Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gnitruh

1/2? HSV/HPV?..too many ???

6 posts in this topic

Hi....I have 2 questions, both of which I have tried to research myself with no success so any feed back will be apprciated:D

1. I'm diagnosed with 1 and 2 and am unsure if they are both genital, or if my 1 is oral and my 2 is genital. I dont get cold sores but do get vague oral irritations (ulser like). My genital OB's if any are extremely mild. Is there a test that can determine if both 1 and 2 are genital.

2. Are HSV and HPV in the same category? Ive noticed on a Herpes dating forum (yes I've been looking because I wont ever be able to reveal my condition to a non-infected person) that some list HPV as there condition and not HSV. Are they related? Can they be inter-transmitted (is that a word:confused:).

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light. Have a great day.

both hsv and hpv are sexually transmitted and are completely different viruses in completely different families.

perhaps because the forum includes individuals who have both viruses some people only disclose the one they have. you don't necessarily have to have both to participate.

if you have a swab done during an active ob in the genital area and it can be cultured in the lab this would probably be able to tell you if both are located genitally. the fact that you get some types of mouth ulcers may indicate an oral infection but without a swab and a culture It would be difficult to determine which one it is or if it is both.

I am unsure if when someone who has both viruses has an ob if both strains are active at the same time.

well. agreeing with caliope. and just to shed a little more light on your situation... type 1 most typically affects the oral area. type 2 the genital. but they both can be interchanged. so it is possible for you to have both type 1 and 2 in the genital area. but not very likely. you probably have oral type 1 and genital type 2. and HPV is actually genital warts. so something entirely different. just so you know what hpv actually is.

I have HSV and HPV and to be honest have never had an occurence after the initial outbreak of HPV.

I am always aware i have HPV and when i go for a smear i ask for them to have a look to see if warts are present, the two virus's together can in some cases cause cervical cancer, so i have to be up to date with my smears.

The HPV and HSV virus are very contagious, and can rear their ugly head at any time.

Hope this has helped

HPV is the human papilloma virus and actually only a few strains of it cause genital warts. HPV has over a hundred strains and contracting the virus does NOT mean you have necessarily contracted the type that causes genital warts; the strains that DO NOT cause warts are actually the strains being associated with higher risk of developing cancer later down the line. HSV is herpes simplex virus, and two strains are looked at: type 1 and type 2. It is possible to contract both HSV and HPV at the same time if both viruses are active at the time. With the strains of HPV that cause genital warts, most people only experience the initial outbreak of warts and if treated in most cases never return, as the virus lays dormant in the system. HPV strains that cause warts, for whatever reason, tend to lie dormant after the initial outbreaks of warts and in most cases never return, although the virus still is asleep in their bodies forever. A small percentage will get reoccurences of warts after the initial outbreak. However, herpes virus reactivates much more often for the majority affected and is easy to contract even when a person who has it is not showing ANY signs of an outbreak. They are two very different viruses but if a person has one or the other, they can still contract the opposite virus, just as if a person has one or either, they can still transmit both of their viruses to others. Hope this helps a bit :)

Box of Rain, i have learnt more from your post about HPV than i was ever told by the STD clinic.

I was just told that i had to have regular smears as i had a greater chance of cervical cancer.

Many thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Hester
      I bought some drops the other day to try. I tried a couple drops under my tongue!  Nasty stuff!  Washing down with water helps but I still hate it. Are you doing drops or capsules?  I wonder if it really helps?
    • Hester
      The response of your previous doctors is infuriating. So glad you took the initiative to look for more adequate health care!  Best wishes for your continued recovery. Sounds like you're in good hands now!
    • Terrell
      He's no man
    • NancyB
      I had unprotected sex including oral sex with my sometime boyfriend last January.  About 10 days later, I became very ill with a severe painful burning mouth.  Other symptoms quickly followed which included oral thrush (yeast), chills/fevers, inability to eat, difficulty swallowing, feeling extremely ill, weight loss, constant nausea, coughing, etc.  These symptoms lasted for months and months.   I was seen initially at an urgent care center in Florida.  They diagnosed me with oral thrush and treated with the usual stuff (nystatin swish and swallow, lozenges and oral Diflucan).  Nothing worked, and the medical people there would not believe that I had esophageal candida when I told them it was in my esophagus and I was still very ill.  All they said was, you cannot have that, do not have that, etc.   When I came back to Michigan March 31, I thought my doctors here would be able to diagnose and take care of this.  However, that did not occur.  They all basically said the same thing as the medical people in Florida and I continued to be ill.  I finally had to schedule an endoscopy with my gastroenterologist to get diagnosed.  I got diagnosed in early June with esophageal candida.  No surprise to me.   I was subsequently put on an oral anti fungal solution.  I felt that what was underlying my condition had something to do with HSV 1.  I sought out a diagnosis for that.  I was tested, but after testing, I was told I tested positive for having had the virus at some time, but had no active infection.  After just under 3 weeks, I was symptom free for about 11 days.  Then, the candida recurred.  I was put back on the oral solution the middle of July.  I thought that because I had this that things with my medical team would move along more quickly, since before this, no one seemed to be concerned that I was so ill.  Again, that did not happen.  Basically, the doctors just passed the buck and I got no better.  I finally fired all of my medical team and secured the help of a new internist and a new infectious disease physician with his help.  This took a number of weeks to get this accomplished.  I saw my new infectious disease physician on August 18th and was diagnosed a week later with a severe HSV 1 extended reaction.  I was put on the antiviral, Valtrex, and was told to continue on the anti fungal.  I am not sure how long it will take to get over this, but I think I read it could be a year.  However, the candida would never have cleared up if I had not had suppressive antiviral therapy or the reaction had not abated.  You are probably asking how we know this is a first exposure reaction to HSV 1.  Well, no one would be this sick unless this was a 1st exposure reaction.
    • Hester
    • MelodyWhisper
      After two long and stressful weeks, my blood work came back negative. I've been crying since I found out. I was so scared that I would be positive and have to confront my ex/assaulter. I can move on with my life. Thank you to everyone who has supported me on here: Lisajd, LucyLevi, and JBnATL . It means so much! I can't thank you  enough.
    • LiveLife100
      @Motherhen32, I am sorry you are going through this!! Blood is NOT HSV2 so if you are bleeding please call your Dr right away! Also, please talk to your Dr about the issues surrounding HSV2 and a natural delivery. I had 2 children post HSV2 and was planning a natural delivery until I had a separate issue (placenta previa). My understanding is that you can take suppressive medication for the remainder of your pregnancy and if there is no sign of OB you should be able to deliver naturally. If you are having an OB, then you would need a c-section. Either way, everything will be ok!!
    • Blahdittilyblah
      Hello, you have support here through this forum. We all are going through this. I'm new only a couple weeks adjusting, but I find it amazing to hear other people's story's and advice. I've only told my mother and father and one close friend. But my partner is in the same position as you, and I suggest speaking here first get comfortable with this and then maybe if necessary you can speak to someone personal you know, but your not alone were are evidence of that. 
    • rayk7536
      Hello everybody.  I'm a newbie to this forum.  Not new to "H".  I'm 66, retired, live on long island, and am single.  
    • Motherhen32
      I don't know what to do.. I have no support and I'm not sure if I would want to tell anyone about the virus anyways 
  • Featured