Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1/2? HSV/HPV?..too many ???

6 posts in this topic

Hi....I have 2 questions, both of which I have tried to research myself with no success so any feed back will be apprciated:D

1. I'm diagnosed with 1 and 2 and am unsure if they are both genital, or if my 1 is oral and my 2 is genital. I dont get cold sores but do get vague oral irritations (ulser like). My genital OB's if any are extremely mild. Is there a test that can determine if both 1 and 2 are genital.

2. Are HSV and HPV in the same category? Ive noticed on a Herpes dating forum (yes I've been looking because I wont ever be able to reveal my condition to a non-infected person) that some list HPV as there condition and not HSV. Are they related? Can they be inter-transmitted (is that a word:confused:).

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light. Have a great day.

both hsv and hpv are sexually transmitted and are completely different viruses in completely different families.

perhaps because the forum includes individuals who have both viruses some people only disclose the one they have. you don't necessarily have to have both to participate.

if you have a swab done during an active ob in the genital area and it can be cultured in the lab this would probably be able to tell you if both are located genitally. the fact that you get some types of mouth ulcers may indicate an oral infection but without a swab and a culture It would be difficult to determine which one it is or if it is both.

I am unsure if when someone who has both viruses has an ob if both strains are active at the same time.

well. agreeing with caliope. and just to shed a little more light on your situation... type 1 most typically affects the oral area. type 2 the genital. but they both can be interchanged. so it is possible for you to have both type 1 and 2 in the genital area. but not very likely. you probably have oral type 1 and genital type 2. and HPV is actually genital warts. so something entirely different. just so you know what hpv actually is.

I have HSV and HPV and to be honest have never had an occurence after the initial outbreak of HPV.

I am always aware i have HPV and when i go for a smear i ask for them to have a look to see if warts are present, the two virus's together can in some cases cause cervical cancer, so i have to be up to date with my smears.

The HPV and HSV virus are very contagious, and can rear their ugly head at any time.

Hope this has helped

HPV is the human papilloma virus and actually only a few strains of it cause genital warts. HPV has over a hundred strains and contracting the virus does NOT mean you have necessarily contracted the type that causes genital warts; the strains that DO NOT cause warts are actually the strains being associated with higher risk of developing cancer later down the line. HSV is herpes simplex virus, and two strains are looked at: type 1 and type 2. It is possible to contract both HSV and HPV at the same time if both viruses are active at the time. With the strains of HPV that cause genital warts, most people only experience the initial outbreak of warts and if treated in most cases never return, as the virus lays dormant in the system. HPV strains that cause warts, for whatever reason, tend to lie dormant after the initial outbreaks of warts and in most cases never return, although the virus still is asleep in their bodies forever. A small percentage will get reoccurences of warts after the initial outbreak. However, herpes virus reactivates much more often for the majority affected and is easy to contract even when a person who has it is not showing ANY signs of an outbreak. They are two very different viruses but if a person has one or the other, they can still contract the opposite virus, just as if a person has one or either, they can still transmit both of their viruses to others. Hope this helps a bit :)

Box of Rain, i have learnt more from your post about HPV than i was ever told by the STD clinic.

I was just told that i had to have regular smears as i had a greater chance of cervical cancer.

