World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
spt45

new member, ignorance is not bliss

spt45

i've had blisters around my genitals now for a few years and am finally going to the doctors in a couple of days. It seems mad to me now that i've left it so long, but had been embarrassed and in serious denial. I get single blisters which are quite large and leave scarring and have no other symptoms, although did have some raised glands in groin at one point. Am terrified of going to the doctors but it will be a relief to know what's going on one way or the other. Whoever said that ignorance is bliss?!

MsLucy

It's natural to be afraid when facing something like this, but trust me, the worrying is worse than the knowing. I was freaking out while I waited for my test results to come back, but even though it was positive, it was relief to be able to let go of that anxiety and get down to dealing with reality. And the reality is not nearly as bad as the horrible things my imagination was doing to me before I was tested.

If, indeed, you do have herpes, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's a virus. Nothing more. It doesn't change who you are, or mean you've done anything wrong. Nice people get herpes all the time. At least knowing you have it can prevent you from spreading it to someone else, and that's a good thing.

And if your test comes back positive, don't be afraid. I was scared at first, but now I realize that it's just a thing, a complication, but not a tragedy, and certainly not enough to ruin my life, or yours, either, unless you decide to let to. So go have that test done and let us know how you make out. I hope it's negative, but if not, we're always here for support, questions, or just as a place to vent. Good luck.

spt45

Thank you so much. This is really reassuring. I just can't believe that I have ignored it for so long, I feel really stupid. I've never been able to talk to anybody about this so it helps to be able to write here. I will let you know what happens. I think you're right though, even if it is positive, it will be better than the hell that is waiting and doing nothing.