World's Largest Herpes Support Group
worried2104

Some "Cure" questions for the experts

worried2104

I tend to read the testing and research forums on this webpage the most.

I have seen some on here that are very much up to date with the info on possible vaccines and treatments.

Some say that we are 5 years away from cure. Some say 10. Some say it is a pipe dream. Then we have the "Functional Cure" vs the "Pure Cure". Preventative vs therapeutic.

In the end we all want something that does not cause outbreaks and can't infect those we love.

None of us can stop living and just wait for a cure. Its not practical.

So I was wondering if somebody could throw out a timeline and answer a few questions.

Nobody can stop living just to wait for a cure. Its not practical.

1)Honest opinion on how long until we have a either a functional or pure cure?

2)Would it be smart to get the first vaccine that comes out? I say this because of the "what if" factor. Such as "what if something better comes out later?" Could having taken vaccine A cause Vaccine B to be less effective?

3)Do we really want a "pure cure" considering that it is almost impossible to not get it again and again with such high % global prevalence . Would it not be best to get a drug that makes us immune rather that have a drug that clears it from our system totally and leaves us open to get re-infected?

4)Are those that already have it screwed?? Do we need a pure cure to rid us first from the virus so we can then be vaccinated?

W

VVK

I think this question can't be answered at this point. Several vaccines are in the works but even if they are released, they won't guarantee 100% protection from infection, outbreaks and transmission. The best hope for wiping out herpes seems to be DRACO, assuming it doesn't seriously harm human subjects when it gets to trials in 5-10 years.

2)Would it be smart to get the first vaccine that comes out? I say this because of the "what if" factor. Such as "what if something better comes out later?" Could having taken vaccine A cause Vaccine B to be less effective?

Complex question. No concrete answers. There could be diminishing returns from taking one vaccine before taking another. However, the vaccine that puts an end to herpes will likely have a completely different mechanism than the immune-stimulation that current vaccines go for. In that sense, the last vaccine - whatever it is - wouldn't be affected by taking other vaccines.

The bigger question would be: what are the health effects of taking all the other vaccines?

3)Do we really want a "pure cure" considering that it is almost impossible to not get it again and again with such high % global prevalence . Would it not be best to get a drug that makes us immune rather that have a drug that clears it from our system totally and leaves us open to get re-infected?

It depends what the cost is for taking the 'pure cure' - financially and on human health. I think some people would make a lot of money with the right product in this category. I also think that between such a product and the use of a very good vaccine, herpes infections would eventually disappear. Chances are that we will see products in both categories.

4)Are those that already have it screwed?? Do we need a pure cure to rid us first from the virus so we can then be vaccinated?

No, because taking the vaccine doesn't necessarily stop you from also taking the 'pure cure' whenever that appears and whatever that is. Also you may not need a 'pure cure' to not show any signs of viral activity.

worried2104

WK,

Thanks for the response. Lets hope that it comes about in our lifetime.

I am starting to think it may be part of evolution. With near 60% of the 7 billion people on this planet infected with HSV 1 and at least a billion+ with HSV 2 it might be a matter of time before we are all infected.

The question then becomes how this will change us as a species.

W

StayingUpbeat

Neither likely in our lifetime though one of the therapeutic vaccines might decrease symptoms significantly.

What we will likely see in our lifetime is an effective prophylactic vaccine.

2)Would it be smart to get the first vaccine that comes out?

Depends on your tolerance for risk.

Such as "what if something better comes out later?" Could having taken vaccine A cause Vaccine B to be less effective?

Impossible to know but functionally it probably doesn't matter.

See answer to 1, but even if every cell with HSV were eradicated from your body you would still retain an immune response likely sufficient to keep from contracting it again. Besides, if there's a cure, would it matter?

4)Are those that already have it screwed??

In what sense? HSV ≠ HIV and is not Cancer, MS, Chrons or a spinal cord injury. All of which often strike between 20 - 35, are equally incurable, and much, much, worse. I know it's tough but try to keep perspective.

Do we need a pure cure to rid us first from the virus so we can then be vaccinated?

