World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LuckyHeart10

Stopping Valtrex

LuckyHeart10

Hi There,

I was diagnosed with genital type 1 in November and my doctor put me on suppressive therapy. I wanted to see if anyone where decided a few months in to stop taking suppression and what your experiences were. I don't like the idea of taking meds every day but I'm worried if I stop then I will end up having frequent outbreaks. Any suggestions ?

VVK

You might also be like most people who don't get outbreaks or rarely get them at all even without medication. I'd suggest watching your diet/nutrition as you come off the meds. If you keep your lysine intake at generous levels (cheeses, yogurts, etc.) and your sugar intake at reasonable/low levels, then you should be in a good position.

Nanci
Hi There,

I was diagnosed with genital type 1 in November and my doctor put me on suppressive therapy. I wanted to see if anyone where decided a few months in to stop taking suppression and what your experiences were. I don't like the idea of taking meds every day but I'm worried if I stop then I will end up having frequent outbreaks. Any suggestions ?[/quote

I kept Acyclovir around (and I still do) and hit it HARD when I felt and OB coming on, and that pretty much took care of the OB. I also use it if I am going to have sex with a non-H person on a suppressive basis, starting a week prior to when I think sex might happen. I did take L-Lyseine religiously for a long time. Now I take nothing, not even L-Lyseine, and I never get OBS. They reduced over time since I contracted it - like 3-6 the first year and less than 3 the second year and this is my 3rd year and no OBs yet. So take it slowly, see what happens, and when you feel the symptoms coming on, hit the antivirals hard (and take them for at least 4 -5 days even when you think it is over) and you'll be fine. I think the best advice is to get healthy otherwise, stay healthy, keep stress low, and when those things aren't happening and you are worried about OBs or transmission, take the antivirals preventatively. Good luck!

november13

As you know, I have gHSV1 too and haven't been taking meds and I haven't had any obs since my first. I had some itchiness but that went away. If you're not seeing anyone right now, just stop taking the meds and see how it goes. If you do have an ob from coming off of it (I think I remember you worrying about that once), it shouldn't last too long and probably you won't get one after that. You won't know how your body will react til you do it. You can always go back on meds if it's an issue.

LuckyHeart10

I think I'm going to get off of it after next week because I have a pretty big week next week with work. I will wait till things slow down and see how it goes !

cheergirl1

I was diagnosed with hsv g 1 in 2011 I take no meds and I don't watch anything I eat accept for I do try to eat at least one healthy food a day. I have only had 3 outbreaks since my inital outbreak and I take Valtrex with outbreaks only. Also my outbreaks are not horrible like the first I would say the itching is worse than the sores. If you don't want to take the meds I wouldn't worry but I would have some on hand incase you do have an OB. Hope this helps.