World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gliterati

Constant itching

gliterati

I was diagnosed with ghsv1 on December 7th with my primary OB. It came with BV and a yeast infection. Both have been resolved since then. Had pretty much back to back outbreaks until I went on suppressive earlier this month (500mg valtrex a day). However , I have constant itchiness and it has been over a couple weeks. I was tested for STIs, yeast etc. but they all came back negative. I also tried an antifungal cream but it hasn't made the itching subside. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do??

SheIsBlue

I was taking valacyclovir (Valtrex generic) on a daily basis. I stopped taking it b/c it was causing a yeast infection. Maybe the antivirals are causing the discomfort. You might also try RePHresh. That helps more with PH balance, but after several applications, I felt better. Hope this helps.

sameme

Hi Gliterati,

I also have GHSV1 and experienced constant prodrome symptoms when I first got it. I was actually having an OB every 2 weeks that would last a week so I went on daily suppression after 6 months of that nonsense. I take 1000mg of Valtrex daily for suppression and that took 2 months for me to see any difference in my symptoms. So you could try giving it some more time or you could talk to you doc about increasing the dose for a little while.

The other thing is that everyone is so different. Some people don't respond to antivirals the same way others do as SheIsBlue has suggested above that the antivirals can sometimes cause people other troubles. For me with my constant OBs, antivirals are the only thing that works. I tried for those first 6 months to find something natural to control my OBs but nothing worked for me. In the end, you have to give it time as your body just needs time to adjust to the virus. Also remember that whatever treatment you're trying, to give it a good long go before you decide if it's working or not (at least 2 months).

It will get better and you will find the right way to manage it for you.

S

gliterati

I've been on it for at least a month now. I am scared to stop because Im in school right now with stressors all around me to start another OB. I also don't want to put my partner at increased risk by going off it. But my entire body is itchy all the time now. My doctor said she's out of ideas...

gliterati

I've increased to a gram a day for the past couple days and the itching has become worse and full body

sameme

Okay, so you can go off it and try another antiviral or try nothing and see if the symptoms subside. It does take your body a while to adjust to having the virus. I went through 6 months of ever changing symptoms until finally it settled down.

gliterati

That's reassuring to know. The doctor keeps telling me this isn't "normal" and that its "only hsv1" so it shouldn't be this bad at all. But I'm just constantly uncomfortable :(

sameme

A lot of people have only one OB and then nothing ever again with GHSV1 but I have talked to many (mostly women) who have about a year of various levels of symptoms.

If the total body itching is that bad, maybe you should try going off valtrex just to see if it's some side effect of the med? For me, the first few months were just at the mercy of the virus and my body learning to cope with it. I just let it run its course (only took meds to treat an actual OB). It wasn't pleasant but eventually it will stabilize.

gliterati

What symptoms did you have before it stabilized ?

A lot of people have only one OB and then nothing ever again with GHSV1 but I have talked to many (mostly women) who have about a year of various levels of symptoms.

If the total body itching is that bad, maybe you should try going off valtrex just to see if it's some side effect of the med? For me, the first few months were just at the mercy of the virus and my body learning to cope with it. I just let it run its course (only took meds to treat an actual OB). It wasn't pleasant but eventually it will stabilize.

What

sameme

My symptoms were more general inflammation that caused pain and not usually itching (although sometimes I got short periods of itching) and then when the lesions surfaced, they are pimple-like. I never had constant prodrome without it producing an actual OB like some people. So if I got my pain and irritation prodrome, I would have lesions within a day.

How are you getting along now gliterati? Has the itching reduced?

Terrell
I was diagnosed with ghsv1 on December 7th with my primary OB. It came with BV and a yeast infection. Both have been resolved since then. Had pretty much back to back outbreaks until I went on suppressive earlier this month (500mg valtrex a day). However , I have constant itchiness and it has been over a couple weeks. I was tested for STIs, yeast etc. but they all came back negative. I also tried an antifungal cream but it hasn't made the itching subside. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do??

My itching started with the medicine everytime I take them. I initially took pronovex.