World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
TripleH

Pretty sure it's oral HSV-2. How should I tell her?

TripleH

Having a cold sore is generally common and no big deal, right? What if you've been diagnosed (via blood test) that you have HSV-2? I've had definite symptoms (non of them swabbed however) that indicate oral HSV. Around two pronounced "outbreaks" in my mouth and inner lips, and for a few years now, a tingling on my lips and sore-looking thing after being in the sun. All sounds like oral HSV right?

Well, I just met a woman I have a lot in common with, and would like to date. Am I 100% this is not genital and all the mouth stuff is totally unrelated? No. Is it likely that I only have an oral infection? Yes. But now that I know it's HSV-2 and not HSV-1, WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO??

Telling her is the "right" thing to do, but no one ever pulled me aside and said "Hey, I have to tell you something. I get cold sores." I think I would laugh!

JBnATL

There is no way you can be 100% certain that you don't have it genital. Just because you may have never had genital symptoms doesn't mean you don't have it there. Most people who get genital herpes get it from someone who does not know they have it because they have never had symptoms there.

Also what you have oral can be caused by many things such as canker sores and not herpes. Unless you get a swab positive for hsv you won't know for certain if it is herpes or not. If you have been getting these sores for a few years then it may not be caused by the hsv2 virus because hsv2 doesn't like to be oral and typically those who have it there don't experience any outbreaks, or at least an initial one and never another.

The next time you do get an oral sore, have it swabbed and know for certain.

When you do tell this woman, do so casually. Ask her if she has ever had a cold sore, chances are she has and probably thinks nothing of them. Then tell her you have tested positive for the virus that causes them but you aren't exactly sure where you have it. Make sure she knows what causes cold sores and tell her if she does not.

Good luck!

JB

TripleH

Ok. So maybe the tingling lips/suspicious bump at corner of mouth after sun exposure is totally unrelated, and will remove that from the equation.

That leaves the very rarely-occurring intraoral sores that develop on the gums, tongue and inner lips. The tongue sores are particularly small and blister-like, and all of these symptoms have repeatedly been triggered by a diet high in almonds, cashews or l-arginine supplements. I took these supplements for going to the gym, and had to stop cause I kept getting mouth sores. Then, I read that nuts, particularly almonds and cashews, are high in arginine, so I had to stop eating those due to the link between them and outbreaks. Even my ex-wife had to stop eating almonds because she would get more frequent outbreaks of oral herpes on her outer lip area (the more traditional kind).

Aside from my history there, I'm at a crossroads. Eat a ton of nuts and force an outbreak so I can get swabbed, or start taking lysine supplements (that helps prevent outbreaks) and tell the girl what I have with my less-than-%100 certainty.

Some choices in life are harder than others.

DaisyAnn

I have oral hsv-2. In my particular case, I can be certain it is not also genital. I know mine is oral only. I get them inside my mouth as well. Mine usually come up in the same spots as previous times. But the mouth sores aren't as painful as the lip sores.

I have used the search feature on this site and found that 10 out of the 34 members on here that claim to have oral hsv-2, claim to have CONSTANT OUTBREAKS. (I can type a full list of these 10 people so that you can also do a search and see that I am not making this up.)I am one of these people (so I suppose it's technically 11 out of 35 people). I do not believe the literature about oral hsv-2 being mild.

Yes, I realize that the people on here are not representative of the overall population of people with oral hsv-2. I know that people who have more severe oral hsv-2 are more likely to come to this forum than people who have it mildly. But I do want people to stop blindly accepting the literature that oral hsv-2 is mild. I communicate with a girl on here through the chat feature that also has constant symptoms.... for two years straight now.

Anyway, despite what I just said above, there is still a very good chance you don't have oral hsv-2 after all. The antibody tests miss 1 out of 10 people with hsv-1. So you may have hsv-1 in addition to hsv-2. The majority of people have oral hsv-1, so chances are good that you do. And as for the hsv-2, because most people (80%) that have hsv-2 don't realize it, you could be in that 80 percent.

So my very best guess for you is that you have both hsv-1 that was undetected by the antibody test and that you also have hsv-2 (genitally in your case) that's gone unnoticed because you don't have noticeable symptoms.

If you want to be sure, you can get your sores swabbed. (Be sure to get a PCR swab that is more sensitive than a culture.) Or you can get a Western Blot test, as that is more sensitive than the herpeselect anti-body test. (It still does miss some, however.)

TripleH

[uSER=57491]@DaisyAnn[/uSER] - so there's a very real possibility that I could be like you and others on here, as your symptoms sound identical to mine. Sores inside the mouth, recurring in the same spots, and none on the outer lips where most people get cold sores.

I decided to run the experiment and try to force an outbreak, so I can get swabbed. I'm eating a lot of almonds and cashews, and will take arginine supplements. Hopefully this will generate an outbreak in whichever area it exists.

To be honest, I was shocked I didn't test positive for HSV-1 given my oral symptoms. I'll post any findings.

