World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
daisy2008

Shedding!

daisy2008

I'm trying to understand this term "shedding"... Can anyone explain this to me?

I have Genital HSV2. Also I has Whitlow on my thumb ... That is cleared up. Is that now a site for my HSV2 & does it shed as well?

JBnATL

The actual term is asymptomatic shedding or shedding the virus without symptoms. The virus can be present on your skin but not enough to cause an outbreak. Most people get herpes from someone who is shedding the virus and doesn't even know they have it because they have never been tested and have never had an outbreak. Here is a link to a great article that talks about shedding and how often you do it:

http://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-disclosure-handout.pdf

Whitlow is typically hsv1, if yours is caused by hsv2 then you don't have much to worry about. Hsv2 prefers to be genital and in a warm moist place. So if you look at the rate of shedding for hsv2 oral, know that hsv2 whitlow sheds even less since your hand is not a warm moist place like your mouth.

If you use common sense like not having any skin to skin contact when you have symptoms you and your partner should be ok. I have had hsv1 oral and hsv2 genital for many years and have never passed either along.

Good luck!

JB

daisy2008

Awesome! Thank you for the info and link. It's easier to inform a partner about this when you have good information.

I figured once my thumb healed it would just be gone. Unless I reinfect it but now i know and when I infected it I didn't know I had HSV.

Thanks again :)

Han13

If you dont mind me asking, How did it spread to your thumb?

onelongnightmare

How many times have you had an outbreak on your thumb? Does it shed when there is no blister? I read that because the skin is not a mucous membrane the skin on the hand is too dry to shed. [uSER=58202]@daisy2008[/uSER]

daisy2008

I only had the outbreak the one time and it was with my very first OB . Didn't know I had HSV.

From the info I've received it doesn't shed. It's cleared up now

Tinderh2
The actual term is asymptomatic shedding or shedding the virus without symptoms. The virus can be present on your skin but not enough to cause an outbreak. Most people get herpes from someone who is shedding the virus and doesn't even know they have it because they have never been tested and have never had an outbreak. Here is a link to a great article that talks about shedding and how often you do it:

http://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-disclosure-handout.pdf

Whitlow is typically hsv1, if yours is caused by hsv2 then you don't have much to worry about. Hsv2 prefers to be genital and in a warm moist place. So if you look at the rate of shedding for hsv2 oral, know that hsv2 whitlow sheds even less since your hand is not a warm moist place like your mouth.

If you use common sense like not having any skin to skin contact when you have symptoms you and your partner should be ok. I have had hsv1 oral and hsv2 genital for many years and have never passed either along.

Good luck!

JB

You said you had both for a while and never passed it. Are you on medication or just living life

JBnATL

When I am dating someone who does not have this virus, I do take 400 mg of Acyclovir and 1000 mg of lysine a day. This is when I am in a physical relationship that involves intercourse. I have kissed several women that eventually did not lead to intercourse that I was not taking anything and to my knowledge I never passed my oral on to them.

JB

Tinderh2
When I am dating someone who does not have this virus, I do take 400 mg of Acyclovir and 1000 mg of lysine a day. This is when I am in a physical relationship that involves intercourse. I have kissed several women that eventually did not lead to intercourse that I was not taking anything and to my knowledge I never passed my oral on to them.

JB

Yeah that sounds promising and I've had sex with couple of girls before I knew j had it and either they still haven't found out or they're not callig me suspecting or they don't have it. I haven't had any outbreaks except possibly on my stomach and I think on my forehead. But my junk has been free of it for over a two weeks

daisy2008

[uSER=16520]@JBnATL[/uSER]

so when your dating someone you take the suppression therapy.. Do you then "always" use condoms as well. The reason I ask is that I met someone 7 months ago.. We are in a long distance relationship. We have not been intimate. He wants wants to know few things. If I'm taking suppression therapy and we are together he would like to risk not using condoms as long as I'm on the meds and no OBs. Also he wants to know what how high the transfer rate is if he were to do oral.. As long as I am on the meds? I said no oral at all...

This is the frustration .. I don't want to transfer.. So yes I will take the meds and use condoms. He says sometimes he will want without

UGH!!

JBnATL

I always let the women I date decide if we use condoms and while some have started out wanting to, they ALL changed their minds.

Here is a link to the best article I have seen that talks about transmission rates. Hopefully this will answer all of his questions::

Good luck!

JB

daisy2008

Thanks! Just wanting to be upfront and give all the information I can so that he can make the decision when the time comes :)