World's Largest Herpes Support Group
AnnahLee

A question for the ladies..

AnnahLee

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I'm new so I thought this was the place :)

I just found out a few days ago that I had genital herpes. My period is supposed to be in a couple days and my initial OB is just now subsiding but it got me thinking, what happens if I have an OB during my period? Is it safe to use tampons still? The reason I'm asking here is because the internet out there is confused and I couldn't really find a straight answer. I don't know if it can cause internal OBs because as far as I'm aware I just have external.

So 1) are tampons ok to use on your period? 2) If I've got herpes externally, does that mean I already have it internally and can't spread it? 3) Thanks so much just for reading this and if you reply, thanks even more!

GntiNh

Hi and welcome. Tampon use its very individual as it depends on your breakout. I couldnt use them as my breakout included internal blisters. It was too sore. Genital means the whole "boxer shorts" area so you can't spread hsv within that area. It's a case of see how it goes and what works for you. Hopefully it will be a mild breakout and pass quickly x

MissAnonymiss

Depends your body and location. I get one sore on the outside so for me tampons don't affect anything. If I had sores inside though I would probably avoid it as I imagine that would hurt a lot.

Some people say tampons can cause outbreaks though this hasn't proven true to me.

I hope this helps!

AnnahLee
Depends your body and location. I get one sore on the outside so for me tampons don't affect anything. If I had sores inside though I would probably avoid it as I imagine that would hurt a lot.

Some people say tampons can cause outbreaks though this hasn't proven true to me.

I hope this helps!

How do you know if there are sores inside? Can you feel them? Sorry, I just really am new to all this and trying to figure out some of what to expect.

MissAnonymiss
How do you know if there are sores inside? Can you feel them? Sorry, I just really am new to all this and trying to figure out some of what to expect.

I don't have them inside so I don't know but if they are like the outside I assume you would know pretty quickly and be able to feel tenderness.

Islander

Its been a month since first ob and two periods. The first one i used tampos one time for the beach and now im using and havent felt anything unusual

lost21

I use them. unfortunately my period seems to trigger an outbreak every time. Depending on the severity of the outbreak i havent had much of an issue. The string however can irritAte.

TLew1234

AnnahLee, I'm having my first outbreak too and my period started about a day into it.  I had internal sores so tampons didn't seem like the best idea, but I was so swollen on the inside that the thought of putting anything up there sounded like a nightmare.

I ended up using pads but that irritated the external sores and I felt frustrated and hopeless!  I ended up wearing black Lululemmon gym shorts that have a thick liner inside them and no pad instead.  That seems to be less irritating for the sores as they opened.  

After enduring this really awkward situation, I think I'm going to try those new Thinx panties so there's less irritation.  You can check them out here: http://www.shethinx.com/  There are plenty of coupon codes online too.

There's also those menstrual cups in lieu of tampons which might be less irritating as well next time around: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=menstrual+cup&sprefix=menstrual%2Caps%2C153

SureWhyNot

This may sound weird but if you can still use tampons yet are afraid of spreading external sores internally why not put coconut oil or olive oil on the tampon to bring anti-virus fighting elements inside. Olive Oil has Oleuropian that is antiviral http://www.naturalremedies.org/oleuropein/ and Coconut Oil has Lauric Acid http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1138-lauric%20acid.aspx?activeingredientid=1138&activeingredientname=lauric%20acid

Perhaps the oil will make it easier to use pads as well since there would be a slip instead of dry rub. Maybe make a mix of Beeswax with oil to use as ointment. Beeswax will form a barrier and oils will be antiviral. Definitely underpants that do not move around help and that is why I keep mens cotton boxer briefs as they seem to snug better and since there are no leg elastics to aggravate. Easier to find than womens boxers, that are a fad, but not as pretty so you know the old saying about undies and car accidents!!!!

I would love to say this is great for condoms to add extra protection but we all know oil is not a friend of condoms. 

herpesderpes

I recently experienced my period at the same time as my primary OB and I used tampons without issue, I didn't get any lesions inside (that i'm aware of) they were all external. 

GlitterQueen83

I used tampons for my period and haven't had issues. I've had herpes for a little while now so my outbreaks are less frequent and less extreme

Hsv2_help

Hi, 

I am not sure how your outbreaks go and I apologize for going into so much detail but I'm just gonna give you my experience.

I can use tampons and they don't seem to make my outbreak worse. I always get my outbreaks on the "lips" of my vagina...which are kind of big so it doesn't affect where the tampons are if that makes sense.

Everyone is different but I feel like a pad would just irritate me more...and be more painful then just the tampon just absorbing it before it gets to my problem area....

Hope this helps?....

Notveryhappy

Just had my first internal OB and you def know when it's internal!! Hurt a lot more... much diff from a sore on the outer lip area as to which I normally got for over 10yrs. Try the tampon (unless you're very swollen) and if it irritates you then there's pads, menstrual cups and period panties. Good luck