World's Largest Herpes Support Group
VVK

Intermittent Fasting and CMA -

brookeb300

I'm trying to do the fasting now.  I really hope it works bc nothing else really has.  I am wondering though, do you think the CMA does actually start after 10 hours on not eating?  Idk. 

omg I really hope this will help!  I am going to stop eating every night at 6pm and start again at 10am.

VVK

CMA's onset has actually been the subject of academic research and the data shows that it takes 10 hours of fasting to get it going.. it is at its optimal rate after 36 hours of fasting, but few will be willing to fast for a whole day. CMA stops working after 3 days of straight fasting. That's the maximum time it can go before there needs to be a re-feed to reset it.

It's good that you're willing to give this a try and I hope you keep us updated about your results. I think a 6pm to 10am fast (16 hours) is quite reasonable.

brookeb300

Ive been doing fasting for 3 days now and it has been a little better but I'm afraid it wont get all the way better.  Idk.  maybe i have too much virus on me to control.

Lisajd

I would think that fasting would be doing the opposite because you need to be healthy to fight the virus and by not eating you are not getting any nutrition into your body

brookeb300

thats true - i have no idea im willing to try anything at this point

brookeb300

Is sugar making you lose the fight against HSV? "The average person loses more than 90% of their immune function within 15 minutes of indulging in this poisonous substance. This deficiency lasts for about 2 hours after the stress occurs." - Dr. Walt Stoll

How exactly do you eliminate sugar from your diet?  Just crappy junky sugar?  Like what about fruit?  what do you eat instead of sugar?

VVK
12 hours ago, Lisajd said:

I would think that fasting would be doing the opposite because you need to be healthy to fight the virus and by not eating you are not getting any nutrition into your body

You'd think, but you'd be wrong. Take a read of some of the resources provided in my first post on this topic. The presence of high levels of glucose in cells, for example, acts as a fuel to many viral replication schemes. Fasting isn't the same as just starving forever. Your body has access to stored nutrients that it puts away in the form of fat. In fact, you are technically fasting while you're asleep.

6 hours ago, brookeb300 said:

How exactly do you eliminate sugar from your diet?  Just crappy junky sugar?  Like what about fruit?  what do you eat instead of sugar?

Well, for starters avoid the junky sugar - which is in almost every processed and packaged food that you are exposed to. Look at the label and see just how much sugar you're consuming in each serving.

Fruit is okay in moderation. Most fruit contains a decent amount of sugar, but unless you go crazy with the servings you should be okay consuming some fruit.

What to eat (and drink) instead of sugar? Water, sugar-free drinks (if you have to), vegetables, fruit, eggs, meats, natural peanut butter, starches (like rice, potatoes, etc. with plenty of vegetables). Basically cut out the crap or tone it down substantially so that you rarely eat it.

brookeb300

Ok thank you.  I have been doing the fasting for a few days and I am still breaking out.  I don't know if it takes awhile.  I probably have to work on my diet and take supplements too.  I'm going to try to cut out the sugar first.  I had some donuts today and a sugary drink.  Omg this is so so hard.  I don't mind the fasting.  It's ok.  But this disease just makes life ridiculously hard.

brookeb300

Over a year.  I guess a year and a half.  I have not been managing well most of the time.  I didnt stay with my prescription, I would drink coffee all day long and eat whatever.  I have it really bad though and I was scared to try to get it under control that I wouldnt even be able to work or stay alive.  I'm trying now but Idk if I can get it to go down.  I'm going to have to take something daily I think.  Idk.

I would have to have an incredibly strict lifestyle I think.