Many thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Lostnconfused114
      Hello everyone. I was diagnosed last week and I told my ex (were working things out) and he completely freaked out. We've been together about 2 years, we're in a long distance relationship. I told him about a girl I dated then he told me she had herpes. A year later (present time) I decided to take a blood test since I never saw any bumps and it was positive. He was obviously very hurt saying I broke his heart, every time he thinks about it he gets sick to his stomach, and things will never be the same. I've tried to contact him since getting his first response but he shuts down we he gets angry. I don't know how to take his reaction, whether to be hopeful or begin the healing process. We both thought each other were the one, but I know he is very uncomfortable with the idea of herpes. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
    • Free73
      There is no such thing as being tested only for HSV2. The test will show the presence of antibodoes in the blood. If it is negative then there are no HSV antibodies.
    • Andyp
      Hello again!!  Just got my results,  they came back negative for everything!  Didn't realized I was only getting tested for Hsv2 though (.84 igg).  Soooooo I need to get  tested again to see if maybe I'm dealing with hsv1...
    • herpes123
      @StayingUpbeat     Thank you for your post regarding participation in the trial.  As you have a lot of knowledge of herpes and vaccines - You say you wish he had included viral shedding results in his trial.  Did he measure that and have participants swab ?  Or was it just self reported symptoms by the participants ?  I recall seeing that you were skeptical that Admedus released results that didn't seem significant and that there was wording that you thought they were not fully forthcoming as perhaps they were less than expected.  What are your thoughts on the released results of Dr. Halford ?  How do these compare to Admedus and Gen-003 and current reported results ? Don't you think if Dr. Halford has a solid vaccine that he'd be able to raise more money ?  I'm not talking about an Indi-GoGo or GoFundMe, but real money ?  Seems like Genocea has no trouble raising millions. Thank you in advance.
    • adiebear
      AVIAF, first things first- your OB.
      I don't know what the doc said, but what works for me in teh event of an ob is to whack it with valtrex.
      Depending on the severity (my OBs have lessened)- if it's hectic, I'll take 2x500mg at once, 1 later and 1 more in the course of the first day.
      One three times daily the next day. Usually, however, 2 a day works for me. There sure are ointments. Anything from the pharmacy with Acyclovir. You'll have different brand names in your country, but Fenivir/ Fenistil is very effective. As to the isolation- you are not alone: - a good read! And you feel like an outcast mostly cos of the stigma generated by big pharma's marketing- see below (a bit out of date) How herpes got its stigma
      “It is easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been
      fooled.” – Mark Twain
      For anyone in the twenty first century it is hard to believe that there was a time when ‘herpes’ was not a stigmatised and feared condition. But this is true.
      Less than forty years ago genital herpes was largely ignored. Newly diagnosed patients were not made to feel that a common skin condition had just ended
      their chance of having future relationships. Doctors knew that they were simply dealing with the manifestation of the common facial cold sore
      on a different site and they treated it appropriately. In the early 1980s things changed. How and why did this happen?
      The history of the genital herpes stigma dates back a mere 30 years. Before then, the condition, which was first named by the Ancient Greeks, was well
      known to doctors – but it was not invested with the terror it commands today and the word herpes barely registered with the public.
      Two viruses are responsible for genital herpes and facial cold sores. They are called herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex type 2 (HSV- 2). Either virus may be caught in either place.  The start of modern sexual health services
      The modern era of sexual health treatment in the UK began in 1917, with the passing of the Venereal Disease Act as millions of soldiers who had been mobilised during the First World War returned home and began to infect their partners with the ‘social diseases’ they had acquired. This led to a public-health crisis that terrified the government of the day, so a network of publicly funded clinics was set up. The Venereal Diseases Act of 1917 named syphilis, gonorrhoea and soft
      chancre (or chancroid) as dangerous diseases for which free treatment was to become compulsory. Genital herpes did not get a look in. It was known to be a common and self-limiting and was rightly considered to be no more significant than a facial cold sore.
      Little changed in the intervening 60 years. Publichealth films were shown in cinemas to encourage fidelity and abstinence, and these films highlighted the horrors of syphilis and gonorrhoea while herpes was ignored. Indeed, genital herpes was so far below the radar that, as recently as 1975, the standard textbook for obstetric and gynaecological nursing did not even have the word herpes in the index. This omission would be unimaginable today.
      The role of antiviral drugs
      Meanwhile, antibiotics had succeeded in vanquishing previously feared bacterial infections like syphilis and gonorrhoea. Pharmaceutical research moved on to the next holy grail: antiviral drugs.
      Finally in the late 1970s, one company, Burroughs Wellcome, succeeded, but the drug it developed only had an impact on some viruses in the herpes family – mainly chickenpox and herpes simplex. At the time, these were not usually considered serious enough to require treatment at all in most cases and there was no pent-up demand for expensive new drugs. Almost everyone who caught these common infections recovered without treatment. So most patients were only offered
      palliatives. Herpes simplex may recur in a milder form before symptoms heal again. Chickenpox is a common childhood ailment that scarcely affects healthy children and causes no further problems unless it recurs as shingles, which mainly occurs in the elderly.
      So having developed aciclovir, the drug company required a return on investment. But its marketing men had a problem: none of the conditions the drug
      might be used for required treatment except in extreme cases.
      The herpes stigma is born
      The answer was to pitch the drug at genital herpes patients. The trick would be to persuade them that the condition was serious enough to warrant expensive drug treatment. A disease-awareness campaign was organised to alert doctors and patients to the benefits of the new drug. The case was made by ‘marketing’ genital herpes so that it acquired the status of an important disease.
