World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Before and After

Creating a stigma for profit

Lisajd
3 minutes ago, Brokenforever said:

Lisa you seem totally at peace with this disease. As you know I'm distraught by this vile virus. It will never be accepted by me. I won't ever be the one giving up my spare time to spread the joy of herpes. 

Broken forever/ Toothfairy 

Thats a shame you feel that way.  Have you tried to get help.  It doesnt need to destroy your life. Yes i am ok with it because i can live my life.  I dont like i have it but i cant change it and it isnt going to kill me.  There are too many things to enjoy in life to let this get in my way.  Been there done that. Not wasting my life again. 

Brokenforever

Help by what definition? Yes I have a therapist... However she doesn't have herpes so she has no idea how horrific it is. We can talk forever but it won't change this shit situation... My Dr can give me pills to help with the depressed state I'm in... Will it remove herpes? No. 

So im stuck with this crap until something comes along that can "cure" it. That's the only help  that will help me. 

K_Sock
5 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Not at all, it is all the logic. Inspects kill multiples more people than scuba diving, so the fear is irrational. If you fear scuba diving, by definition you must fear butterflies... and coconuts!

Fear is an emotion.... Just like love, fear is not always logical...nor should it be. 

WilsoInAus
2 minutes ago, K_Sock said:

Fear is an emotion.... Just like love, fear is not always logical...nor should it be. 

That's right, that's my point!

K_Sock
1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

That's right, that's my point!

But, the point was that people will always be afraid of hsv... Even if people were not emotional about the decision (which they're) it still is not logical to want to acquire something that can cause suffering... 

Edited by K_Sock
Woah

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, K_Sock said:

But, the point was that people will always be afraid of hsv... Even if people were not emotional about the decision (which they're) it still is not logical to want to acquire something that can cause suffering... 

Wrong, since 90% of people will get HSV-1 and HSV-2 they are not afraid of acquiring it. What suffering? We have no idea what suffering even is. By your own admission you do not suffer anything regarding herpes. You didn't even know you had it until you were 24 and were probably infected as a baby!

Lisajd
2 hours ago, Brokenforever said:

Lisa you seem totally at peace with this disease. As you know I'm distraught by this vile virus. It will never be accepted by me. I won't ever be the one giving up my spare time to spread the joy of herpes. 

Broken forever/ Toothfairy 

Wilson you have obviously had hsv1 for quite a long time and live  quite happily with it. you do often diminish it and while I think it's no big deal not everyone does and you need to respect that.  

WilsoInAus

But that is the point of this entire website, to not make a big deal out of it. That is what we all want, right?

Lisajd
20 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

But that is the point of this entire website, to not make a big deal out of it. That is what we all want, right?

Id love for those who cant deal with it to be ok with it but some cant.  Someone once told me that how something affects you is what matters.  Whether you or i or 100 others with hsv think its no big deal is irrelevant.  We try to help people be ok with it and appreciate that its a big deal for them.  If they dont try to move forward then i have issue with that but you still acknowledge their feelings

WilsoInAus

But what is potentially unique about HSV is that what people think and behave around it is a thousand times worse than what the virus can ever do itself. Hence what you, I and 100 others think IS entirely relevant.

VVK

Okay. I have hidden some posts. Wilso and K_Sock - you two obviously have a lot to discuss in private between the two of you rather than derailing topics.

The other parties involved in thread necromancy and perpetuation of same: Your marks have been made in this topic. Yes, there are people that rightfully believe herpes to be a vile and disgusting virus that shouldn't be accepted. Likewise with the responses. It's all the same, saying it multiple times in different threads doesn't make anyone more or less right. How about something that's actually relevant to the topic?

In February 2015, the OP of this thread pointed out some reading material about how herpes, which was viewed on the same level as the common cold, was made into something of a big deal in the mid- to late- 1970s. If it wasn't fear-mongering, it was certainly a marketing strategy that worked. People started to pay much more attention to herpes infections and wanting to avoid them and/or protect their partners.

Regardless of how many people or what percentage of the population has herpes (of whatever type), it makes no sense to generalize everyone's experience with the virus. Most will be okay, but some will have it pretty rough, with physical and/or psychological symptoms.

Peeved
On 26 July 2016 at 0:29 PM, WilsoInAus said:

I don't think that's the point of this website at all and btw these stats you're throwing around are wrong, and if I had hsv1 instead of hsv2 I'd care a hell of a lot less than I do with hsv2.

WilsoInAus

No my stats are correct, which ones are wrong and where is your source of the correct stats?

SD777

Having no improvements in treatment since the 80's is obscene.  Big pharma is profiting billions off on antivirals, but the spread of this virus keeps increasing every year.  We need to do something to show that the current drugs available are entirely insufficient. I'm going to strike on antivirals until better treatment is available.

K_Sock
8 hours ago, SD777 said:

Having no improvements in treatment since the 80's is obscene.

Alzheimers, MS, ALS, etc.. have all been around a long time and don't really have any treatments at all despite being very debilitating AND having actual charities and fundraising events driving research ...so, we should almost consider ourselves lucky we have helpful antivirals at all..

8 hours ago, SD777 said:

Big pharma is profiting billions off on antivirals, but the spread of this virus keeps increasing every year.  