VVK

brookeb300 what do you mean when you say you're still breaking out - are you having an outbreak recently or are you having constant symptoms that haven't stopped for a year? I've read some of your other posts and you mentioned you just have a "dirty feeling" which might be a pH and/or vaginal flora imbalance or possibly bacterial vaginosis, If that's the case then cutting down sugar will definitely help. It will take a little bit of time and consistency with the change in diet - a few weeks. However, I'd recommend seeing a doctor because BV is serious and not necessarily HSV-related. It is treatable with antibiotics and pre&probiotics after.

brookeb300

No its herpes.  Ill just give is some more time.  I have to make some diet changes too.

brookeb300

Im scared to try anything bc I will see how bad it actually is and I wont be able to get i to go away at all.  I just think I have so much virus on me.

Lisajd

It's not about having too much virus on you it is about your immune system not being able to suppress the virus there for you do need to look at your diet and your stress and you might need to go on medication if you are constantly having outbreaks and cannot get it under control

brookeb300

Does anyone notice any extra fast heart beats in the middle of a fast?  It actually happened after a few days of fasting.  I think its not a big deal, it happens in the middle of the night, but idk.  Maybe its anxiety.

VVK

That shouldn't be happening - it could be anxiety but more likely is due to an electrolyte imbalance (usually potassium is too low and sodium is too high). Low potassium is prevalent in most modern diets. This is fixable by eating more veggies, fruits, and potatoes (without adding table salt). Don't ignore this symptom.

murakami

I just started a keto diet about 3 weeks ago, and I'm interested in intermittent fasting - found this thread, and it's very useful. I have had HSV-1 since I was about 4 years old, and I have nerve involvement in my cranial nerves and my spine down to mid-thorax, particularly on my right side. I have HSV-related nerve damage in my face and throat. During the past few years I have had almost constant neuralgia. 

So far keto has helped my symptoms a lot, though I did manage to provoke the neuralgia by eating too much unsweetened chocolate (I believe that's what the trigger was) - though I have been getting over the pain much quicker than I used to. 

I am SO TIRED of the pain and neuralgia. I will do almost anything to make this stop. It got really bad when my mom got cancer and I went through just years of chronic stress. She's still alive, but slowly slowly dying - and I have to be able to cope with her passing, whenever that might turn out to be. 

Interesting theory that HSV causes carb intolerance. When I was suffering my last neuralgic episode I noticed I was getting carb cravings and cravings for seed foods, which I have not had since I started keto. I feel like I have a demon living in my nerves that demands arginine when it wakes up. 

The main thing that's holding me back from IF is that I take a bunch of meds and supplements, and with the nerve damage in my throat it's hard to get the pills down without food, as my swallowing reflex isn't the greatest. I don't know how I'd do a 3 day fast and keep up with them without burning my esophagus. Any suggestions? Could I just do some kind of calorie-free psyllium smoothie without breaking the fast? 

Hansje

In intermittent fasting, you don't do a 3 day fast. Well maybe if you're a bit extreme. 24 hours or less is the usual period of fasting, 48 hour is the max. Don't do more then that uninterrupted. Maybe take the pills with a bit of pure yoghurt, so without sugar? That is nice and smooth.

Do you need to loose weight?

Edited by Hansje

murakami

Yeah I need to lose weight - had a hell of a stressful few years (mom slowly dying of cancer), my general health collapsed, and it all just piled on. When the HSV was active I was having hellacious carb cravings too! 

I want to eventually do the72-hour medical immune-reset fast. This one: https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

I'll start with just getting used to a 16-8 IF though. 

The 72-hour one interests me particularly because the last time I had any significant relief in symptoms was after an inadvertent 36-hour fast, where I got hit with such a big stressor that I couldn't eat for a day and a half. I felt great afterwards for about 2 weeks! 

Hansje

Aha ok that sounds good. Well good luck with it and share your results! You also do sports?

murakami

LOL no, unfortunately I've been too sick for that for a few years. I did get a Fitbit and I'm tracking my activity though, and when my body is less in pain and I have enough energy I make the effort to get my 10K steps in per day. It is a major goal of mine to get well enough to at least go out dancing again this year. 

murakami

Once upon a time I was an EDM DJ...til I got too sick to go out at night! I have delusions of Flamenco, tbh.