      The strategy was spectacularly successful. Articles began to appear in newspapers. In the US, herpes became the cover story for Time magazine twice. Anything negative about the condition was highlighted in order to raise public concern. The masterstroke was to use the word ‘incurable’ to make genital cold sores seem serious. More than any other single thing, this created the stigma that has never gone away. Thrush, chickenpox and glandular fever are among a host of infections that stay in the body but most people would be pushed to name any apart from ‘herpes’.
      Disease-mongering had gone mainstream. The trick had been to market herpes, not aciclovir. Once herpes hit the big time, the success of aciclovir was assured. This echoed the marketing of the antiseptic mouthwash Listerine in the 1920s, which turned a floor cleaner into a cure for ‘chronic halitosis’. In the words of advertising scholar James B Twitchell, ‘Listerine did not make mouthwash as much as it made halitosis’. In America, Burroughs Wellcome sponsored support groups to advise ‘sufferers’ of the benefits of the new drug. In the UK, a charity emerged, the Herpes Viruses Association (HVA). It was oblivious to the fact that its appearance had been prompted by a drug-marketing campaign. A helpline was set up and was immediately besieged by newly distraught patients. One said, ‘I wish I had cancer, then at least people would feel sorry for me. As it is, I can’t even tell them what I’ve got.’ The HVA’s first director believed that if he spent two or three years setting the record straight, the charity could then be wound up. Thirty years later, it is still going strong and is needed more than ever.
      Genital herpes is now accepted as one of the most stigmatised of all medical conditions. A Harris Interactive poll in the US in 2007 found that 39 per cent of patients were troubled by social stigma and 38 per cent made up excuses to avoid sex during an outbreak, rather than tell a partner. Only HIV was ranked higher for stigma, a truly bizarre finding for an infection that is carried by at least three quarters of the population.
      Herpes: common and largely undiagnosed
      Herpes simplex is a largely hidden condition because most people get mild symptoms or none at all, so they are not diagnosed. Prevalence is high and one recent study of women between the ages of 35 and 44 found that 85 per cent have HSV-1 and 22 percent have HSV-2. The HVA divides its time between advising a relatively small number of people who experience recurrent symptoms and reassuring a much larger number about transmission. Symptoms
      can usually be treated or prevented once people know what to do about them.
      A more difficult task is explaining the origin of the stigma and the reasons why it is unnecessary. Marian Nicholson, the HVA’s director said, ‘Over and over again, callers to our helpline say, “I can deal with my symptoms, they don’t bother me, but I am terrified of passing this on to a new partner.”’ Sufferers fear rejection, although an HVA survey has shown that this usually doesn’t happen. The artificially created stigma has caused the problem that has given this charity its raison d’être. Genital herpes is now perceived as a social and sexual death sentence.
      The problem is that few sexual health experts believe that genital herpes has serious consequences. The British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH) has an expert group for herpes simplex. If herpes simplex is serious in any sense at all it is because of the stigma, not the condition itself. As a comparison, influenza is not generally considered to be serious, although it kills thousands of people every year in the UK so it is a far more serious problem than herpes. Over 90 percent of people with flu or herpes simplex do not have a serious condition. Those with severe symptoms deserve and usually get more support, but their experience is atypical.
      Thirty years on (slightly more now) from the great marketing campaign, the stigma remains and is now bolstered by jokes, internet chat rooms, dating services and purveyors of fake ‘cures’. Is there a dating service for ‘sufferers’ from facial cold sores? No. Why not? The lack of joined-up thinking is clearer than ever. A hundred years ago, the Royal Commission that led to the setting up of our sexual health services was clear when it named the three infections that required treating and contact tracing and recommended that legal compulsion be adopted to ensure that they were contained. Genital herpes was not among them for sound medical reasons. But back then, nobody had tried to fool people about it.
      Nigel Scott I know it's all cold comfort when you are on your own a long way from home, but this is a safe place with loads of support.
    • Tiredmom96
      Yes suppressive therapy can work wonders and works so much better taking it every day as opposed to taking it when you already have an OB.   You might find the side effects lessen over time.  
    • Tiredmom96
      I've had GHV2 for 20 years.  I suffered for about 8 years with very frequent outbreaks but always sacral outbreaks (have never had a true genital OB to my knowledge).   About 12 years ago I started taking 1 gram of Valtrex daily and it changed my life!  I went from 10 or more very painful OBs per year to getting maybe one every year or two and they were very minor. The last OB I had was in 2013 until last month.  I got a fairly bad one, probably the worst I've had while on Valtrex but still not as bad as before.  I was bummed but I had a good three year break from Obs so I wasn't too worried until now. I woke up this morning with another one in the exact same spot literally just one month from the last one!  I'm already taking Valtrex every day so I don't know what to do.  I'm scared this is going to be the start of getting these things every month again.  I cannot go back to that.  I just can't.  I'm in a new relationship now with someone who doesn't have it and scared I'll pass it on.  I know you can pass it without symptoms anyway but feel like I'm more contagious if I'm getting OBs again. Anyone else experience this?  What did you do?  Did switching to a different med help?  I'm on generic valycyclovir.  I've put a call into my Doctor to ask about options but he hasn't responded yet.
    • YammyTea
      Hello All! In my quest of acceptance of "all of me" I came across the thought of love again. After my initial diagnosis, I put it all the way in the back of my mind. For the benefit of women like me, I want to start a thread that included stories of love....happily ever to speak.  Please share. Thanks!
    • Learning2CopeAZ
      Thanks @BeWell&Win I had a culture done because of what turned out to be my 1st outbreak.  I then had the bloodtest last week, waiting on the results.   He told me last night that he figures he must have it because we've been together for 12 years and monogamous.  But he's still hesitant to have sex.  Maybe his next trip home, he said.  It's weird to go from being the one who needs support to the one who needs to support him.   It's brought us closer together, even though we aren't having sex.  Go figure! This site is so helpful and the support here is amazing!
    • agamemnus
      Yeah, I think so. I am really excited by Genocea's prospects but others are starting to show some better results than in the past as well.
  • Featured