World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
worried2104

Only chance live vac

worried2104

So I am reading Wiki and i stumbled on this- "A live, attenuated vaccine (which was proven very effective in clinical trials in Mexico) by the company AuRx has failed to proceed to a Phase III trial in the year 2006, due to financial reasons. The AuRx therapy was shown to be safe and decrease the occurrence of lesions by 86% after one year. [29] The fact that a live, attenuated vaccine induced better protection from HSV infection and symptoms is not new, because live-attenuated vaccines account for the most of the successful vaccines in the use until today. Sadly, it was not enough to motivate financial support by governmental or corporate bodies, which strongly support the more recent but less effective approaches as Glycoprotein or DNA based vaccines."

I think Halford and Knipe are the best chance. 86% reduction seems like it would have helped a ton of people. Does somebody know more about it?

worried2104
It's a dead-horse vaccine. Lock thread.

Was just making the point that it seems that this IS the way to go.

Sufferingfriend
Was just making the point that it seems that this IS the way to go.

Agree with you 100%

This was in 2006? A vaccine that made it all the way to phase III and had a reduction of 86%? A decade later the vaccines are causing a reduction of less than 50% like Genoca and we are meant to be super excited.

I dunno. Ppl are excited about Amadeus. I am too, but not that much.

Every single sub unit vaccine has been a failure, and the new ones at best, in a great case scenario, will do the job of anti virals, which actually would be very welcome. But none of these new vaccines comes close to being a significant upgrade to anti virals.

Live vaccine is obviously the way to go. Hell, a decade ago it was proven, as the OP shows. Halford is right. But they'll keep on making sub par sub unit ones. Too much money for big pharma to lose on an effective vaccine or on effective meds like AIC 316.

Sufferingfriend
So I am reading Wiki and i stumbled on this- "A live, attenuated vaccine (which was proven very effective in clinical trials in Mexico) by the company AuRx has failed to proceed to a Phase III trial in the year 2006, due to financial reasons. The AuRx therapy was shown to be safe and decrease the occurrence of lesions by 86% after one year. [29] The fact that a live, attenuated vaccine induced better protection from HSV infection and symptoms is not new, because live-attenuated vaccines account for the most of the successful vaccines in the use until today. Sadly, it was not enough to motivate financial support by governmental or corporate bodies, which strongly support the more recent but less effective approaches as Glycoprotein or DNA based vaccines."

I think Halford and Knipe are the best chance. 86% reduction seems like it would have helped a ton of people. Does somebody know more about it?

Don't know much about Knipe, but Halford is the only hope, and even that will happen in god knows when. Maybe a decade or two.

Sad thing is this canceled vaccine would've probably stopped me from ever contracting the HSV virus. This is most assuredly a preventative vaccine if it can reduce shedding by 85%. The FDA and big Pharma are cold blooded assholes.

It's quite obvious a live accentuated HSV vaccine could be close to functional cure for us, but it will never be made, because there is too much money in their shitty anti virals. As a cure, every single one of these sub unit vaccines is a JOKE. Amadeus is not curing anyone, if I am wrong can some provide a quote where they have cured a human?

Frankly, think of the uphill battle any of these vaccines will ever have. If they are not more effective than anti virals, they will never ever even be made.

None of these sub unit vaccines are ever going to even be made for public consumption. Lets say they reduce transmission or shedding by 60%. Great. That could really help. But whats the point if it will just be abandoned?

We should be directing our resources to Halford. Not to sub unit vaccines that will never come out.

worried2104

I agree. They need to figure out two things the way I see it. A test that gives us a true result and the vaccine. Funny thing is it seems like they could have this vaccine ready real fast yet refuse to fund it.

VVK

I suppose if we're going to go down the conspiracy theory aisle, you can't leave out the possibility that in a profit-driven world, a less effective vaccine that has to be administered on an annual or biennial basis would be more desirable than one that actually works for many years.

burdentobear

Halford explains the lack of support for his vaccine on his blog very clearly. Basically, the scientific community and the government are risk adverse, and there is a misconception that live vaccines are unsafe.

caliprep
I suppose if we're going to go down the conspiracy theory aisle, you can't leave out the possibility that in a profit-driven world, a less effective vaccine that has to be administered on an annual or biennial basis would be more desirable than one that actually works for many years.

Definitely, many researchers agree that the FDA and profit driven companies are making it impossible for new medical discoveries from breaking through. This problem could have been solved more than a decade ago, we have the technology and understanding of the virus.

It's quite sad...

Juggalo

Only way to help is to donate and stop whining, message me for details.

HopefulOne2013

What about HSV-529? It's a live vaccine that's actually in clinical trials? Obviously a live vaccine is ideal for the uninfected. People tend to get emotional about Halford, which is understandable. But, how is a live vaccine going to benefit us? We will still have the virus. I highly doubt Hanford's vaccine or even HSV-529 will work as a good therapeutic vaccine.

hsv1owner
What about HSV-529? It's a live vaccine that's actually in clinical trials? Obviously a live vaccine is ideal for the uninfected. People tend to get emotional about Halford, which is understandable. But, how is a live vaccine going to benefit us? We will still have the virus. I highly doubt Hanford's vaccine or even HSV-529 will work as a good therapeutic vaccine.

