World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Before and After

Creating a stigma for profit

Acesheart

Dear BandA, it took me a while to thoroughly READ this properly, but it was amazing to see it finally in writing. JBnAtl has said THIS very same think for as long as I've been a member, so I decided we needed to "sticky" thread to the TOP of this Section in hopes that everyone here and newly joined users will READ this and see how much of a stigma this virus has and blownout of proportion it has become.

I wanted to say Great Job! Thank you for this information. Hugs Aces xo

Acesheart

Hey Vidhya, I thank you for making this link available, more easy for others to find.

Now I see you have given another a very sweet hug, by any chance is there an extra one for me? Been having tough times , Not herps but just being hormonal female, my arms are open, ready for that wonderful hug. Hugs to you my friend. :luv2u: Aces xo

Vidhya

Oh, Ace, I always remember that sweet Latina from so many chats in previous years! Un abrazo muy, muy fuerte carino! Um grande apraço para a minha querida amiga! We'll chat more, I'm not going anywhere this time! :)

Acesheart
Oh, Ace, I always remember that sweet Latina from so many chats in previous years! Un abrazo muy, muy fuerte carino! Um grande apraço para a minha querida amiga! We'll chat more, I'm not going anywhere this time! :)

Oh my I'm flushed,lol.. I may need to take another hormone pill, :gigglegiggle: . I enjoy talking with you , you have opened mind and for that I am most grateful. I know when other's read some of your post they will better understand that beautiful mind of yours that I am privileged to. Yes, PLEASE stay a while ,so many things have occurred, I need to fill you in :) . Big squishy hugs. :luv2u: Aces xo. Chat soon,

angela1212

confused about why it would be in the interest of a drug company to create stigma? surely less care would increase infection rates? - maybe I guess through people not disclosing there will be guaranteed customers?

Mellisuga
On 2015-02-13 at 11:29 PM, Before and After said:

As late as the 1975, nursing textbooks did not include herpes as it was considered no worse than a common cold. After the development of acyclovir in the 1970s, the drug company Burroughs Wellcomelaunched an extensive marketing campaign that publicized the illness, including creating victim's support groups.

Source:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/11041#.VN19gubF-So

Does anyone actually have a copy of these nursing text books? I want to see what they consider "VD"s (or STIs).

Evolver16
On 1/10/2016 at 11:26 AM, angela1212 said:

confused about why it would be in the interest of a drug company to create stigma? surely less care would increase infection rates? - maybe I guess through people not disclosing there will be guaranteed customers?

The drug was created to "treat" it but no one cared to buy it because it wasn't a big deal. When they created a marketing campaign to pump fear into the masses the drug flew off the shelves.  No one can prevent transmission as we are sexual beings and can't get it on without skin on skin- u can, but u get what I'm saying, so they knew that by creating this fear of herpes they would forever be able to sell it to the world. 

K_Sock
On 4/23/2016 at 7:16 PM, Evolver16 said:

The drug was created to "treat" it but no one cared to buy it because it wasn't a big deal. When they created a marketing campaign to pump fear into the masses the drug flew off the shelves.

I remember seeing valtrex ads well over a decade ago. They were not fear mongering at all... The one I saw was simply a discordant couple that could be happier avoiding transmission because one partner was taking the antiviral. 

It is true that marketing is manipulative by nature, but the fact that sales improved upon marketing efforts may only suggest that people started to buy it because they became aware of it. 

No one can prevent transmission as we are sexual beings and can't get it on without skin on skin- u can, but u get what I'm saying, so they knew that by creating this fear of herpes they would forever be able to sell it to the world. 

Herpes is something to be feared by people... Just as I fear catching a flu when others around me have it, I can undeniably say that everyone would rather not get hsv. In that light, valtrex is awesome and we should be thankful it exists as it helps alot of people. 

Personally, the stigma doesn't really concern me as I know I'm a good man who has mostly made good choices. Even if I had made mostly bad choices I don't think the stigma would concern me. All that concerns me is having a virus that's not ideal and finding ways to live as happily as I can. 

Edited by K_Sock
I just had sex

K_Sock
6 minutes ago, cantdoit said:

Actually there are people who have it and are quite afraid of it. It is a nasty std 

Yes, of course. It's something to be feared by people who have it and people who don't have it. 

Re: 'STD', yes, we all get that it's sexually transmitted. You need some new material. 

Edited by K_Sock
The secret life of pets

Lisajd

They are afraid because they are not educated enough.  

K_Sock
30 minutes ago, Lisajd said:

They are afraid because they are not educated enough.  

Lifelong painful sores recurring intermittently... I'm not sure there is any level of additional education that would make that not 'scary'...  Well, besides the 'everyone has it and doesn't know it' line.

Perhaps afraid/scary is the wrong phrasing though. 

Edited by K_Sock
The Atlantic Ocean is the best ocean

Lisajd
6 minutes ago, cantdoit said:

It's a fact. It's an STD. I'm quite educated about it and still find it disgusting. 

If thats how you feel no one can change that except you.  

Lisajd
15 minutes ago, K_Sock said:

Lifelong painful sores recurring intermittently... I'm not sure there is any level of additional education that would make that not 'scary'...  Well, besides the 'everyone has it and doesn't know it' line.

Perhaps afraid/scary is the wrong phrasing though. 

If you know how the virus works and how you can manage it equals less fear.  If you know you can still date with it equals less fear.  

K_Sock
1 minute ago, Lisajd said:

If you know how the virus works and how you can manage it equals less fear.  If you know you can still date with it equals less fear.  

Agreed that education can make it 'less scary'. Nonetheless, still scary for both those who have it, and those that don't - that will never change until there is an awesome vaccine or cure. 

WilsoInAus

Yes but this depends on your life perspective, either everything is scary, or nothing is scary.

K_Sock
Just now, WilsoInAus said:

Yes but this depends on your life perspective, either everything is scary, or nothing is scary.

Really?! I did not know that -- I thought everyone was afraid of something, but you're telling me that if they're afraid of something than they're afraid of everything?

So it's not possible for me to be scared of scuba diving (something I do even though drowning terrifies me) and not scared of butterflies? I could get a lot more silly with examples..

What a load of rubbish Wilson  

K_Sock

@cantdoit it's fine to be disgusted. It's not pretty. As long as you still know you're great that's all that matters. 

I feel disgusting when I have the flu or have mad diarrhea ;)

Brokenforever
2 minutes ago, cantdoit said:

I would be equally disgusted by gonorreha. However it can be cured. 

The fact is this std has been ignored. I agree it is disgusting. 

Lisajd
1 minute ago, Brokenforever said:

The fact is this std has been ignored. I agree it is disgusting. 

Yes we know toothfairy.

Lisajd
9 minutes ago, K_Sock said:

Really?! I did not know that -- I thought everyone was afraid of something, but you're telling me that if they're afraid of something than they're afraid of everything?

So it's not possible for me to be scared of scuba diving (something I do even though drowning terrifies me) and not scared of butterflies? I could get a lot more silly with examples..

Yeah im scared of getting hit by a car cycling and not having a job  but im not scared of being mugged in a foreign country or being eaten by a shark diving.    

Brokenforever

Lisa you seem totally at peace with this disease. As you know I'm distraught by this vile virus. It will never be accepted by me. I won't ever be the one giving up my spare time to spread the joy of herpes. 

Broken forever/ Toothfairy 

WilsoInAus
18 minutes ago, K_Sock said:

Not at all, it is all the logic. Inspects kill multiples more people than scuba diving, so the fear is irrational. If you fear scuba diving, by definition you must fear butterflies... and coconuts!