Yes, big pharma is a little evil.. But current antivirals are very reasonably priced right now... There's no reason why they shouldn't profit if a consumer finds their product useful.. Oh, and i've seen very conflicting reports about the trend of HSV infections.. Nonetheless, if currently 2/3 have oral hsv and 1/5 have genital hsv already anyway, than clearly it's already a massive epidemic that requires millions of infections every year to even remain at that level... 

8 hours ago, SD777 said:

We need to do something to show that the current drugs available are entirely insufficient. I'm going to strike on antivirals until better treatment is available.

It's only together that we can make change.. There has never been any major united movement from HSV sufferers designed to ask for better. It's certainly amazing that out of so many HSV-infected people, that I have actually raised the most public funding for HSV research -- $110K to Dr.Rider for DRACO development...

Mellisuga

One thing that no one has disagreed on yet (yay!) is this. Herpes has been with humans for a long time (even perhaps mentioned in ancient Roman texts haha). In the World Wars, soldiers were advised to avoid deadly VDs - mainly syphilis and gonorrhea. Not herpes. So the idea that it became an overblown worry in the 1970s? Totally plausible.

Having any disease sucks. Having a disease that is a pain in the nether regions seriously sucks. If it leaves you bedridden for a few days its a really sad thing to have happen. However herpes isn't really mentioned as being a priority in the medical community (yes, we all know that). It doesn't kill you, nor leaves you infertile. It certainly isn't hindering our population explosion either (7 billion humans and going up!). So, the original post in this thread is pretty awesome for pointing that out.

By the way folks - there's a big bad scary strain of anti-biotic resistant gonorrhea going around these days. Play safe!

Unrequited
On 08/10/2016 at 2:51 PM, K_Sock said:

Alzheimers, MS, ALS, etc.. have all been around a long time and don't really have any treatments at all despite being very debilitating AND having actual charities and fundraising events driving research ...so, we should almost consider ourselves lucky we have helpful antivirals at all..

Yes, big pharma is a little evil.. But current antivirals are very reasonably priced right now... There's no reason why they shouldn't profit if a consumer finds their product useful.. Oh, and i've seen very conflicting reports about the trend of HSV infections.. Nonetheless, if currently 2/3 have oral hsv and 1/5 have genital hsv already anyway, than clearly it's already a massive epidemic that requires millions of infections every year to even remain at that level... 

It's only together that we can make change.. There has never been any major united movement from HSV sufferers designed to ask for better. It's certainly amazing that out of so many HSV-infected people, that I have actually raised the most public funding for HSV research -- $110K to Dr.Rider for DRACO development...

Is DRACO still in the running K-Sock?

K_Sock
On 1/28/2017 at 3:52 PM, Unrequited said:

Is DRACO still in the running K-Sock?

@UnrequitedIt is...Well, sort of. It has to be said that while Dr.Rider is a very good man with all the right intentions, very little progress has been made and DRACO is nowhere close to demonstrating efficacy against HSV at a cellular level, let alone in human trials (at least 8 years away).

Of course i'm disappointed in the lack of progress...That said, I'd do it all again as I know we have to stand up and 'make a scene' if we're to expedite a path to a cure. 

As Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."... This is certainly true in my opinion - we get out of this world what we put into it...i've always wanted to fight for better alongside the fine folks here. 

Stillme1968

has this become then an arguement over rational vs. irrational fear?

I find that irrational 

vitacoco

This makes me so upset because I was recently diagnosed and I was telling my boyfriend I'm not afraid of the medical consequences (for me, it's just a small rash) but more the stigma and how people will treat me. I wish there was some way to launch a large-spread campaign to expose the false stigma. 

K_Sock

@vitacoco There is.. It's called $! Sounds like a cop out of an answer, but it's the truth that a massive amount of money and smart marketing could make a huge dent in the stigma.

As per past comments, it's a losing battle anyway as I believe the path to an HSV cure is shorter than the path to HSV being 'socially acceptable' in the mainstream. That's not to say that an HSV cure is on the horizon...but stigmas take a long time to eliminate.

Micah

I Think that the stigma cannot be overcome. I wouldn't waste time making that the goal. What we can do is be more active in supporting companies that pursue true cures and therapeutic vaccines. 

Whether that's a blog or donations. That should be the goal. I think it's possible.

Edited by Micah

Worst Luck

As a mother of four kids, we stay away from any sickness, whether someone has a cold or a cold sore. I tell my kids to not share anything from food and drink to clothes and to keep their hands out of their mouths. We don't even share with each other.  I think the flu is just as stigmatized. If someone coughs are sneezes by me I move away and ask if they're sick or tell them to please not put their germs on me!  I think as the world fills with more and more people and information becomes more easily available, that all contagious diseases are going to be stigmatized.  Even things that aren't contagious gross people out and make them worry they can get them just because of the way they look or how much they hurt. STDs just have it worse because everybody associates those with "dirty people who hook up with everyone" when that's not usually the case 

Worst Luck

Monos just as stigmatized and associated with kissing and my 8 year old daughter contracted it at school with 3 other third graders because they all passed around a water bottle at PE. My daughter missed 2 months of school and then I came down with it after . I was completely unaware a child that age could even contact it. So as a mother I'm glad they share all these "scary" stories of rare things babies and kids can contact that can be potentially life threatening or life changing.  If I can protect my kids I'll do the best I can and just because it's rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen so having all the knowledge I can is the best defense.