World's Largest Herpes Support Group
VVK

Intermittent Fasting and CMA -

gone-girl

Ok, then no beans for 30 days which will be tough because I usually have hummus with veggies for lunch. But instead I will do cottage cheese which I am assuming is ok or even egg salad made with approved ingredients.

I am feeling very depressed tonight over my situation. I have periods of real serious despair to the point that I feel somewhat suicidal. That is why I am holding onto this as a lifeboat. I am going shopping tomorrow to get supplies and I will be giving some stuff to my parents that I have already purchased and now will not consume.

VVK

gone-girl, I know you're going through a rough patch in your life. I can tell you for sure from your previous posts that you didn't spread herpes to different parts of your body. You may have triggered some skin sensitivity by changing your diet and increasing nut/seede intake, which is likely what the rashes and acne are from, but that can all be reversed. Hang in there and let the new changes work. Be good to yourself, try to spend some time outside in the sun every day and stay active. When I had skin issues (eczema), sunlight always helped.

VVK

One more thing: watch your electrolyte levels. As you go low-carb/keto, your body won't retain salts as easily anymore and it will be easy to mess up your electrolyte levels. This can lead to everything from muscle cramps to mood changes to generally feeling sick. Read about it here. Other sites: Ketopia and Reddit Keto Faq. Electrolytes are crucial.

And so that you have no excuse to not eat the fat that you need to eat: introducing fat bombs.

P.S. I know you might think it is crazy to try nuts again due to high arginine content, but if you are eating your cottage cheese and yogurt you should be able to balance it out. Also, it probably won't matter very much in a ketogenic state but just to be safe give it a week or two first.

gone-girl

Thank you for those additional links (I will read them today) and the warning about the electrolytes--I found some high mineral water in glass bottles from the store today and I bought a bunch plus I bought some high quality salt. I am assuming that raw coconut water would not be ok due to the natural sugar content? Not sure if there is any electrolyte drink that is acceptable or just make sure you salt food. I will also be taking epsom baths and I know that minerals get absorbed through the skin.

I will be adding salt to my food and in dressings. I have had severe dehydration/electrolyte imbalance in the past that resulted in an ER visit and hospitalization so I will be especially careful about this. Today at the store I also bought fresh wild halibut, two packages of organic lamb 'lollipop' cuts (three per package), canned wild sockeye salmon, eggs, greens, herbs, yogurt and cottage cheese.

I am going to start today with stopping eating late afternoon to begin the fasting and resume eating tomorrow afternoon. I am assuming I will make some mistakes regarding the ratios of fat, protein...I will eat very low carb but not sure about how to determine the fat/protein ratio. I am not used to eating a lot of fat so this will be a learning curve. I am planning on making high fat dressings (olive oil, herbs, vinegar) and also with the cottage cheese doing the budwig protocol (this is for cancer prevention but because it is mixing the cottage cheese with flax oil per blending per their protocol) and this is high in fat and should help with this too. Plus cooking with coconut or olive oil will help.

I did enter my statistics on the one site and it gave me a breakdown so now I have to figure it out. Hopefully any small errors will be ok when coupled with the fasting. And the no sugar will also help with any rogue cancer cells or other baddies in the body!

I know that you think my rashes are not herpes but I actually think that they are because I was having very horrible OB and scratched myself down below when sleeping (possibly quite a bit :( )and I think spread it to other parts--like my hand and face. Those areas don't have blisters but do itch horribly and also ache/feel odd and they look a bit rash like. I think part of the reason that this happened is that my system was all out of wack...eating high sugar due to excessive fruit and also way too many nuts and seeds (including homemade nut milks etc.). I know that nobody seems to believe me and heck, with my anxiety, I am probably coming across as a cuckoo bird, but I really think that those areas are now infected. So now I have to do something, even if it is drastic and a radical shift for me, in order to prevent this from spreading out of control.

DaisyAnn

I have oral hsv-2 (and no hsv-1 or genital herpes, just the oral hsv-2). I got this virus in August from a child in my classroom. I get at least one oral blister every single DAY! I would do anything, and I mean anything to reduce outbreaks. If I do a 3 day fast, will I possibly help reduce outbreaks?

VVK

I don't have any experience or data on tackling an early infection with this approach.

Having said that, if you just do one single 3 day fast, you should see a reduction in the symptoms and viral activity. If you then revert back to your original diet, I would think that the symptoms will likely return, but I'm not entirely sure so please update if you end up going through with it. Just keep in mind that the fast has to be a pure water fast - no juices, flavours, etc.