See answer to 1 & 3

Keep in mind what "ridding yourself of the virus" means. Once virally infected there is really no practical way of un-infecting a cell, it must be killed. Killing even a few neurons leads to a condition known as peripheral neuropathy (think 10x podrome). It's a common, permanent, side effect of many cancer drugs.

HSV sucks but it is manageable and has no proven long term health consequences. You are anything but screwed. Life is a series of challenges but like the T-Shirt says: Life is good.

---

sonofagun

From the quality of responses in this forum, I don't think you will find an "expert" here to answer your questions in any sort of meaningful way. Assuredly, you will find better quality answers posing your questions to experts in the field, providing they have the time and inclination to answer you. From what I've read, in this forum, the best you can typically find is supposition from nameless people with nameless credentials and questionable scientific acumen. If wild speculation to satisfy your curiosity is what you're after, then this may be the place; however, I would take with it a grain of salt as the advice in this forum is usually not well seasoned.

In my opinion(who knows if I'm an expert), I'd wait for phase 2 test results of the Admedus clinical trial which should give you some solid information on how far and fast vaccinations are headed. Until then, I'm not even sure the experts can provide anything other than speculation. I myself am curious to find how the Admedus protocol affects CD8+ killer cells and ICP47, which helps camouflage the viral cells from killer T cells. ICP47 protein expresses itself well in herpes infected human cells but not so well in infected mouse cells. Apparently, that is one of the reasons the mice faired so well under the Admedus protocol.

From what I know (take that with a grain of salt), contrary to some experts in this forum, actual experts in the field feel that there will be a cure or at least a functional cure in our lifetime, if not the lifetime of your average healthy hamster(five years). Only time will tell.

Acesheart

We have no experts here to say if. We DO however have amazing Supporters, Lovely members who DO researching to keep us informed on current prospects for a one day possible cure, vaccines and trials. These community members give us hope, restore our faith in the Medical field of researchers.

We are a Support Forum, we offer OUR personal experiences and OUR actual experiences with outbreaks, vaccines and any trials we have participated in.

You won't find experts HERE, but I guarantee you will find support and educational information you can benefit from. Also members here do research, that gives me hope. Truly, Aces

Sufferingfriend

There's a very real, and very likely chance there will be a cure, functional or pure, in our lifetimes, in fact it may happen within the decade. Actually, most likely a pure cure as already been created in an MIT lab, that has been mentioned here before, DRACO. It will take a bit to get to us, but I don't think it will take as long as some people are assuming. Its all a question of funding and finance really.

We may not be the cutting edge experts, but we do know what they are saying. Most of them have some sort of journal.

The doctors making these medicines have addressed this so called problem that a cure would have to kill infected cells, potentially killing too many infected cells leading to neuropathy or other problems. Dr. Rider and his team called these people arm chair scientists that do not know what they are talking about. They have repeatedly said such fears are baseless and completely unscientific, and make zero scientific sense.

I am hopeful that these vacines will be effective, but DRACO will come out in our lifetime, I believe. It could be ready in a decade. And it will cure us, I am very confident. There are tons of scientists working on curing us, using the latest cutting edge technology. Some of these efforts like DRACO appear fool proof. There is every reason to be hopeful.

The man who created the HPV vaccine was able to do so, using new techniques and new technology. Now he thinks he can make an HSV vaccine and is doing so. This vaccine could be ready in 2-3 years. As each year goes by, the technology advances making it easier and easier for scientists to cure us. Theres every reason to be hopeful.

worried2104

Thanks to all that replied.

I made my donation to DRACO a few moths back.

Gothic Beauty

DRACO doesn't need too much more before they can use it as an Investigational New Drug (IND). They only need like $70,000 more to do that. That would most definitely open the door.

HopefulOne2013
DRACO doesn't need too much more before they can use it as an Investigational New Drug (IND). They only need like $70,000 more to do that. That would most definitely open the door.

I'm surprised a big donor hasn't stepped in for Draco yet. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gave Genocea 35 million. I would have much rather seen that money go to Draco but I can see why they gave Genocea money given the fact they are a startup company. Andrew Forrest, a billionaire investor is pumping money into Admedus. I guarantee he knows what's going on with that vaccine.