Acesheart

Hey Triple H, just because some ppl get severe outbreaks and often, doesn't mean you will. Each body and how you take care of that body has a lot to do with outbreaks. I've spoken with many here and not all get bad outbreaks from oral h2 simply because it prefers the genitals home. Treat your body well, eat good fresh is best, sleeping habits are also considered to play a part and exercise will help maintain a healthy immune systems. Take care. Truly Aces xo

DaisyAnn

Triple H, I just want to clarify that I do get them on my lips. When I said the mouth sores aren't as painful as the lips sores, I should have said, "My mouth sores aren't as painful as my lip sores." I also have two spots on my tongue that burn... but you can't see anything there. During my primary infection, they burned more than any other spot, but now they just burn mildly, and never for more than a few moments at a time. The girl that I talk to that has had oral hsv-2 outbreaks for over two years, has a lot of trouble with outbreaks on her tongue. Her spots are very visible, though.

sagetea

Triple H, I'd spend some more time getting to know her before you tell her about it. If you've just met her, then how can you even be sure that you want to date her for longer than a few dates? It might turn out that you're not even interested enough to pursue her. OR if it does work out, then just make sure she knows that it's possible for her to contract HSV through receiving oral sex from you if you're unprotected. Getting the sores swabbed is always the best bet, but I am guessing that since your previous partner also got HSV oral (usually type 1) then it's probably just HSV-1. If it gives you comfort, get them swabbed next time you have an outbreak. Either way, it's still possible for you to spread the virus through oral play so you should give your partner a heads-up out of respect for their ability to choose-- but ultimately it's your decision.

TripleH

Thanks [uSER=56995]@sagetea[/uSER]. I'm hoping an outbreak happens soon so I'll know for sure. Dumb of me to not go to the dr when I had an outbreak. I just assumed it was canker sores, coupled with a little "sticking my head in the sand".

sagetea

You know what's crazy is that when I first got gHSV-1, it was coupled with this crazy throat infection and canker sores inside my mouth. The initial sores that I got downstairs were very similar looking-- benign really, they weren't blisters and they didn't itch or burn or hurt. I got both swabbed, downstairs ended up being gHSV-1, but my throat came back as a bacterial infection. It wasn't until I started taking antibiotics that I got a very typical outbreak downstairs. But I still wonder if the canker sores had anything to do with the gHSV-1 infection since I hadn't had a canker sore in 15 years.

My doctor and my naturopath reassured me that canker sores have nothing to do with HSV-1 in the mouth. But honestly, everyone's body deals with the infections differently and if I hadn't gotten that throat infection I would have never went to the doctor because I didn't even know that I had a couple of sores downstairs THAT's how benign they were (I only went because of my fever). It's no wonder that 80% of people who have HSV aren't even aware.

TripleH

Wow [uSER=56995]@sagetea[/uSER], those are some pretty atypical scenarios, at least what's commonly found on the internet. Sores without pain or sensation. You say the genital ones looked similar to the ones in your mouth? Like canker sores but without pain?

To this day I've never had anything that resembles a typical herpetic lesion downstairs. Only in my mouth, but didn't have the sense to get anything swabbed.

sagetea

Yeah it was weird! When I first went in the doctor was like 99% sure it wasn't gHSV and was super surprised when the tests came back positive. Honestly, my body just likes to do the most rare/random stuff. LOL. I even contracted gHSV-1 through oral sex when the dude had no outbreak, so really anything is possible haha. Luckily I'm with someone who is amazing and didn't even skip a beat when I told him on Monday. Let us know what happens when you eventually get swabbed!

DaisyAnn

Yeah, let us know! And I really hope for your sake that it's just hsv-1.

TripleH

Well, I got the tip of my urethra swabbed as well as the inside of my mouth along the gums and bottom lip, where I felt pain and saw herpetic gingivostomatitis. Both came back negative, as well as the urine sample. So good news and bad news. The bad news being that I don't know if the damn thing's oral or not.

Over a week now of pumping myself full of arginine, eating a lot of nuts, being out in the sun and drinking mild-to-excessively, all in hopes of triggering an outbreak, have largely failed. However, any sensation I could say that has been indicative of an outbreak is spotty discomfort around my mouth, throat and lips...but no definitive sores. I did have one painful bump on the inside of my mouth, but the pain went away quickly.

My symptoms indicate oral herpes. Massive oral outbreak of sores along the inner lips, tongue and throat with heavy flu-like symptoms, followed by tingling in the upper lip and nostril after sun exposure that continue to this day. I've also felt burning/stinging sensations at the corners of my mouth that felt like paper cuts.

I'm gonna finish off this bag of nuts and bottle of arginine, and if nothing happens I'll just start taking lysine daily, and maybe an anti-herp. Then I'll just resort to being unsure when I tell people.

I asked my doc if perhaps the blood test missed possible HSV-1 antibodies, but she said it's unlikely. Perhaps I'll get retested just to be sure.