DaisyAnn

Can I have carbonated water? Can I have diet sprite?

Here is my plan.... fast for 26 hours and eat garlic and collodial silver for the last 10 hours in hopes of killing this thing.

VVK

I don't know what consuming garlic and colloidal silver is going to do to your body, especially while fasting, so I don't recommend that.

Carbonated water is fine as long as there are no calories in it. Diet sprite should be okay but it does contain sweeteners which may have unexpected effects during your fast. I'd recommend just regular water.

headsup1

Do you think that a 30 day complete fast could cure the virus? I am willing to go 30 days of fasting if it can rid me of this. I do not really get outbreaks but get a lot of nerve pain in the back and legs and it is just a daily reminder. I have actually realized that when going a while like 6-8 hours without eating the virus goes silent. I have actually researched fasting before I came across this thread. Could you still take vitamins and antiviral supplements during the fast?

headsup1
Also another more important question, has this approach worked for you?

How is the Thymosin working out for you so far?

VVK
Do you think that a 30 day complete fast could cure the virus? I am willing to go 30 days of fasting if it can rid me of this. I do not really get outbreaks but get a lot of nerve pain in the back and legs and it is just a daily reminder. I have actually realized that when going a while like 6-8 hours without eating the virus goes silent. I have actually researched fasting before I came across this thread. Could you still take vitamins and antiviral supplements during the fast?

No, I don't think there's any cure at all and especially not a thirty day complete fast. A fast of that duration simply weakens the body. The longest useful fast time is 3 days and, as you mentioned, you can already see benefits after only a few hours of fasting.

headsup1

Do you feel the effects of the virus in your body at all? I always thought about fasting as I realize as soon as I eat anything the virus comes alive. When it is completely silent I realize I have not eaten in a while. 10 minutes after eating pretty much any meal I can feel it jumping around in my nerves. It really sucks and is the most depressing part of having this virus. I really want it out of me and will do whatever I have to, to accomplish that goal. I do not even get outbreaks so I have come a long way but I just want the nerve pain to stop. Thinking a total water fast for 30 days could starve the bastard to death.

VVK

I wish it was that easy, but I think you may have greater success if you just do multiple stretches of 3-day fasts. If you want the nerve pain to stop, try minimizing the sugar content of your meals and see if that helps. Do you get nerve pain when you eat, for example, a meal of only eggs and bacon? A tuna salad with mayo dressing? I find that I only get hints of the virus being active if I take huge doses of sugar, such as 50 grams of sugar in an iced cap. Then again, it might not even be the virus and just a side effect of a sugar spike.

headsup1

Pretty much when I eat the virus comes active. It sucks when I have my morning coffee with a little cream the virus goes crazy in my legs etc. Maybe I am just really vigilant and I think everything is herpes related. Maybe I need to relax a little bit and try to live life not always thinking that it is herpes related. Does it mean that I am shedding virus every time I feel it activate?

VVK

Not necessarily.. what you are feeling might not even be the virus but something else entirely that your body is sensitive to. The virus shouldn't activate as soon as you eat.. there should be a time delay.

EnglishGirl

[uSER=57931]@headsup1[/uSER] I'm exactly the same, as soon as I eat my nerves play up more than usual. My symptoms do ease up when I haven't eaten for a while but if I'm on the verge of an OB which I am 90% of the time then even not eating doesn't stop the pain. It's nice in a weird way to know that someone suffers similarly to me. My nerves are active nearly every day and for long periods of time, I always feel I'm on the brink of an OB...I can't imagine fasting for a long length of time though

headsup1

I have always wondered how eating can cause it to start jumping around right away like that. Do things that you eat start the virus reactivation process? How could something you eat effect it so fast? Does Arginine actually reach the virus in the neurons? I get shooting pains in legs, feet, and everywhere after eating meals and drinking sugary drinks. It comes on fast but I do not get obs. That is the crazy part about it. I think based on things my virus is active every day but I do not get obs. I must have a really good T-cell response at the skin level. I am going to be doing a 30 day PCR shed test to see how much I actually shed virus.

EnglishGirl

[uSER=57931]@headsup1[/uSER] It's strange isn't it, I'm the same, I eat something and minutes later tingles in my legs, feet and private parts. I do get occasional OB's but it doesn't always lead to a full OB it can just make everything sore (down below) as if I'm about to OB. I personally feel I am contagious everyday, the pain and symptoms definitely indicate the virus is active. How are you going to do this test? I would love to know if all my pain is associated with shedding!

