working out or swimming with an ob?

justanotherguy

does this bother anybody else? i am still trying to pin down my diagnosis, but it seems that working out doesn't bother me, but swimming provokes a reddenning of the area.

sound familiar to anyone else? i've posted this elsewhere too, but it can be a broad topic.

thanks.

working out or swimming

If what I am having is an outbreak.. then, yes, it does bother me to work out..

Running especially..causes friction and morning burning/hotness.

speaking of swimming, and now i will add hot tubs, is it okay to partake in either activity at any time? i feel like i have germs ALL OF THE TIME, even though i do not have an ob; guess it still the newness of accepting and dealing with this.

swimming pools usually have enough chlorine in them to kill most cooties that are in the water. hot tubs have the potential to have more cooties than a pool so could be something that could irritate. I guess it depends on the owner and how they are maintained.

For the past week and a half, I have been working out (treadmill and weight training). I noticed that I got an ob and this timeit is more irritated in my vagina area. I am wondering if the sweat and friction from running caused it? I am going to continue to observe my ob while exercising. Who knows, maybe my ob is due to exercising, but I am not going to stop exercising because otherwise it helps me to feel energized and upbeat.

Bluefrog,i do understand how you feel, i went swimming, just as my 2nd ob was coming to the end, i stayed in for a really short while, as it didn't feel right to me.

I just kept thinking what if these chemicals didn't kill the germs,and here i am contaminating the public pool, so came out, my guilt got the better of me!!

uk girl, i can completely understand your feelings on that. i def would not swim if i had an ob, but i dont, but still havent tested the "waters".

working out

I worked out today and I noticed that "she" got very irritated and started to burn. It sucks that it's so difficult for me to work out and try to stay fit, but that lil effer won't quit. We all need to become scientists and come up with a cure...

This is sooo irritating..

i can't really tell if it bothers me or not. sometimes when i get out of the pool, it feels a little bit like a burning sensation and the skin is tight...but i am actually horrible at pinpointing or describing my symptoms, as they change with my mood and thoughts, oddly enough.

well, i was in my swimming pool for the first time today and the first time since diagnosis. it has been 5 hours, and so far, everything is A-OK. let's hope it continues to be too......:)

i just spent 2 weeks biking and swimming, and had no issues. infact the only issue i have is that i didnt get a tan :)

pools, have more then enough chemicals to kill anything, if your lucky they even have the one that turns purple when people pee. so do not let that tiny little voice in the back of your head ruin your nice cool relief on a hot day.

working out> when i started biking i was fearfull, all that pressure, and friction i was bound to have a outbreak, but nothing... maybe its cause i was prepared, and bought a triple gel seat that you just slap on top of the other seat.. but so far so good.

When I had frequent OBs, I did not swim in the pool. I kept working out using a waterproof siliconbacking bandaid on the spot to prevent that sensitive sore from rubbing. Took it off after showering, and then change into a breathable bandaid after topical stuff. It helped a lot. I feel it is important to give that area more topical care after an OB like Aloe or lotion to help the new skin grow stronger.

I think the flesh-colored silicon bandaid should be good for swimming too, and chose your movement like, free style maybe easier to do!

• 1 month later...

Making sure to keep the area dry and cool will help with that. If you feel extra sweaty make sure to go dry the area. Wear cotton underwear...use cornstarch based powder, something without perfumes in it so it does not burn. I immediately wash and dry the area when I am done...helps with healing also. I wouldnt suggest band aids because the area needs air to heal properly...but I guess if that helps some people with the chafing issue...lol...I swim with no problem also...and I do not believe because of the high amount of chlorine that you should be worried about that. You would be more likely to catch a stomach virus from a pool...especialy public ones...

