World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Before and After

Creating a stigma for profit

IcantThinkofaName
2 hours ago, Worst Luck said:

just because it's rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen so having all the knowledge I can is the best defense.  

They are not rare, its  just that no one is talking about it or no one knows they caught it.

HSV, EBV and CMV are very common I guess.

Beachlovr88

I'm sorry but, how will this not affect the rest of your life? Your health, relationships, pregnancy, dealing with breakouts, discomfort, illness, antiviral meds not working, stress induced breakouts, increased risk of other STD's. How is this STIGMA? And NOT a big deal?

Edited by Beachlovr88

K_Sock

@Beachlovr88 lots of things can affect the rest of your life and so will this. That said, how it affects the rest of your life is up to you. A life with love and happiness is still very much an option but you'll have to go out and make it happen.

35hope

its a big deal anything that is life altering is a big deal

the way people try to cope with this disease is to much sometimes

Beachlovr88
7 hours ago, K_Sock said:

@Beachlovr88 lots of things can affect the rest of your life and so will this. That said, how it affects the rest of your life is up to you. A life with love and happiness is still very much an option but you'll have to go out and make it happen.

Just reading that, makes me feel worse. Especially when you tell me to "go out and make it happen." I'm dating someone already, but the physical toll this has taken on me, has made my life miserable. It's not about "attitude". You can't run around with a big effing smile on your face when you're fighting extreme fatigue and the 12th respiratory infection you had in a two month time frame. 

Theremustbeaway

This virus does nothing to me physically , but it has lowered my self esteem , made me feel contagious and reduced my sexuality . Physically it does nothing to me , mentally it has turned my world upside down .

blurneworder
1 hour ago, Theremustbeaway said:

This virus does nothing to me physically , but it has lowered my self esteem , made me feel contagious and reduced my sexuality . Physically it does nothing to me , mentally it has turned my world upside down .

Same.

MikeHerp
On 2/13/2015 at 1:29 PM, Before and After said:

As late as the 1975, nursing textbooks did not include herpes as it was considered no worse than a common cold. After the development of acyclovir in the 1970s, the drug company Burroughs Wellcomelaunched an extensive marketing campaign that publicized the illness, including creating victim's support groups.

Source:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/11041#.VN19gubF-So

Knowledge about herpes viruses in 1975 was nearly non-existent.  So to say that it was considered no worse than a common cold, is basically just admitting that people were completely ignorant. Nursing textbooks of the 1970s are pretty much full of information that would today be widely considered as nonsensical.  

That was the decade when mothers would hold "chicken pox parties" to make sure their children get varicellar virus so that they can be "forever over and done with it".  

We now know that those mothers irreparably hurt their childrens' health.  Fortunately, an effective therapeutic vaccine was developed for that one to partially undo the damage, but shingles affects many people in the world today.

That was also a time when people didn't connect HSV with HIV or understood that HSV was a driver of the HIV epidemic.  In fact, nothing was really known about HIV at all either at that time.  

I don't know about drug companies intentions.  But to the extent that suppression medication with valtrex lessens the risk of HSV transmission, such measures undoubtedly saved many lives.  A lot of people died in the 1980s from AIDS, and if the HSV/HIV connection had been known earlier, many would have been saved.   

Edited by MikeHerp

WilsoInAus

@MikeHerp there you go again with you right unsubstantiated drivel about HIV. This is a herpes website.

There is no evidence to support your views.

And we are all sick of this stuff from someone who doesn’t test positive for herpes.

Let people hear the real story.

MikeHerp

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother about this.  Both the WHO and CDC agree about the HSV/HIV link.  Countless studies have supported it.

If this was a forum to discuss astronomy, you'd be our resident flat-earther. 

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, MikeHerp said:

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother about this.  Both the WHO and CDC agree about the HSV/HIV link.  Countless studies have supported it.

No, they concluded further studies were necessary.

Those further studies show that HHV-6 is a stronger link if there is a link to be found.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4785766/

1 hour ago, MikeHerp said:

No, they concluded further studies were necessary.

Those further studies show that HHV-6 is a stronger link if there is a link to be found.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4785766/

MikeHerp

"Over the last 33 years, epidemiologic and molecular studies have indicated a strong and synergistic relationship between the dual epidemics of HSV-2 and HIV-1 infection.[34] The synergy between these two STIs goes beyond similar risk factors for acquisition; they interact both in their epidemiologic niche and at a pathogenesis level driving HIV replication.[35]"

That's from your study dude.  :joy:

WilsoInAus
8 minutes ago, MikeHerp said:

"Over the last 33 years, epidemiologic and molecular studies have indicated a strong and synergistic relationship between the dual epidemics of HSV-2 and HIV-1 infection.[34] The synergy between these two STIs goes beyond similar risk factors for acquisition; they interact both in their epidemiologic niche and at a pathogenesis level driving HIV replication.[35]"

That's from your study dude.  :joy:

Yes we know all that, this goes back to your argument that if HSV-2 was cured that HIV incidence would reduce. 

This paper shows, to the extent that you believe in correlations, that  ANY and ALL of the HHV “might” promote HIV infection.

Hence it can’t be suggested any one of them is causal since it only takes one type to create a myriad of risks.

If you believe in the HHV link then you’d go after HHV-6 first. But you’d  need them all gone for any impact on HIV incidence.

And then that can be overridden by behaviours...

MikeHerp

That's really awesome that you have these disagreements.  Here's a thought: why don't you write to the study authors.  Suggest some edits.  

Or demand to J Lab Physicians to retract the paper.  :joy:  You obviously strongly disagree with its basic statements.  

MikeHerp

Here's the suggested edit that you can demand: 

"Over the last 33 years, epidemiologic and molecular studies have indicated a strong and synergistic relationship between the dual epidemics of HSV-2 and HIV-1 infection.[34] The synergy between these two STIs goes beyond similar risk factors for acquisition; they interact both in their epidemiologic niche and at a pathogenesis level driving HIV replication have no link.[35]"

But you;'d have to replace the citation [35]--maybe you can cite your own study. You're a renowned scholar in this field, after all.

WilsoInAus

@MikeHerp there is no need to edit anything. Merely read the whole paper and the conclusion...

Just as the author intended...

CONCLUSIONS

The clinical management of HHVs in individuals with HIV infection has lagged seriously behind the large body of medical literature on the importance of the interaction between these pathogens. However, the recent data shows that screening and treating subclinical HHV infection may offer benefits to individuals with HIV infection.

MikeHerp

There are various illnesses that can complicate HIV infections.  That has nothing to do with the well documented increased risk of HIV infection from having genital HSV-2.

It doesn't disprove it, or is even relevant to it. 

WilsoInAus
3 minutes ago, MikeHerp said:

There are various illnesses that can complicate HIV infections.  That has nothing to do with the well documented increased risk of HIV infection from having genital HSV-2.

It doesn't disprove it, or is even relevant to it. 

Yes it does, please link to a study that shows an increased infection rate for people with HSV-2 and no other form of HHV and “corrected” for sexual behaviours.