VVK

It has been about a month since the last update on this topic. I'm interested in knowing how those that are trying this approach are doing. I'm still doing well - still no outbreaks. I still skip breakfast and that's how I get my intermittent fasting window in.

Off topic: Regarding the nerve symptoms experienced by Englishgirl and headsup, I'm currently looking into the possibility that HSV causes some type of carbohydrate intolerance in the body, but not quite the same as diabetes.

lexyz22

Hey VVK

Not going to lie, since starting Intermittent Fasting I have not experienced any outbreaks.

HOWEVER, I have also been taking 1 pill of Aciclovir every day (not much i know, but just to be safe).

I was having some nerve pain before i started, this seems to have disappeared. All i have now is an occassional twinge down below which can be sharp, but overall very good. I just hope this continues for another few years at least ;)

Ive also been using coconut oil on my penis every night, it apparently has antiviral / microbial properties and this has also helped in my opinion.

We're doing good dude! :D

EDIT: I've also been on Peptides and Anabolic Steroids, so not sure if these have helped me or even hindered me, but the Thymosin Beta 4 Peptide I've been taking has benefits for T Cell Production and Immune function, I'm just trying every angle here :)

worried2104

VVK.

I am on Whole30 Diet wich is paleo. I have been on it for years (never ever get sick) and think it may have helped reduce the initial impact when I acquired the H. I am thinking of adding in the CMA.

The schedule I am looking at is the following:

Sleep from 11 PM to 7 AM

Fast from 7 AM to 11 AM

Work-out from 11 to 12 AM

EAT from 12 PM to 6 PM

I agree with you. I honestly think this might be as near to how we as humans are supposed to eat. I am sure paleo man did not have breakfast first thing the morning. Had to wake up and go find food.

ash21love

Do you think this could be my trgger that is causing my outbreaks?

My daily diet constists of lots and lots of carbs. I also eat a fair amount of sugar.

Now I do eat proteins and veggies. But I notice that most of my meals are loaded with carbs and I do have a sweet tooth. Here is a typical day for me:

Breakfast:

eggo waffles (2) or

bowl of cereal or

2 pieces of toast

lunch:

pizza or

sandwich or

salad or

chicken

Dinner:

turkey or

chicken

with potatoes and a veggie.

My dinner is usually more protein with some carbs and veggies.

Anytime I snack, I will eat carbs.. It may be an oat bar, or ritz crackers, or pita chips...But always a carb based food item..

I will also snack on sugar items such as...I may have 3 handfuls of cereal as a snack. Or some grahm crackers... Or I will eat some chocolate....

What do you think?

I do not drink soda. I only drink water. I do have drinks occasionally with Dinner. I would say that I have 4 drinks a week.

lexyz22
Do you think this could be my trgger that is causing my outbreaks?

My daily diet constists of lots and lots of carbs. I also eat a fair amount of sugar.

Now I do eat proteins and veggies. But I notice that most of my meals are loaded with carbs and I do have a sweet tooth. Here is a typical day for me:

I know the popular theory is that eating certain foods trigger outbreaks etc, however, I've had weeks on end eating terrible food and never experienced outbreaks, and then when I've been 100% clean, training good, and eating well Ive had the worst outbreaks ever...

Just keep eating well for general health purposes. Regarding your outbreaks, you need to evaluate other risk factors in your life, such as stress, hormone levels, strain of HSV that you have, immune disorders etc

VVK

I don't consider the carbs as a trigger themselves, but the constant intake of carbs and sugars throughout the day could be contributing to your troubles.

Sufferingfriend

Its weird sometimes coffee will start tingles in me. I think alcohol does sometimes too, but not usually? There's this 50 cal fizzy drink called ZEO, that is really refreshing, and it immediately causes nerve pain. So strange.

But I find if I eat a bunch of carbs and fall into a long deep sleep, that is when I am the most free and clear of the virus. One time the nerve pain and itch was out of control so I hate a big bowl of cereal in distress, and I passed out, and felt better in the morn than a long long time.

I have only been eating vegetables and meat as I am slimming down, and at first it seemed to really keep my symptoms at bay, but I don't know if that was just the small window of relief that sometimes comes around between my back to back obs. But now I am suffering very much. I have not been eating barely any carbs, maybe just a little tomatoes mixed thrown into a stir fry of vegetables, but it's not doing the job of fending the virus off.

I will give this fasting thing a shot, but it sounds hard. I don't know if practically I can do it with work and all. One question, how often does one have to fast for 16hours?