World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
jenn007007

I have a bad herpetic whitlow

jenn007007

I do Heath care for 10 years now and have never had herpes before other than two years ago when it first appeared on my finger. At that time doctors did not know what it was and lanced it open and sent me to many doctors to find out what it is. This time it is much worse and can not work because of it and will take months to heal if it does all the way. I work for a big hospital for 7 years and have all kids of insurance but I am afraid I will not be able to do my line of work ever again. And it states stress makes more out breaks and if so my anxiety disorder and depression could trigger this all the time now. Just really not sure where to turn for my legal rights are.

JBnATL

The herpes virus does not thrive except in warm moist areas, and that is not your fingers, so I doubt that it will take months to heal. Are you taking antivirals? That too should also help shorten your outbreak.

Don't you already wear gloves at work? That would be sufficient protection for you from spreading it to you patients since it takes skin to skin contact to pass this virus to others.

Consult a lawyer, one who specializes in medical cases, to find out what your options are. It shouldn't cost you anything, other than time, to get a legal opinion.

Good luck!

JB

jenn007007
The herpes virus does not thrive except in warm moist areas, and that is not your fingers, so I doubt that it will take months to heal. Are you taking antivirals? That too should also help shorten your outbreak.

Don't you already wear gloves at work? That would be sufficient protection for you from spreading it to you patients since it takes skin to skin contact to pass this virus to others.

Consult a lawyer, one who specializes in medical cases, to find out what your options are. It shouldn't cost you anything, other than time, to get a legal opinion.

Good luck!

JB

Yes very true but when you go into patients homes and in their bathrooms to give baths and do personal care. Gloves do get wet on inside and other factors like thevirus can say alive for 5 hours on items. And all it takes is a cut in the skin of my hand. And if this large blister the size of a nickel on my finger bust I could affect a lot of pople. I am a law suit waiting to happen.

Acesheart
Yes very true but when you go into patients homes and in their bathrooms to give baths and do personal care. Gloves do get wet on inside and other factors like thevirus can say alive for 5 hours on items. And all it takes is a cut in the skin of my hand. And if this large blister the size of a nickel on my finger bust I could affect a lot of pople. I am a law suit waiting to happen.

Hey jenn, who told you the virus stays alive for 5 yrs on wet glove? Also I volunteer in children's hospital, the gloves we use have wrist gathers, like snugging fit, you can use those. I used them for my father in law when he was taking radiation therapy and chemotherapy, the doctor's knew I was primarily care giver and handled his urine which they said would be harmful if it got on my skin, I helped him use the bathroom several times a day. We actually called them cancer gloves, nothing gets through those suckers. Lol.

There is no evidence that this virus can or does live airborne. Or for that matter live on wet gloves. I think JBnAtl was correct is saying find a lawyer, I'd also consult a good infectious disease doctor, I have seen several and the consensus is what you think about how herpes survives is so not accurate.

jenn007007

No you miss understood me it does not live in wet gloves but if water gets in your gloves. If the water that gets in your gloves if it is contaminated from running over the open sore. I just don't understand how I could have gotten this. I never had herpies in any form and to just get it on my finger is kinda strange to me. I use gloves all the time and when I should. Is what I read that if someone just brushed there teeth that had a open cold sore, and I touched it with a open cut then I could get a herpetic whitlow?

Acesheart
No you miss understood me it does not live in wet gloves but if water gets in your gloves. If the water that gets in your gloves if it is contaminated from running over the open sore. I just don't understand how I could have gotten this. I never had herpies in any form and to just get it on my finger is kinda strange to me. I use gloves all the time and when I should. Is what I read that if someone just brushed there teeth that had a open cold sore, and I touched it with a open cut then I could get a herpetic whitlow?

There is no such Proof that this virus can transfer this way.

My FIL had obvious open sores all over the mouth lip area (it's how Dr diagnosed his h1) 73 yrs old and just NOW learning of his h1 status, we kissed his face, he kissed children's little hands, faces and toes, Still no-one ever caught it. I had h2 antibodies to protect me, but the rest of his family had none.

I have Never seen any proof that the virus transfers this way or that easily.

Also to my knowledge herpes Cannot and Doesn't live in water. Whitlow doesn't transfer that easily.

How we're you diagnosed with this Whitlow? Like what TEST was done and what was the numerical value? What does the hard paper read? More information about your story may help us to help you.

jenn007007

Two years ago this time I appeared with several itchy painful bumps that grew at a fast rate. I went to my family doctor about 3 or four days after it first appeared. The doctors where unaware of what it was they put me on a antibiotic and lanced it open to get culture of it. After testing they still had no clue they sent to adermatologist they took one look at it and told me what it was and put me on some anti viral meds to take to stop the flair up. I haven't been on any other meds in the last two years and now I have been off work for over two weeks now because the severity of this one. I just need to know where to turn for true Facts on it.

Acesheart
Two years ago this time I appeared with several itchy painful bumps that grew at a fast rate. I went to my family doctor about 3 or four days after it first appeared. The doctors where unaware of what it was they put me on a antibiotic and lanced it open to get culture of it. After testing they still had no clue they sent to adermatologist they took one look at it and told me what it was and put me on some anti viral meds to take to stop the flair up. I haven't been on any other meds in the last two years and now I have been off work for over two weeks now because the severity of this one. I just need to know where to turn for true Facts on it.

Infectious disease doctor, or immunology doctor.