Have not dated since being diagnosed

Latrell

Hi everyone,

It's good to know there is a place we can share our feelings and experiences.

I was diagnosed in Dec 06 after breaking up with my boyfriend of years who has been using drugs. I work in the health field. Needless to say, I was devasted when I noticed a sore and went to my doctor who told me I have HSV-2. Thank God it wasn't worse, still I have been traumatized by the experience.

I'm sure my ex-boyfriend gave it to me and I had to get therapy and took a month off from work. I have not had another out break since the first one n Dec.

I want to date again. There is a man I really am interested in. We've been talking on the phone and texting daily. Next week he is coming to visit me.

I sense that we will most likely click and possibly start dating. When should I tell him about my diagnosis? I don't want to scare him away. If we start dating and are not sexually active , should I wait awhile.

This is very hard for me. I know I have to tell him. I just don't want to say it too soon and scare him away.

Advice anyone.

I wouldn't tell someone right away, nor would I wait until we start talking about sex or just before we have sex either.

Its probably better to wait until you've gone out with him 2-3 times, or maybe when the two of you start talking about past relationships.

I guess the thing is this: don't wait until he gets hooked on you--that wouldn't be fair to him--but don't spring it on him first thing, when he doesn't know you at all--that wouldn't be fair to you either.

--glad to hear you've bounced back.

Thanks for the advice. You make some very good points about being fair to each other. He's a fun-loving guy and very humorous. I just hope that it doesn't scare him away whenever we talk about it.

you really haven't broken out since then? have you been doing anything to not make it come back? i just got diagnosed fr the first time and i am scared that it's going to come back... how'd you get so lucky?

about telling this guy, let him get to know the real you first before he has the chance to judge you... make sense?

ove yourself

I agree the getting to know the real you. After all that is how it should be anyway right? Let them fall in love with you not your dilemma! Afterall, we are from all walks of life, and are far ahead of alot of people I know. Saying that to say, we are honest and mature and lovable and beautiful , worthwhile, people right? I think it is self acceptance of our real selves. So yea we are a bit challenged at the moment but hey there are alot of people who are challenged in more ways than we are. I think part of the problem is we all want acceptance and love in some form or the other. It is like having your sole opened up for all of the world to see. ANd what they can see are sweet, loving and caring people from all walks of life who have so much to give back in the form of othere things besides sex. Although sex is important and I like it and enjopy it as much as the next person. but is would be a sad state of affairs if that was all we felt our value was. I think we are allcaught up in the romantic version of love and Igo through periods where I think the same thing as you. We don't blast to everyone that we have depression or can't pay our bills or we have really have bi polar issues or a nervous twitch or whatever the malady may be so why ever would we tell a person who is not worthy of our love that "thing" before it is necessary? It all boils down to one word respect of another human being. Give yourself sometime to love yourself and the wonderful person that you are!

I just prayed and ask God to never let me have another ob. I also read that stress can contribute to obs. So I got my doctor to put me on a month medical leave from work so I could deal with it. I went back with a new attitude toward stressful situations. I try not let people or situations stress me out. I hace also started exercising weekly.

Personally I'm seeing a guy who has hsv-1 genitally, and he told me about a week after we started talking to each other and at first I was freaked, but I came here and learned some things. I felt better and because he's so awesome I'm not letting it stop us. If this guy is a good guy, (and you make him sound like he is) He'll want to educate himself first then make an informed decision. also, let him know that it's the same as cold sores, just below the equator, that's all. If he has cold sores he has antibodies that will also help prevent him from reinfection. but only if you're type 1. If you're type two, it's still okay, just exercise common sense, and offer him websites and facts. Once he understands, he'll porbably feel reassured and see that you are NOT your virus. Being armed with good info is key. And be patient with him. He'll likely feel intimidated at first. That's natural. I did myself! But up front is best, because if he's the type to turn and run, then not only will you be more hurt after having had more time to grow attatched, but he will feel like you tried to trick him, and that would create a gap that you might not be able to bridge. Honesty is the best policy. Good luck!