World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  

being on valtrex and having sex

Genital Herpes Home Testing

NEW - In-home Genital Herpes Testing Kits!

Affordable, Hassle-free, 100% Confidential, 5 Minute Testing
  • No doctor or lab visits required
  • Prescription sent to your pharmacy
  • Lab-certified results in days
  • All from the comfort of home

hi, i need a little info. i am just starting to date this new guy since i found out i contracted the herpes virus 2 years ago. I have been on the valtrex pills daily for 7 months now, and i haven't had an outbreak since last year.

I was researching the precautions i must take if i become sexually active with my partner. is it safe to have protected sex with him?...will he not contract the virus? or no matter whatif i become sexually active with him, he will get the virus even with me being on the pills.

some sites i researched have said that being on valtrex surpress the virus and limits transmission by 70% and that by using a condom can limit my chances of spreading it even more. i really like this new guy and i am really scared to tell him. i want to be sexually active with him and i know that theres always the chance that he'd walk out. i haven't been with anyone since the guy who i contracted the virus from. the funny thing is the new guy is a doctor, i dunno if he'd be understanding or freaked out that i'd ruin his career, in a sense, if he got the virus too.

so really i jus need information on what the precautions and outcomes are for having sex with a partner who doesn't have herpes while im on once a day valtrex.

sorry i posted this under different topics...

If you're on suppressive therapy, and using condoms, the chances are greatly minimized. However, there is always a small risk. It is very small. When I was trying to get numbers to give to my then bf, my doctor said that with suppressive therapy, people will shed 3-9 days out of the year outside of outbreaks. So... very minimal. But still there.