New and have questions

Rave00

I've been doing a bit of research the past few days, but was hoping to get some additional information from some individuals who have experienced outbreaks.

I know have I oral HSV 1, had it for years and usually get a few cold sores a year. No biggie, I can deal with that. I recently received oral sex from a female while I was drunk, and it was dark. Beer goggles and darkness equals no good. The next morning I noticed she had a sore on her lip and she said it was a sun blister, and I know those bad boys form because of oral HSV 1.

So here are my questions.

1) I've read that if someone has oral HSV 1 their chance of getting gentital HSV 1 is very small, and most people who get gentital HSV 1 had no prior form of the virus. Any backing to this?

2) I've had some minor discomfort in the gentital area, but nothing that is painful, and a itch here and there. I did play some sports and did some swimming in the same weekend. So that could have caused the minor discomfort in my legs, and we all know how bathing suits can create some itching for a few days. Should this be a concern?

3) I recently noticed a very small white head on my shaft 3 days after the contact, but no redness, and it does not hurt. In addition, I've had a white head like this before in the past and it did not scab or do anything like I read. Should this only be a concern if more pop up and they're in a cluster with redness?

sweetie I don't agree with what you said about one type of infection reducing your chances of getting another in a new location.

Yes, you will have antibodies to help your body to fight active ob's if you have any kind of hsv infection regardless of the location. But . . . you can still be re-infected in a new location. You can be infected with a new strand of hsv and you can be infected with multiple strains of the virus. If your skin comes into contact with the virus when it is active you can be re-infected.

It is also possible for your immune system to protect you from being infected or re-infected. There are people who simply do not become infected. This is an exception and not the norm.

No, not every bump or pimple is hsv. It is completely possible to get pimples that are just pimples. It is completely possible to get ingrown hairs and other std infections.

If you get symptoms in your genital area such as itching, redness, blisters/ulcers/lesions or sores get them swabbed on the first day they show up and have them cultured.

Keep in mind it is possible to be infected and to never have classic ob's and still you can pass this virus to another by viral shedding. You know that you have been exposed - you may assume that you have been infected and it is recommended that you warn future partners that this is a strong possibility. You should also use condoms to prevent/reduce the chances of infected others.

Thanks for the information. I plan on getting test, but am probably going to wait until the 20 day window closes before I do so, just to see if I get any of the bumps, sores, redness, etc. Should I wait long than the 20 day window if I do not show any symptoms?

Also, I've include a quote and the source where I found the information about someones chances begin greatly reduced of receiving gentital HSV2 if they already have HSV 1 orally. Check out the whole quote, the main area is in bold. Although I'm not sure how accurate this information is.

"HSV-1 is the most commonly acquired form of herpes and is typically spread through a social kiss such as that of a family member. Due to the lack of immune response in children, new HSV-1 infections typically occur in childhood. Update: "Recent research indicates that HSV 1 is probably not more easily acquired than HSV 2. And now, the average age of acquisition of HSV 1 is in the teens, rather than childhood" according to a licensed healthcare provider.

By the time that child reaches adulthood, they will be one of 50% of American’s living with HSV-1. By the time a person reaches the age of 50, they will be one of 80-90% of those who carry HSV-1.

Nearly all HSV-2 infections are encountered after childhood when they began having sex. Those who have a prior infection of HSV-1 have an acquired immune response that lowers – but will not eliminated the risk of acquiring HSV-2. According to some studies, a previous infection of HSV-1 reduces the acquisition of subsequent HSV-2 by as much as 40%.

A prior infection with HSV-1 orally greatly lowers the risk of contracting type 1 genitally. Studies have shown that the majority of HSV-1 genital cases are occurring in those with no prior history of HSV of either type.

In the absence of prior oral infection, HSV-1 can be spread to the genital area, usually through the practice of oral sex. In some countries, genital HSV-1 accounts for more than half of their entire genital herpes cases."

http://herpesonline.org/hsv1vs2.html

I've been doing a bit of research the past few days, but was hoping to get some additional information from some individuals who have experienced outbreaks.

I know have I oral HSV 1, had it for years and usually get a few cold sores a year. No biggie, I can deal with that. I recently received oral sex from a female while I was drunk, and it was dark. Beer goggles and darkness equals no good. The next morning I noticed she had a sore on her lip and she said it was a sun blister, and I know those bad boys form because of oral HSV 1.

So here are my questions.

1) I've read that if someone has oral HSV 1 their chance of getting gentital HSV 1 is very small, and most people who get gentital HSV 1 had no prior form of the virus. Any backing to this?

2) I've had some minor discomfort in the gentital area, but nothing that is painful, and a itch here and there. I did play some sports and did some swimming in the same weekend. So that could have caused the minor discomfort in my legs, and we all know how bathing suits can create some itching for a few days. Should this be a concern?

3) I recently noticed a very small white head on my shaft 3 days after the contact, but no redness, and it does not hurt. In addition, I've had a white head like this before in the past and it did not scab or do anything like I read. Should this only be a concern if more pop up and they're in a cluster with redness?

Important thing to keep in mind is that even know you have hsv1. You can still spread it to other parts of the body its rare very rare but with the antibodys you could get it and not realize its there you may get tingling etc but thats how most people get hsv2 that have hsv1 and don't get outbreaks hardly cause thair bodys already have partial immunity to it. They have sex with someone that don't have any hsv at all and they get huge outbreak. Thats usually how it happens but only way to be sure is to be tested.

Also if you get really sick you could pretty much outbreak everywhere you have the virus present if the cold is bad enough or flu. Makes you wonder if flu shot could cause a outbreak... hmm anyway big hugs and support always here if you need to talk.