World's Largest Herpes Support Group
VVK

Intermittent Fasting and CMA -

VVK

It should be done on a daily basis. Sleep counts for the hours. For example, if you sleep for 8 hours, you'd then fast 4 hours upon waking, eat for 8 hours, and then fast another 4 hours before sleeping. It sounds harder than it is.

Sufferingfriend

I am fasting today, since sleep is included, it won't be impossible, but is tea ok? Somedays I am just too beat. I can skip breakfast but then I would need tea to keep be up.

The problem is I am sick most days because of HSV. Somedays I am properly sick, like I should just be in bed sleeping, huge headaches and so rundown, and I still have to work. Other than the rare days of relief I am always tired, so skipping breakfast and tea is not easy.

I am taking anti virals since yesterday, and it is giving me constant nerve pain in the face. I dunno, if I should stop taking it, cuz I did sleep a lot better than usual and I do feel less feverish than usual, but my face is burning up a lot too and constantly. I don't think I can handle all of this and work.

VVK, when you don't fast do you get sick?

VVK

Tea is fine just as long as it doesn't have any sweeteners or sugar in it. You can even have coffee if you want but again no sugar or sweeteners. The trick is just not to take in any calories while in the fasting period, but to make sure you get your entire day's caloric requirements during the feeding period.

I don't get sick regardless of whether I fast or not. Ask your doctor regarding the side effects of the antivirals. What you're experiencing doesn't sound normal.. not just the burning, but the ongoing feelings of exhaustion as well. Do you eat enough food? I saw that you're trying to slim down, but do you know that if your caloric deficiency is too great then your immune system suffers for it?

Sufferingfriend

That's interesting. I am not eating that much right now. I've lost 10lbs already. It feels like it was pretty much just as bad? But perhaps, the lack of calories is making it worse. But, I've been laid low by HSV illness when I was eating a lot too, although that was years ago, a stretch of like a couple months I was just so sick with no energy and headaches. It's not as bad right now, although I had one day recently where I was quite sick with those same feelings. I just feel like once I get skinny it will help to suppress the virus and these effects. HSV never bothered in my face until last summer, but before then never. Its the worst part by far.

I did the fasting, I think it worked when I was fasting. My symptoms are definitely better than yesterday, I don't know if it was the fasting or the antivirals adjusting to my body or doing a better job of fighting HSV.

The things is whenever I take the anti virals, for at least a few hours after taking them I get the nerve pain. And, it makes me tired right after I take them. And another definite side effect I am noticing from the antivirals is reduced sex drive for sure. I hope I am not going too far, but my errection this morning was very weak, and this pretty much never happens even if I am getting nerve pain.

Most of the nerve pain is in my face. Last night, it got a bit extreme with the burning and for the first time I felt burning sensation around my eyes too. My ears also burn quite a bit after taking anti virals, clearly it is battling the virus in my body and something is gong on. But after perhaps 4-5 hours after taking the antivirals its not that bad at all, very manageable. I'm going to keep taking the anti virals for now, but I may stop. There is so much i have to do, and this is really handi capping me.

I don't know how much the doctors can help me, their knowledge seems to be the really basic stuff that we all know already. Honestly, you know more than any doctor I've seen about this.

VVK

Perhaps a doctor can check the dosage on your antivirals or alter the type of antiviral that you are on.

If you're getting issues with ED, that's usually a sign that you don't have enough fat intake in your diet.

Sufferingfriend

I think you are right about the ED, because I was quite fine today, so perhaps I was just a bit sick or not enough calories. It was just weird.

I am however, suffering from the extremely annoying nerve pain. It seems like taking antivirals does this to people? It has also given me a decent tummy ache a time or two. Why does antivirals cause nerve pain? I wonder what is going on...

I wish I was asymptomatic like you.

VVK

Maybe with some time you may become asymptomatic, so don't think it as an empty wish. Re-evaluate what you're eating and how much. Check the IIFYM Calculator and make sure you're getting the required amounts from your daily meals. If you're sticking with intermittent fasting, you'll probably find two meals a day as the most convenient approach. Stick to it for a bit and see positive changes.

Regarding antivirals, everybody is slightly different in their genetic makeup. Nutrition plays a role as well. Sometimes your genes and nutrition works out such that your body doesn't break down the drug like most people do, and that leads to side effects. You might have to play with your diet and water levels to see if the nerve pain can be managed. Or maybe you won't need antivirals once you figure out a balanced nutrition approach.

