valacyclovir or brand named Valtrex is prescribed. Back 19 years ago they , the doctors, had no issues with me staying in acyclovir. It's all they offered back then. I'm sure everything will be fine. With all these modern day methods and new technology, you and your baby will be just fine. Do you know what your having yet? Take care and please keep us posted. Hugs, Truly Acey

My doctor said now they use valtrex with pregnancy all the time i been on suppressive treatment my whole pregnancy & havent had any problems. Just praying everything will be okay im due december 22nd

hdz20

Im having a baby girl ACE & yes like i said i been on valtrex my whole pregnancy im a lil scared but im being very positive i know me and my baby will be okay, i couldnt be happier is my first baby and im ready for it...

Acesheart

Oh how awesome a little princess, girl's are their mother's bestfriends. My daughter allowed me to be her friend and mother. She's in college now, I phone her for advice. She's why God put me here, it's truly what I believe. When you look into those sweet little eyes, touch those little fingers and realize you made this beautiful human being, who will oneday learn the words."but why"? LOL.. I'm very happy for your family. Please.keep us posted. Truly, Acey

Loveable

I was on suppressive therapy but I was so paranoid I continued to have lots of outbreaks. I was so torn between taking my meds. All that worrying I spent I did have a healthy baby naturally. She is 5 months now. Just enjoy your pregnancy and take your meds.

Fedupwithit
I was on suppressive therapy but I was so paranoid I continued to have lots of outbreaks. I was so torn between taking my meds. All that worrying I spent I did have a healthy baby naturally. She is 5 months now. Just enjoy your pregnancy and take your meds.

Thanks for your message Lovable. Can I just clarify - you DID take meds throughout your entire pregnancy, each day from beginning to end? Or did you stop taking them as you found you were still getting outbreaks anyway (so why bother)? Does suppressive therapy usually work well on you (but just didn't whilst you were pregnant)?

Thank you xxxx

Acesheart
Thanks for your message Lovable. Can I just clarify - you DID take meds throughout your entire pregnancy, each day from beginning to end? Or did you stop taking them as you found you were still getting outbreaks anyway (so why bother)? Does suppressive therapy usually work well on you (but just didn't whilst you were pregnant)?

Thank you xxxx

I did before ,during and after, worked well. :)

jek28

Htz20...did you have your baby? Was everything OK? I have been searching through boards and found this website. I too have HSV-2 and my husband and I are about to try to conceive. I have been on suppressive therapy since I found out 10 years ago: Valtrex 500 mg 1x/day. So far I have not given it to my husband, who I have been with for 9 years. I am extremely worried too about HSV and pregnancy. I too was wondering if any women had taken suppressive therapy throughout entrire pregnancy: while trying to conceive, during pregnancy (all of it), and during breastfeeding. I am terrified of transmitting it to my husband. Any insight would be appreciated and I would love to hear how your pregnancy turned out!

Acesheart
Htz20...did you have your baby? Was everything OK? I have been searching through boards and found this website. I too have HSV-2 and my husband and I are about to try to conceive. I have been on suppressive therapy since I found out 10 years ago: Valtrex 500 mg 1x/day. So far I have not given it to my husband, who I have been with for 9 years. I am extremely worried too about HSV and pregnancy. I too was wondering if any women had taken suppressive therapy throughout entrire pregnancy: while trying to conceive, during pregnancy (all of it), and during breastfeeding. I am terrified of transmitting it to my husband. Any insight would be appreciated and I would love to hear how your pregnancy turned out!

Hey jek28, I did honey before, during and after and even while I breastfed, my daughter is now 20 and happy and healthy :) Good luck and try not to stress. I have had GHSV2 for 28 yrs and I have been married to my non h husband for 25 years this year, so far so good. I no longer take antivirals, I stopped 3 yrs ago and he is still my muggle (non H man). Hugs Aces xo

MissHope

Jek, I just had my second baby (via vaginal delivery) in December and all was fine.

I only took Valtrex for the last 3 weeks to ensure there was no OB for the big day.

I would be double checking with your medical professional on taking Valtrex while conceiving and in the first trimester - I was told by my OB that it wasn't safe for baby in the first trimester as the fetus is forming but obviously, you'd be best to double check.

I don't use any suppressives and I've not yet passed it on to my husband and we've been together for close to five years.

soontobe
Im having a baby girl ACE & yes like i said i been on valtrex my whole pregnancy im a lil scared but im being very positive i know me and my baby will be okay, i couldnt be happier is my first baby and im ready for it...[/

Hey there. I am 21 weeks pregnant, and very scared about the birth of my child contracting hsv2 during delivery and also intercutting I've read about. I just wanted to follow up to see how you and your baby girl are doing and how everything towards the end of your pregnancy. Thanks for your help with this!

kc117

Hey I know exactly how you are feeling. The day I found out I was pregnant I also got the joy of a big fat cold sore. I am prone to anxiety so you can imagine how fun that is with this virus.. but anyways, I posted on here too for help because I had taken valacyclovir so much in my first trimester. I will tell you, I have talked to my OB and another OB AND the OTIS line which specializes in medicine safety during pregnancy AND my husband who is a pharmacist, and all have given me the go ahead saying it is totally safe. I am relying on them that it was ok, and even when talking to OTIS they said it has been so widely studied that they don't even hesitate recommending it to pregnant women. I have two other girls and had to take valacyclovir while breastfeeding too and they are both totally healthy and perfectly bright. i talked to their pediatrician beforehand just to make sure and he said that when newborns are born with herpes that they treat them with way more valacyclovir than what is found in the milk and it is totally safe. I figure if me the ridiculously worry wart of a woman can somehow come to grips and calm down anyone can, so I hope this helps you as I have also been helped with so much in this forum as well.

MissHope

I just needed to comment on this and say that for each pregnant mumma, she needs to make a decision she is comfortable with - on the advice of her Doctors, not us forum members.

My December baby was born with Hirschsprung's Disease - a rare genetic condition that affects 1 in 5000 and occurs during the foetal formation in the first trimester. For him it meant his bowel didn't form properly so he had surgery at 1 week old to remove a 15cm section of his bowel. We have already been hospitalised three times with him in the first three months and he will have lifelong issues with continence and diet, but it is manageable (just like herpes).

It can be hereditary (not in our case) or random; I didn't take Valtrex in the first trimester and its absolutely not herpes related. For us, it was just pure bad lack…. However, as it is such a crucial time, I just wanted to say that I would take the discomfort and pain of 1000 outbreaks before I jeopardised the health of my unborn baby through taking medication or supplements for those first 12-14 weeks.

Obviously we are a very rare case and I again I stress, his condition is in no way affected by my having herpes so I'm not trying to put anyone off, but just giving another side to the story for consideration.