World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
KiaOra

What dose of valacyclovir/valtrex?

KiaOra

Hi - I'm back here after a long time and need some advice.

Quick back story: I've had recurrent facial herpes for about 22 years now and tried different methods to get the OBs under control. From 2011-2013 I tried suppressive acyclovir, then suppressive famcyclovir, neither or which gave me a significant reduction in OBs. Then in September 2013 my doctor put me on 1000mg daily suppressive dose of valacyclovir. Bam! That did the trick. I had only two minor OBs in 17 months! But a couple of weeks ago my doctor moved and I had to get a new one who questioned the 1000mg dose and asked me to try 500mg a day instead. So I did, and within just 10 days of switching I got an OB. Needless to say I'm going to ask him to go back on 1000mg per day since it worked so well and therefore significantly improved the quality of my life. (I am under a lot of stress as I have three young kids and currently going through a divorce.)

My question: How safe (or not) is 1000mg valacyclovir daily? The only reason my doctor switched me to the lower dose is because (he said) there have been no studies on this dosage. All the studies have been on the 500mg dosage (showing it is safe).

I know there are some on here who have had experience with daily Valtrex or valacyclovir. Acesheart are you out there??

Acesheart
Hi - I'm back here after a long time and need some advice.

Quick back story: I've had recurrent facial herpes for about 22 years now and tried different methods to get the OBs under control. From 2011-2013 I tried suppressive acyclovir, then suppressive famcyclovir, neither or which gave me a significant reduction in OBs. Then in September 2013 my doctor put me on 1000mg daily suppressive dose of valacyclovir. Bam! That did the trick. I had only two minor OBs in 17 months! But a couple of weeks ago my doctor moved and I had to get a new one who questioned the 1000mg dose and asked me to try 500mg a day instead. So I did, and within just 10 days of switching I got an OB. Needless to say I'm going to ask him to go back on 1000mg per day since it worked so well and therefore significantly improved the quality of my life. (I am under a lot of stress as I have three young kids and currently going through a divorce.)

My question: How safe (or not) is 1000mg valacyclovir daily? The only reason my doctor switched me to the lower dose is because (he said) there have been no studies on this dosage. All the studies have been on the 500mg dosage (showing it is safe).

I know there are some on here who have had experience with daily Valtrex or valacyclovir. Acesheart are you out there??

I'm here sweety. :itsme: I was originally prescribed 1000mg of Valtrex, took it for yrs at that dosage, but to make my medications last longer I used just 500mg a day. We switched doctor's so I told them I 100mg as originally ordered by old doctor, but just used one pill a day unless I was having prodrome symptoms (itches, or odd burn in tail bone area) , then I immediately started 2/pills of 500mg a day usually for few weeks.

We finally found a Neurologist I just :love: he did ultrasound imaging and found my cause of this issue in tail bone. :luv2u: Aces xo

HappyNinja

I currently take 1 gram (1000mg) a day. Its what I read is customary for suppressive. I asked for it from Dertm and he prescribed it right away. It's not exactly keeping me OB free either. Although this is my initial OB (2 months now of one small OB after another) so maybe thats why. I dunno. Glad to hear it seems to work for you. Gives me hope. I think I just started breaking out on my face too :/

Id suggest you do a little research online and bring that with you if you feel he may deny your request. Make sure its a peer reviewed paper and not just some writer reiterating what he was told/read.

Good luck!

Acesheart

Oh in answer to your questions, No harmful damages from this dose.

Plus mine was doctors approved, and I take and took Yearly BLOOD test for organ health.. I am organ donor and blood donor as well :)

KiaOra

Thank you Acesheart and Happy Ninja. I'm just feeling kind of angry because I had a good thing going with the 1000g dose and then this new doctor swooped in and took it away. I think he will be open to changing it back. In fact, I have just left him a message.

Acesheart: Did your yearly blood tests look at kidney functions? Liver functions? Anything else?

Acesheart
Thank you Acesheart and Happy Ninja. I'm just feeling kind of angry because I had a good thing going with the 1000g dose and then this new doctor swooped in and took it away. I think he will be open to changing it back. In fact, I have just left him a message.

Acesheart: Did your yearly blood tests look at kidney functions? Liver functions? Anything else?

Oh yes , that was my doctor Main reasoning behind these BLOOD test being included, I have copies and copies of mist All my test. I wanted to keep everything healthy and make sure my organs were donated if one-day I died I want to pay it forward. I've told every doctor , now it's 22 , that I wanted this done every year, if they refused I find new doctor. But when you have really good insurance they can't wait to do it and make that Money.. Lol.

KiaOra

Thank you Acesheart. I heard back from my doctor and he is fine with me going back up to 1000mg. Believe me, it's the last thing I want to do to take such heavy meds, but for better or for worse it makes a huge difference in my quality of life, and that's worth something. I think I might also try taking B12. I've heard you (and others) talk about it quite a bit. Sounds like it couldn't hurt.

Acesheart
Thank you Acesheart. I heard back from my doctor and he is fine with me going back up to 1000mg. Believe me, it's the last thing I want to do to take such heavy meds, but for better or for worse it makes a huge difference in my quality of life, and that's worth something. I think I might also try taking B12. I've heard you (and others) talk about it quite a bit. Sounds like it couldn't hurt.

Hey Kia good choice on B12 , also my doctor recommended D-vitamin, being more women are tested and show they could use more, mine is 400mg. Cannot hurt since we get the sun and the sun releases vit.D into our bodies, Great for immune support :) .