While it's true that a prophylactic only vaccine will not help our symptoms there is one thing a successful one will do: make other people immune to HSV. The primary problem here is not that you get symptoms sometimes, as bad as they may be, it's still the social stigmas surrounding it. Herpes is an odd situation. In any rational world it wouldn't be a huge deal. But thanks to some marketing in the 70s that's been carried through to now by social media herpes IS a big issue.

Remove the possibility of getting infected for a seronegative partner from the equation and you suddenly reduce a lot of suffering. Met someone you like who doesn't have or want herpes? They can go get the vaccine, problem solved.

AychEsVee

Agreed, and while enough users on here make me think herpes is a bigger deal physically than people give it credit it for, they're experience an even greater deal of pain that comes from the feelings of loneliness and isolation.

It's been highlighted a few times but I think the TKO is going to be a pre-exposure vaccinations and better antivirals (or possibly, an agnostic vaccine that supplements already-existing antivirals for the infected)

HopefulOne2013
While it's true that a prophylactic only vaccine will not help our symptoms there is one thing a successful one will do: make other people immune to HSV. The primary problem here is not that you get symptoms sometimes, as bad as they may be, it's still the social stigmas surrounding it. Herpes is an odd situation. In any rational world it wouldn't be a huge deal. But thanks to some marketing in the 70s that's been carried through to now by social media herpes IS a big issue.

Remove the possibility of getting infected for a seronegative partner from the equation and you suddenly reduce a lot of suffering. Met someone you like who doesn't have or want herpes? They can go get the vaccine, problem solved.

I agree. The point I was making is that people tend to think that Halford is the only person working on a live vaccine. HSV-529 has shown great preclinical results and it's a live vaccine in clinical trials. By the time Halford gets around to a clinical trial HSV-529 will be released. That is if it's successful of course. The Albert Einstein live vaccine looks pretty awesome as well.

HopefulOne2013
Agreed, and while enough users on here make me think herpes is a bigger deal physically than people give it credit it for, they're experience an even greater deal of pain that comes from the feelings of loneliness and isolation.

It's been highlighted a few times but I think the TKO is going to be a pre-exposure vaccinations and better antivirals (or possibly, an agnostic vaccine that supplements already-existing antivirals for the infected)

The live vaccine will be the best approach for the uninfected. We still need a good therapeutic vaccine. That's where Frazer comes in.

Kurdt01
The live vaccine will be the best approach for the uninfected. We still need a good therapeutic vaccine. That's where Frazer comes in.

I don't know, Halford has at least a pretty strong hunch that his vaccine could help us already infected tremendously...potentially a functional cure. So maybe the same goes for the 529 Knipe one as well. That is assuming that the reason some of us suffer chronically is related to our immune response, if it is, maybe these live vaccines will help us....WE NEED SOMETHING. If I had a normal or 'classic case' I probably wouldn't even be on these boards...

HopefulOne2013
I don't know, Halford has at least a pretty strong hunch that his vaccine could help us already infected tremendously...potentially a functional cure. So maybe the same goes for the 529 Knipe one as well. That is assuming that the reason some of us suffer chronically is related to our immune response, if it is, maybe these live vaccines will help us....WE NEED SOMETHING. If I had a normal or 'classic case' I probably wouldn't even be on these boards...

We definitely need something that's for sure. I try and look at it from different angles though. It's not like donors are lined up to support Halford. I'll remain skeptical until he receives funding. We all want him to succeed but we should be pulling for all of the researchers. Especially the ones who are receiving funding.

dont quit!

ACAM 529 with an adjuvant sounds really good! The antibody response created by the whole virus is something to look forward to. The subunit approach won't have that type of antibody response. I'm super curious to see what ACAM results will be in late 2016 early 2017! I'm pulling for Frazier as well!

dont quit!

Thank you for your mail.

The AuRx vaccine is the only one that has therapeutic activity (prevents recurrent disease) and has successfully passed Phase I/II trials. It is a whole virus vaccine and it eliminates recurrent disease in 70% of patients and reduces the frequency of the recurrences in the others, based on 1.5-2 years follow-up. Unfortunately it has been shelved. The drug companies have the funds. Academics don't. The drug companies claimed that they were not interested in a whole virus vaccine because they are afraid that it may revert to infectivity. Of course, most successful vaccines are whole virus vaccines and in the case of the AuRx vaccine it is even more inane because the patients to be vaccinated already have HSV infection. Still, these are the facts and nothing has moved since then.

I assume that at least in part the timing was bad because they were still hoping to have a subunit vaccine, which they made (GSK) so they were likely to make more money. It since that time failed, as I predicted it would. The 10 million that you quote for a phase 3 is approximately correct. Am I pursuing things? I am getting old and I have no money. Is it dead? Who knows? Maybe it will be resurrected.

Good luck

Dr. A.

-80% of patients

here is an E-Mail, I had previously received from Dr. Aurelian. The person who made Aurx vaccination. With the stopping of recurrent disease in 70% of patients; one should feel encouraged about Knipe's whole virus with an adjuvant which I believed Aurx didn't have. It's a shame, it wasn't picked up back in 2006 because many of us would have had the sense to vaccinate ourselves.