World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
beanthere

Cold sores with baby

beanthere

Hi all,

(I'm using the app, and hope this works... I'm new here and slightly confused)

I have a 6 month old and have had 2 outbreaks since his birth. My husband and i have suffered from cold sores for years, and obviously fear that our son may get it.

I knew that when i got pregnant i would have fears and worries. I never even imagined i would be physically ill at the thought of him getting this.

Hence, why I'm here.

VVK

Welcome beanthere! The good news is that if you are careful, then it will be very unlikely for you and your husband to pass the cold sores on to your son. The risks are greatest when you have sores present, so by minimizing your outbreaks and their duration, you will minimize the risks. There are lots of resources on this website regarding nutrition to keep the virus inactive and reactive steps to take when dealing with outbreaks. I encourage you to take a look and talk to our users and staff members on chat.

beanthere

Thanks for the response, VVK.

My main concern is the shedding. How likely is it to transfer that way?

And when i have an outbreak, how long does it stay active on clothing? I'm so paranoid, that even if my mouth MAY have touched my shirt, i change.

Acesheart
Thanks for the response, VVK.

My main concern is the shedding. How likely is it to transfer that way?

And when i have an outbreak, how long does it stay active on clothing? I'm so paranoid, that even if my mouth MAY have touched my shirt, i change.

Herpes cannot live or survive on material objects or clothing, try to stay calm sweety.Shedding occurs 10 or 12% a Year, so just using soap when washing hands and general hygiene should keep you from spreading it.

Several female Moderators here have h1 and babies, they have been mothers for long time, I'm mom but I have Ghsv 2, they've never transferred their herpes to their children. Hugs Aces xo

bob12

I doubt you have much worry with it active on your clothing, it won't last long there. Touching your cold sore (even inadvertantly) and then changing a diaper or putting diaper cream on is a potential recipe for badness though, so just wash your hands. I worried more about kissing a baby on the face, but you can't have that worry. In the past they used to say most kids were HSV1+ by their first year of life. 60-80% of the US population is HSV1+, only a select few of those are unlucky enough to see regular cold sores, most don't even know what it is.

KiaOra

Hi there, I get bad and frequent cold sores as well and I understand how passing the virus along to your kids can be such a huge source of anxiety. I have three kids, the oldest who is 7.5 now and despite having sores often in their infancy and beyond I have managed not to infect them. I have always been very careful about both hand washing and not touching sores when present. I also abstain from kissing them. Though my sores are never on my lips, they are on my chin or jawline, but I still abstained. Good luck to you. Trust your judgement and try not to worry (easier said than done, I know).

KiaOra

Oh just wanted to clarify that I only abstain from kissing them when sores are present. In the absence of sores, I kiss them all the time!

Acesheart
Oh just wanted to clarify that I only abstain from kissing them when sores are present. In the absence of sores, I kiss them all the time!

Yes, it's great too right ;)

beanthere

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support!

I've been looking at this site for treatments and ways to help with outbreaks. Lots of great info!

I'm very glad i finally found a support, like this.

So grateful.

Acesheart
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support!

I've been looking at this site for treatments and ways to help with outbreaks. Lots of great info!

I'm very glad i finally found a support, like this.

So grateful.

So am I sweety :itllbeok: welcome my sister hugs Aces xo