World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ABC920

Valtrex and Alcohol

ABC920

Is it safe to drink (limited) amounts of alcohol while taking Valtrex? When I was first diagnosed, my dr put me on a 10 day course of Valtrex and another antibiotic, and told me I would become "violently ill" if I had any amount of alcohol. I forgot to ask the pharmacist if this applies to just taking Valtrex. I'm taking 500 mg twice a day as repressive therapy.

Thanks for the help!

VVK

Valtrex (valacyclovir) supposedly has no known interactions with alcohol. However, I would put my money on there being interactions that haven't been studied well. Usually with alcohol consumption, certain side effects of the medication become amplified - like drowsiness or fatigue. It will vary from person to person, so the best way to go about it is to either not consume alcohol when you consume Valtrex or to gradually test your alcohol tolerance while on Valtrex.

HerpsMcGerps

I'm guessing he put you on Flagyl (antibiotic) and was referring to that for the stomach pain/illness. Valtrex is pretty mild on the body. You can drink in moderation while taking it. if you are worried about long term use of suppresive valtrex and alcohol you could always try milk thistle as well but its not really needed.