Making sure to keep the area dry and cool will help with that. If you feel extra sweaty make sure to go dry the area. Wear cotton underwear...use cornstarch based powder, something without perfumes in it so it does not burn. I immediately wash and dry the area when I am done...helps with healing also. I wouldnt suggest band aids because the area needs air to heal properly...but I guess if that helps some people with the chafing issue...lol...I swim with no problem also...and I do not believe because of the high amount of chlorine that you should be worried about that. You would be more likely to catch a stomach virus from a pool...especialy public ones...

Hopefully they have high enough levels of chlorine.

If you go to local pool websites...they have to have strong enough chlorine due to children swimming in the pools. They talk about prevention of illness in children. I used to be a lifegaurd and the chemicals they use are very powerful. That would be the craziest thing if someone caught H from a pool...lol...the chances of that I dont think are that high. Water is composed of a lot of Oxygen...therefore H cannot live in oxygen for a hell of alot of time. I have two children and trust me if I was worried I wouldnt swim with or without them.

I am new hear and completely freaked out. The more I read the more freaked out I get. I'm a 46 years old female...with perimenopausal issues and just got diagnosed with genital herpes after I went to the gyno for what I though was a vaginal tear due to the peri stuff. I was tested for herpes a year ago and the blood test was negative. This was a culture test which was positive. I am so freaked out I can hardly function. How did I get this? Why were the blood tests negative? Why do I feel so insanely crappy? To make matters worse, I also have celiac disease, which severely limits my diet. It also gives me stomach trouble. So...how did I get herpes? I was sexually assaulted about 8 years ago...never had sex after that. Never got tested either...was in complete denial. But if I had ever felt like THIS I would have definitely remembered. I have finally met a really great man but we haven't really been able to have sex due to the uncomfortable peri issues. So...I don't know how to know if I am having irritation due to a herpes ob or due to vaginal dryness or other perimenopausal issues that make irritation down there common. I don't know how to approach a diet because most of the things I eat seem to have a high arginine content but I have no choice. As for meds...I just got some acyclovir today but pharmacist says it will bother my already messed up stomach. The whole hair issue...I already have thinning from the peri and the thought of it worsening because of the acyclovir...geez...just shoot me now. So, here I am, no clue how all this came about or what to do. I feel like what's the point if my quality of life is gonna be so crappy? I am so paranoid and miserable and in pain and this really sucks.

I am new hear and completely freaked out. The more I read the more freaked out I get. I'm a 46 years old female...with perimenopausal issues and just got diagnosed with genital herpes after I went to the gyno for what I though was a vaginal tear due to the peri stuff. I was tested for herpes a year ago and the blood test was negative. This was a culture test which was positive. I am so freaked out I can hardly function. How did I get this? Why were the blood tests negative? Why do I feel so insanely crappy? To make matters worse, I also have celiac disease, which severely limits my diet. It also gives me stomach trouble. So...how did I get herpes? I was sexually assaulted about 8 years ago...never had sex after that. Never got tested either...was in complete denial. But if I had ever felt like THIS I would have definitely remembered. I have finally met a really great man but we haven't really been able to have sex due to the uncomfortable peri issues. So...I don't know how to know if I am having irritation due to a herpes ob or due to vaginal dryness or other perimenopausal issues that make irritation down there common. I don't know how to approach a diet because most of the things I eat seem to have a high arginine content but I have no choice. As for meds...I just got some acyclovir today but pharmacist says it will bother my already messed up stomach. The whole hair issue...I already have thinning from the peri and the thought of it worsening because of the acyclovir...geez...just shoot me now. So, here I am, no clue how all this came about or what to do. I feel like what's the point if my quality of life is gonna be so crappy? I am so paranoid and miserable and in pain and this really sucks.

Well my dear chin up your one of 20+ million people that have herpes currently. Its not a big deal for most healthy people after a year you will have no symptoms at all in most cases. The most important thing is to keep your mind strong and spirits high that helps a great deal with the first few outbreaks. Everyone in the forums will be happy to answer any and all questions you have there are some people that live on here. Best thing of all is to be aware that herpes is almost as common as the cold virus. Alot of people have it in one form or the next. You will be fine I promise hugs.