Nerve damage?

Shayna

I might. It's been painful and itchy everyday for many years but never actual ob's or redness. This is only on the right side.

There is a distinct difference in the everyday and the tingly days or the actual ob days. The ob's have only been on the right.

I looked up Post herpetic neuralgia but they don't seem to apply it to hsv only to zoster.

Ya know I was kinda wondering if this was a problem with my situation I posted before.

I did also develop what my doctor said was carpal tunnel in my right arm. Not necessarily my wrist, but my entire arm has a constant heaviness and tingliness especially when I wake up in the morning. I cant sleep on my right side anymore because laying on it for a period of time hurts. Its only the right arm, not the right. This only started happening after my first outbreak so I think its definitely linked.

The nerves are a mess at and around my tailbone. It hurt with my first OB and hasn't gotten better.

The other morning I sat in a car with the heated seat on and it felt Horrible! It was like electrical current going through me.

permanent pain?

Hi,

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I got my first ob a little over three weeks ago. The lesions are now totally cleared up, but the pain is still there. I constantly experience burning and itching, and sometimes after alot of walking it feels like I have a thorn bush inbetween my legs. I just came back from vacation and the whole time I was very uncomfortable! I went on a hike and a few long walks, during those times all I could think about was how badly my vulva hurt. I felt like shoving my hand down my pants and scratching away, but that only makes it worse!! Even while I sit here writing this my vulva burns and my anus itches. Is this how the rest of my life is going to be? I can't take it. I can't sit for long periods of time eighter my buttocks hurts.

My lesions are all cleared up. Why does it still hurt like they are there?? I'm really depressed.

It won't be that way forever. But you did a good job of describing what I experience by thornbush. I kept envisioning those prickly little stickers that get caught in your socks - those things would cause this type of sensation.

Honestly it does get better with time. My only one bad ob had that residual feeling for about a month and then it was like heaven when it was calm again.

Some sensations seem to stay around for a while but the overall "satan has moved in to my panties" feeling does get to be less of an ordeal.

The thing that stays for me is this weird itching on my left side it is worst at night if I get hot and right before my period. When theres an ob you don't dare scratch because it doesn't make the itch go away and it increases the pain.

LOL...I love that "Satan has moved into my panties" omg..this is one of the first times I've found something, pertaining to herpes, funny.

Thanks, I needed that.

exorcisim

Thanks caliope your words always help me. Im really going through a difficult time right now because I thought the pain would be going away by now. I'm going on week 4! I hate this f**king crown of thorns in my panties!!!! I pray it goes away!!! Well if not us girls should get together and hold an exorcisim!! good nite girls

when i have my OBS, apart from leg aches and tingles they dont itch or be sore or really bother me TBF - apart from the mental side of it all.

I am not sure if all nerve damages are the same way, but my leg/calf nerve was pinched because of a whole day skiing in a overly tight boot. I could not feel my heel for many months and had the pain on the leg. I went to doctor, he told me had to let it heal naturally. So I just tried to do everything normal. After six to seven months, I finally can feel my heel again.

Another time for a week I felt numbness, tingling and short shooting pain on my left arm, also pinching pain on my left side ribcage, I thought it was a heart attack, but after all the checking in emergency room, it was because I had low red blood cell count. It went away after I took some iron pills.

Maybe some other reason can also cause the nerve pain?

I really feel the importance of exercise, stretches, loose panties, keep the circulation good to enable the medicine and nutrition moves well to the site before it metabolised. When have an ob, try to use non-stick bandage to temporarily cover the lesion when you move around. I had to use it because I had them too often :(.

Hope you feel better...

Post Herpetic Neuralgia (PHN)

There is a condition called Post Herpetic Neuralgia (PHN) which is nerve damage that can occassionally remain after the outbreak has gone.

PHN is a sharp pain that persists long after the actual herpes outbreaks have ceased, however, this condition commonly occurs in people who have been affected by Shingles (Herpes zoster) rather than Herpes simplex viral infections (such as coldsores and genital herpes).

PHN Information:

http://facial-neuralgia.org/conditions/postherp.html

http://www.aftershingles.com/phn.html

If the pain is related to PHN, one approach that can be helpful is to rub a blend of specific oils (such as Evening Primrose, Vitamin E, Rosemary and Lavender) into the affected area. Rubbing these oils into the affected area on a regular basis may help to settle down the nerves affected by the herpes virus.

