World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Shopper247

being on valtrex and having sex

Shopper247

hi, i need a little info. i am just starting to date this new guy since i found out i contracted the herpes virus 2 years ago. I have been on the valtrex pills daily for 7 months now, and i haven't had an outbreak since last year.

I was researching the precautions i must take if i become sexually active with my partner. is it safe to have protected sex with him?...will he not contract the virus? or no matter whatif i become sexually active with him, he will get the virus even with me being on the pills.

some sites i researched have said that being on valtrex surpress the virus and limits transmission by 70% and that by using a condom can limit my chances of spreading it even more. i really like this new guy and i am really scared to tell him. i want to be sexually active with him and i know that theres always the chance that he'd walk out. i haven't been with anyone since the guy who i contracted the virus from. the funny thing is the new guy is a doctor, i dunno if he'd be understanding or freaked out that i'd ruin his career, in a sense, if he got the virus too.

so really i jus need information on what the precautions and outcomes are for having sex with a partner who doesn't have herpes while im on once a day valtrex.

fuller

It really depends on his feelings after you tell him. He probably will be very understanding if he is a doctor. He's probably already educated about valtrex and herpes so it might actually work to your advantage. You have to let him decide if he wants to risk it or not. Yes there is always a chance no matter what you do, and valtrex can react different in every person. Personally I found for me it worked great. I've been on it for over a year. I have only had one outbreak that only lasted about two days and then went away. All the other time in between the most I would get are a few slight symptoms (which during that time I would just not engage in sex) then they usually went away fairly quickly as well. I gave it a two week margin just to be safe. I told my fiance right from the beginning about all the risks of contracting it, and about the medication I was on. He didn't seem to mind the risk at all. Actually he decided that he didn't even feel the need to wear protection anymore. I didn't ever pressure him into that decision though. I also made him get tested before we did anything to be safe. So we actually ended up having more unprotected sex then we did protected ( which is why I'm happily almost 40 weeks pregnant right now) and he still doesn't have it. I think it also depends on how in sync you are with your body and your symptoms to avoid shedding periods and outbreaks as best as you can. You have to be able to talk to the person yoru with very open and honest. Well I donno if that helped but good luck with your relationship. :)

Shopper247

ok im scared now...i dont think he'd be understanding. i was making out with him tonight and he wanted to go further and i had to stop him and told him we couldn't have sex...not because of an outbreak but because it was my time of the month...but he actually kinda grabbed my arms and stopped ana dlooked at me with this face like omg what do you have? and i told him it was my time of the month and he was like its okay we'll wait. now by him just having that look before i said anythin i know for a fact he would up and run if i told him the truth...

what would you do?