Gothic Beauty

That's a strong possibility. The Gates being as rich as they are can afford to find out about things before they become big things.

Tinderh2

I'd take a pure cure and then start looking for a wife. Literally if I could go back a year of my life with the knowledge I have now I'd be a good Christian boy . I know you'll probably mock me but I always heard why being adulterous was such a bad sin I never understood it, I mean how is banging out numerous chicks that are single bad? No harm if they're not married and no marriage was destroyed, now I'm hsv2 positive but I have other symptoms and Im really really scared it might be HIV

Acesheart
I'd take a pure cure and then start looking for a wife. Literally if I could go back a year of my life with the knowledge I have now I'd be a good Christian boy . I know you'll probably mock me but I always heard why being adulterous was such a bad sin I never understood it, I mean how is banging out numerous chicks that are single bad? No harm if they're not married and no marriage was destroyed, now I'm hsv2 positive but I have other symptoms and Im really really scared it might be HIV

Hey Tin, I was newlywed, 4 months, when my husband's cheating caught up to him. I know Viruses DO NOT SEE COLOUR, RACE, MARRITAL STATUS OR FINANCIAL SITUATIONS. Honey my point, God made us human and the abilities to make our own mistakes, he died for us. Truly. Aces xx

Sufferingfriend

Go get tested, it's almost surely not HIV. I went through the exact same thing. I got mundo sick for ages, so so so rundown all the time for months on end. I had chills all day one time, it was hardcore chills too. I was CONVINCED I had HIV. The thing is HSV can make you extremely sick. Thankfully, I did not have HIV, and you probably do not either.

This has nothing to do with god or religon. In my case, I did not use protection that one time I shoulda. I always do, but that one time I did not and paid for it.

A cure is coming, but unfortunately not soon. I really hope the vaccinations pan out and are functional cures, but I kinda think DRACO is the only thing that is going to cure us. Still baffles me how they can not test this when approximately 2000 people die from AIDS complications everyday. Pretty sure those people would cry with joy at the prospect of trying a cure.

The guy who made DRACO is a genius and may very well win a Noble Peace prize, may become a mega celeb, but he also seems cold, clinical and dispassionate. Some of these guys like Halford feel our pain, but the DRACO dude is content to toil away, he intellectually gets it, but I don't think he does emotionally. He's really not pressing the case like the rest. On his blog he even mentioned how work would continue after his month long vacation and his team returns from holidays, while of course he has the right to do this, it shows an incredible insensitivity, like perhaps don't mention this? LoL.

If he had some savvy and natural marketing skills I think it would be going much much much faster. Can't blame him for being like this, it's just who he is. But its why we need to keep hammering the same point over and over.

RedRoad

I don't get my hopes up. It's all about the money, and a constant treatment makes more money than any cure ever would.

Tinderh2
Go get tested, it's almost surely not HIV. I went through the exact same thing. I got mundo sick for ages, so so so rundown all the time for months on end. I had chills all day one time, it was hardcore chills too. I was CONVINCED I had HIV. The thing is HSV can make you extremely sick. Thankfully, I did not have HIV, and you probably do not either.

This has nothing to do with god or religon. In my case, I did not use protection that one time I shoulda. I always do, but that one time I did not and paid for it.

A cure is coming, but unfortunately not soon. I really hope the vaccinations pan out and are functional cures, but I kinda think DRACO is the only thing that is going to cure us. Still baffles me how they can not test this when approximately 2000 people die from AIDS complications everyday. Pretty sure those people would cry with joy at the prospect of trying a cure.

The guy who made DRACO is a genius and may very well win a Noble Peace prize, may become a mega celeb, but he also seems cold, clinical and dispassionate. Some of these guys like Halford feel our pain, but the DRACO dude is content to toil away, he intellectually gets it, but I don't think he does emotionally. He's really not pressing the case like the rest. On his blog he even mentioned how work would continue after his month long vacation and his team returns from holidays, while of course he has the right to do this, it shows an incredible insensitivity, like perhaps don't mention this? LoL.