These supplements may also help with Post Herpetic Neuralgia:

• Vitamins A, C and E
  • Chromium
  • B complex
  • One 400 mg of chondroitin sulfate daily and 500 glucosamine sulfate 2-3 times daily. These are normally used for arthritis
  • Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) reverses nerve damage in diabetics
  • Capsaicin cream. Capsaicin is a substance contained in cayenne peppers. Although it may not provide complete pain relief, it may help relieve minor pain in some people. Capsaicin cream is applied directly to the skin over the painful area.
  • Acupuncture is used to relieve pain and treat certain health conditions. It may be used alone or as part of a treatment program
  • Other sources of gamma-linolenic acid, such as borage or black current seed oil, help reduce inflammation in diabetic nerve damage, thus reversing neuropathy associated with diabetes.
  • A diet high in a nutrient called inositol (found in cantaloupe, grapefruit, and whole grains) helps with neuropathy.

Many of these things may be obtainable through Global Herbal Supplies.

I hope you find some of this info useful.

Why is there such denial in the medical establishment about HSV1&2 causing neuralgia? Medical sources seem to state that PHN is only caused by shingles. My foot hurts like hell but my doctor thinks I am crazy to think my GHVS1 is causing it. There are forums on these sites specifically dedicated to PHN caused by HSV1&2 but still it's not recognized by the medical elite. What's going on?

probably just pure ignorance or they currently lack the ability to see the correlation.

remember way back when there was no such thing as pms. women were considered just plain crazy for complaining about menstrual cramps and bloating. then they start to recognize it and instantly you can buy Midol. now everything gets blamed on pms instead of the fact that some jerk deserved you to tell him off and it's not even close to your time of the month. sorry got lost on a tangent.

besides since hsv is so stigmatized not many foundations etc want to change how people look at it and how people who are afflicted with hsv suffer.

Now if we wanted to change the world we'd start a campaign to advertise that it causes neurological damage and it needs to be recognized and treated just like phn. Heck it is phn.

PHN in Herpes simplex

Extensive inflammation of the nerves and prolonged pain (sometimes for months or even years later) normally develops in Herpes zoster cases, rather than parasthesiae (pins and needles, tingling sensations, pains, etc) which tends to occur in recurrent Herpes simplex.

PHN can be extremely severe and prolonged and is the number one complication of Herpes zoster (Shingles). I think the difference in the degree of damage to the nerves left from the Herpes zoster virus, compared to the Herpes simplex virus, would be greatly related to the different modes of action of the two viruses.

In saying that, there are cases of PHN occuring in Herpes simplex patients but it is a less documented and not widely studied.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

Well after a round of diflucan and treatment for bacterial vaginosis I still feel the same. It burns when I urinate and during sex. My doctor has referred me to a vulvodynia doctor of some sort, but im convinced now that what I have is nerve damage. I did a LOT of searching tonight and found this board... http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=165911&highlight=diflucan I dont know if im allowed to post it or not but its perfect for this topic and I know it will help a lot of you out that are having nerve damage due to herpes.. It definitely made me feel better. Good luck to all of you.. I know I need it.

To Astara777,

I have experienced the exact same thing, except I experience the tingling in my left arm and hand. I also get pain in my back and the back of my head. There is a tingling feeling on the right side of my head. This did not start until after I was diagnosed, so I know it must be related to the virus.

my first ob was in april 1, 2007, today is june 18, 2007 and i still have constant daily pain and discomfort. i wont even exercise right now because when i do, the pain is just unbearable. my lower back and tailbone always feels as if i just fell off a speeding sled and landed on my butt. sitting or driving for any length of time is torture. i drive 40 minutes each day one way to work and back and when i get out of the car, i could cry the pain is so bad. this virus sucks, as does the scum bag who gave it to me.

To Astara777,

The website that you posted was very informative. I see that I am not the only one experiencing a lot of those symptoms. As recently as this weekend, I was in a lot of pain (my back, neck, and base of my head), it is very frustrating because it seems as if nothing really works to relieve the pain. I take Motrin and Tylenol and the pain will go away for a while, but then it will return. I also do exercises, stretches, and massage the areas. Most of the time it is only short-term relief. I am sitting here right now feeling so grateful because the pain has subsided for now and I am extremely happy!

I wish everyone the best because if you all are experiencing the same type of pain that I am, you are going to need all of the support you can get.:)