Sufferingfriend

Yea, I think I have to aim for not needing the anti virals. Nerve pain with taking the anti virals has definitely gone down every day culminating in today where nerve pain wise, it's been one of the best days I've had in a long time. After taking the virals in the morning I just had a little, and since then nothing. Not even a twitch.

So I suppose it works, but the side effect makes it pointless. I had a tummy ache for the first half of the day, that went away, but the real problem is bad headache and irritability. Very very irritable. At first I wondered if the trade off was worth it, but now I think not, although the burning and itching makes me feel quite depressed and sad as well. The nice thing was today, zero burning I actually took a nice walk and didn't feel needlessly hot, and sweating for no reason. It felt nice.

I also hope I can become asymptomatic! I believe the key is first to get into shape. Because I never remember being affected so while slim. Sigh, I won't panic until I get there.

Acesheart
I think you are right about the ED, because I was quite fine today, so perhaps I was just a bit sick or not enough calories. It was just weird.

I am however, suffering from the extremely annoying nerve pain. It seems like taking antivirals does this to people? It has also given me a decent tummy ache a time or two. Why does antivirals cause nerve pain? I wonder what is going on...

I wish I was asymptomatic like you.

All natural Saw Palmeto helps with ED as well, I know for fact. Lol, trust me.

Sufferingfriend
All natural Saw Palmeto helps with ED as well, I know for fact. Lol, trust me.

I am just worried about the ED it causes. Its not complete ED, I can get an errection once and go once easily. But it feels weaker. Normally I can go multiple times a day easily, but not the case on a few of the days being on anti virals. And its always robust and poweful, but not on antivirals certainly on some days. Somone on this forum earlier on said, it happened to them and it did not go away once they stopped taking it.

I don't want to ruin my sex drive for life man. I am just going to try and get my immune system as healthy as possible. I mean I dunno, will the headaches and ED go away over time?

Acesheart
I am just worried about the ED it causes. Its not complete ED, I can get an errection once and go once easily. But it feels weaker. Normally I can go multiple times a day easily, but not the case on a few of the days being on anti virals. And its always robust and poweful, but not on antivirals certainly on some days. Somone on this forum earlier on said, it happened to them and it did not go away once they stopped taking it.

I don't want to ruin my sex drive for life man. I am just going to try and get my immune system as healthy as possible. I mean I dunno, will the headaches and ED go away over time?

My husband uses Saw Palmeto for prostate health. He doesn't have herpes, but his job is very stressful and he was having hard times for a while except for mornings, all guys have morning salutes, but middle of the night, he would start,but could not last. The pharmacist recommended THIS natural supplements, he also takes random piss test several times a year, it works. The headaches I would bet are anxiety. STRESS headaches are the worse. Please keep in mind their body and how it reacted, does NOT mean it will react that way for you. Everyone's body is unique. Not all respond to what one user will excel on. Try it it really won't hurt. Also once hubby started taking it, no more 8 times up and down to pee. That he said was extra benefits. Lol . It's not expensive. Just a suggestion. Truly, Aces xo

Sufferingfriend
My husband uses Saw Palmeto for prostate health. He doesn't have herpes, but his job is very stressful and he was having hard times for a while except for mornings, all guys have morning salutes, but middle of the night, he would start,but could not last. The pharmacist recommended THIS natural supplements, he also takes random piss test several times a year, it works. The headaches I would bet are anxiety. STRESS headaches are the worse. Please keep in mind their body and how it reacted, does NOT mean it will react that way for you. Everyone's body is unique. Not all respond to what one user will excel on. Try it it really won't hurt. Also once hubby started taking it, no more 8 times up and down to pee. That he said was extra benefits. Lol . It's not expensive. Just a suggestion. Truly, Aces xo

Well it can't hurt, so I will! It seems like it worked like a charm for your husband. Thanks for the info, I had not heard of it.

Although, I still think the anti virals are the cause. At least the headaches. Because apparently it's a common enough side effect. If you google the symptoms for acyclor it has headaches and irritability listed. I mean, nowadays have been slimming down for a while and am on a low carb diet so sometimes I get a bit impatient, but not that much. And I might get the slightest of headaches, but today was terrible! I just stayed quiet, of course I didn't snap, my parents and younger sister are visiting, but i did feel like it.

Anecdotally, there are lots of stories of people claiming ED with the anti virals, but its not listed as a symptom. Well I will try Palmeto, but I kinda think I will stop taking the anti virals too.

VVK

Re; Side effects diminishing over time.

It depends on whether your body is able to adapt to the drug or not. I'm inclined to say no.

lexyz22

lol, if you look at most drugs there's always a side effect of low-libido or something haha, its bullshit.