If he had some savvy and natural marketing skills I think it would be going much much much faster. Can't blame him for being like this, it's just who he is. But its why we need to keep hammering the same point over and over.

The guy that made Draco and if it does cure us will be a celeb? (Jokingly) man I'd suck his dick hahah. No but yeah Draco I hope is the answer. Hey when you're in a lab and working tirelessly but your work is going unnoticed (lack of funding) then why would you be in a hurry to keep working if you cannot get into investigational new drug stage? Besides, his team is most likely doing all the grunt work for him anyways. Source: worked in a lab at my university.

worried2104

One thing that makes me hope for a cure is that there are so many young posters on this site. I honestly wish that these kids could have a chance at having a normal life. One US war plane cost more than what is needed to get a potential drug to help us to market.

I know that there are far worse things such as HIV or Cancer. Its just crazy that we can put a man on the moon and can make an atomic bomb but we cant beat a virus.

Dezgusted

Looking for a wife is how I got here. I use to just hookup with girls I knew or would meet running around the country (USA), as I drive for a living. I was about to except that I might just not be meant for married life and just live date to date (nobody is guaranteed a mate for life anyway). Then I met a girl on the internet and broke all my rules (I would focus on sex first then go from there). We talked and hung out for about a mouth & 1/2 before she started pressing me for sex. I was hesitant (being in this new get to know you first mind set),but I gave in. Feeling I could trust someone I thought I knew I didn't use protection. And now I'm here.

So know being a "good boy" doesn't guarantee a dam thing. Everyday I wish I could go back.

Tinderh2
They guy that made Draco and if it does cure us will be a celeb? (Jokingly) man I'd suck his dick hahah. No but yeah Draco I hope is the answer. Hey when you're in a lab and working tirelessly but your work is going unnoticed (lack of funding) then why would you be in a hurry to keep working if you cannot get into investigational new drug stage? Besides, his team is most likely doing all the grunt work for him anyways. Source: worked in a lab at my university.

Looking for a wife is how I got here. I use to just hookup with girls I knew or would meet running around the country (USA), as I drive for a living. I was about to except that I might just not be meant for married life and just live date to date (nobody is guaranteed a mate for life anyway). Then I met a girl on the internet and broke all my rules (I would focus on sex first then go from there). We talked and hung out for about a mouth & 1/2 before she started pressing me for sex. I was hesitant (being in this new get to know you first mind set),but I gave in. Feeling I could trust someone I thought I knew I didn't use protection. And now I'm here.

So know being a "good boy" doesn't guarantee a dam thing. Everyday I wish I could go back.

Well is that your wife that didn't disclose this? I know before this last 6 months of my life i didn't have any issues with STDS whatsoever and the girls i had sex with (very limited 4, which were all hot GFs) were all honest and clean. Then i moved out to florida and started pharmacy school and just went all crazy coping with stresses and just wanting to get out. So my number grew from 4 to somewhere near 30 and now i'm not sure if i have HIV or not.... Waiting on blood results but pos on HSV2 though.

Acesheart

Ummm, [uSER=58844]@Tinderh2[/uSER] , I am one sexy Spanish women, wife and mother, Btw I am also one of the Cleanest women, as are all the females and males HERE, who just happens to have Herpes Simplex Virus.

We do not say someone was NOT clean, but rather they were Not Clear.

Being told ppl with hsv are dirty is playing into the stigma!

I had ONLY 2 partners ever, THAT 2nd guy whom I married, he gave me herpes.

Sorry but this word usage (clean as opposed to clear) makes me so sick to hear educated people like yourself use this phrase. :sickgreenface:

Truly, Aces xo

Nole

I agree Acesheart. Someone referring to another as "clean" because they don't have HSV is offensive, insulting and absolutely cringeworthy!!! UGH!!!

Acesheart
I agree Acesheart. Someone referring to another as "clean" because they don't have HSV is offensive, insulting and absolutely cringeworthy!!! UGH!!!

:tee: hugs Aces xo