I'm taking anabolic steroids and you're meant to get shrivelled balls, I havent had anything but positive experiences.

Regarding intermittent fasting, I believe this and my current protocol has been seriously successful, I havent had a single outbreak in over 6 months now. I have cut a lot of sugar but not all of it.

I have also added a pre-bed shake consisting of:

- 10g L Lysine

- 10g Vitamin C

- 10g Bovine Colostrum

- 10g Glutamine

^ All the above are beneficial to herpes sufferers.

I think the key message here is to find something that works for you :)

VVK

And once you find that something, keep doing it and be aware of what it is.. lexy, I'm glad you're having success with controlling HSV. However, are you serious about 10 grams of each of those items in your shake? 10 grams of vitamin C in a shake should be enough to give you diarrhea.

lexyz22
And once you find that something, keep doing it and be aware of what it is.. lexy, I'm glad you're having success with controlling HSV. However, are you serious about 10 grams of each of those items in your shake? 10 grams of vitamin C in a shake should be enough to give you diarrhea.

Haha, I used to take 20mg (powder form) before so its not too bad. Perhaps because its mixed with the other powders i dont get any negative side effects.

Its working so im happy. However the hard part now is figuring out what has helped me the most :S

RunsWithScissors

I have been captivated by this thread last response was a few months ago, any members have reports of how they have been getting on with either the keto diet or the CMA fasting? Would like to hear experiences from some early movers on this.

lexyz22
I have been captivated by this thread last response was a few months ago, any members have reports of how they have been getting on with either the keto diet or the CMA fasting? Would like to hear experiences from some early movers on this.

Hey,

Intermittent fasting has become a lifestyle choice for me now, and an easily achievable one. The only trouble is explaining it to people, they simply dont understand, especially colleagues at work who try and give you chocolate, chips, candy etc.

I have had a very low sugar diet while doing intermittent fasting, and i have been outbreak free for 6 months. The last outbreak was caused from severe emotional stress from a family member dying, but since then everything has died down.

VKK - You may remember i was having nerve pain, this has gone now for whatever reason. I went to Amsterdam and did a shit load of Cannabis, and since then i have had no prodromal symptoms, coincidence perhaps? Im not sure but either way im happy at the moment.

VVK

Haha that's awesome! Hopefully it stays that way for you or otherwise maybe Amsterdam might become a favourite vacation spot for you. :)

I'm still doing intermittent fasting but not even that strict anymore. I just usually skip breakfasts, so I don't eat for 12-14 hours out of every 24. Everything has been quiet for me. No outbreaks, no prodromes. Staying healthy.

Createss Galore

I added a news link from last year about 2-3 day fasts for immune system regeneration. Sounds interesting and falls into the CMA window of action.

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

Noticed your signature line about sugar depleting the immune system. Will you point me to a couple of your fav articles that support what your sig line is promoting? We all know some popular bad things about sugar, but I'd like to read something in direct relation to your quote. Also, the culprit always seems to be refined, white sugar. Is turbinado (Sugar In The Raw), honey, etc., different?  Thanks!

VVK

I came across Dr. Stoll's article on the subject, which you can see here: http://askwaltstollmd.com/articles/sugarimm.php

He cites this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1069679

Unfortunately that article is so old that I can't find an abstract for it without purchasing it.. another website summarizes it: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/articles/572/general-wellness/eating-sugar-suppresses-the-immune-system.html

A related article shows how immune cells that target bacteria don't work as well at higher blood glucose concentrations: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4117287

A review of the Fundamentals of Diet: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3833586/   - see under section titled immunological effects

Immunosuppression occurs with higher blood sugar levels. Refined sugar is the worst for contributing to this because the sugar is absorbed rapidly into the blood. Raw sugar, honey, etc. are only slightly different in the sense that it takes slightly longer for them to get absorbed but not significantly longer. It comes down to the molecular structure of the sugar, which is sucrose for both refined and unrefined sugar..

LoveToDance

Intermittent fasting is awesome!  I had no idea that it would help suppress OB.  I like because it controls my blood sugar, appetite, and weight.  I usually only eat during an 8 hour window and fast the other 16 hours.  It's worth a try.  It will shrink belly fat.  

VVK

I guess it's time for a bump of this thread - I still haven't had any outbreaks since my last update here. I suspect that I do still shed since there has been a transmission event to a partner in the past year where I am the most likely source of the infection.

If anyone else has any experience with the content in this thread, positive or negative, please share and/or provide updates.