World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
HelpPlease321

IGG False Negative probability?

HelpPlease321

Hi everyone, I'd just like to ask about the chances of getting a false negative IgG result for both HSV 1 and 2.

For a quick background, I'm male, 18 year of age, had sexual encounters before (mostly oral only).

I NEVER had symptoms of HSV, no sores, no swelling, no inflammation, nothing at all. I actually have no reason to get tested, but ever since knowing about the virus, and because of my previous sexual encounters, I knew that the possibility was there, and that the only way to find out was to get tested.

Last December I was finally able to get tested (IgG type specific) for both HSV 1 and 2, and both came back negative. The values are as follows:

Herpes (HSV) IgG1 - 0.215

Herpes (HSV) IgG2 - 0.061

Both are nonreactive, with a reference value of 1.00

Are these results reliable? The IgG2 test is also labeled as ELISA, while IgG1 doesn't have any. I'm not sure if it was just left out, but are my results reliable enough?

I'm aware that testing too soon can give you false negative results, but the last sexual encounter I had before getting tested was YEARS before.

The reason why I am asking about this is because I read, and someone told me too that only a few brands of IgG type specific tests are accurate and reliable, and I don't know which one was administered to me at the hospital, but at least I know it's an IgG type specific test. I will, however, try to ask which was it.

I am also entering into a relationship, that's why I wanna know first for sure.

Again, I never had symptoms of herpes, I'm just worried that's why I went to get tested. Are my results reliable? There's no way for me to get a western blot test so I have to stick with these results.

Thanks!

Acesheart
Hi everyone, I'd just like to ask about the chances of getting a false negative IgG result for both HSV 1 and 2.

For a quick background, I'm male, 18 year of age, had sexual encounters before (mostly oral only).

I NEVER had symptoms of HSV, no sores, no swelling, no inflammation, nothing at all. I actually have no reason to get tested, but ever since knowing about the virus, and because of my previous sexual encounters, I knew that the possibility was there, and that the only way to find out was to get tested.

Last December I was finally able to get tested (IgG type specific) for both HSV 1 and 2, and both came back negative. The values are as follows:

Are these results reliable? The IgG2 test is also labeled as ELISA, while IgG1 doesn't have any. I'm not sure if it was just left out, but are my results reliable enough?

I'm aware that testing too soon can give you false negative results, but the last sexual encounter I had before getting tested was YEARS before.

The reason why I am asking about this is because I read, and someone told me too that only a few brands of IgG type specific tests are accurate and reliable, and I don't know which one was administered to me at the hospital, but at least I know it's an IgG type specific test. I will, however, try to ask which was it.

Again, I never had symptoms of herpes, I'm just worried that's why I went to get tested. Are my results reliable? There's no way for me to get a western blot test so I have to stick with these results.

Thanks!

Hey HP, this HERPESELECT Elisa BLOOD test IGG is very accurate. I'd say it's pretty conclusive, you are Negative for both.

HelpPlease321

Thanks Acesheart! However, like I mentioned, I'm not sure if it was indeed a HERPESELECT igg test, because to my knowledge, there are a lot of different brands of IgG tests right? How can I tell if this particular one was a herpeselect Elisa blood test?

Acesheart
Thanks Acesheart! However, like I mentioned, I'm not sure if it was indeed a HERPESELECT igg test, because to my knowledge, there are a lot of different brands of IgG tests right? How can I tell if this particular one was a herpeselect Elisa blood test?

I'm not understanding, you said it says Elisa correct? Then yes it is a accurate testing for blood.

Acesheart

Thanks!

You spell out Elisa.

HelpPlease321
I'm not understanding, you said it says Elisa correct? Then yes it is a accurate testing for blood.

Yes it says elisa, but it doesn't mention herpeselect or any other brand anywhere. And for some reason it only says elisa on hsv2. I'm assuming hsv1 was also an elisa blood test?

Acesheart
Yes it says elisa, but it doesn't mention herpeselect or any other brand anywhere. And for some reason it only says elisa on hsv2. I'm assuming hsv1 was also an elisa blood test?

It was testing for both h1 and h2 at the same time with same tube blood, then yes I'd say do.

HelpPlease321
It was testing for both h1 and h2 at the same time with same tube blood, then yes I'd say do.

I do hope that was the case. I remember when I got tested, they were asking me which type ( 1 or 2 ) would I like to test for, which I said both. That's why I'm wondering if they separate tests for each type with only one tube of my blood sample. Is that possible?

Or could it be possible that they are really testing for both, but are just charging me more if I wanted to know the results about both types?

Either way, the results look like they are a reliable blood test right? Since its IgG type specific too.

Thanks!

Acesheart
I do hope that was the case. I remember when I got tested, they were asking me which type ( 1 or 2 ) would I like to test for, which I said both. That's why I'm wondering if they separate tests for each type with only one tube of my blood sample. Is that possible?

Or could it be possible that they are really testing for both, but are just charging me more if I wanted to know the results about both types?

Either way, the results look like they are a reliable blood test right? Since its IgG type specific too.

Thanks!

No, not to my knowledge would they test separate with one tube. Did you have insurance, well usually, we pay copay and insurance pays the rest. I cannot see them trying to charge more for this test.Yes I'd say reliable.

burdentobear

ELISA refers to testing procedure used to determine anti-body reactivity to specific antigens (in this case, HSV-1 and 2). The testing procedure is the same regardless of which company conducted the test. ELISA testing is very accurate, and if you tested negative years after possible exposure, there is absolutely no reason to doubt the results. You do not have herpes and are needlessly worrying, young man.

Acesheart
ELISA refers to testing procedure used to determine anti-body reactivity to specific antigens (in this case, HSV-1 and 2). The testing procedure is the same regardless of which company conducted the test. ELISA testing is very accurate, and if you tested negative years after possible exposure, there is absolutely no reason to doubt the results. You do not have herpes and are needlessly worrying, young man.

Thank you bear. Truly Aces xo

HelpPlease321

Thank you for your insightful response! Acesheart too.

The reason I'm asking is because only hsv2 was labeled as ELISA on my test results, but both tests are igg type specific. Is it safe to assume that hsv1 was an ELISA test as well?

Acesheart
Thank you for your insightful response! Acesheart too.

The reason I'm asking is because only hsv2 was labeled as ELISA on my test results, but both tests are igg type specific. Is it safe to assume that hsv1 was an ELISA test as well?

Oh honey, Yes. Your fine okay. Aces xo

HelpPlease321

I have a few more questions though. My friend who I'm having a sexual relationship with does have a year old baby in their house, and she often kisses the baby in the lips while playing with her. While I do understand that the baby is the one that is at risk here, what are the chances of her catching HSV1 from the baby through those kisses, is it risky or not? Am I just being paranoid or do I have a point?

I also remember something about my lips. I do know that my results are reliable and negative, however I remember I used to get tingling and itchy lips occasionally. This would last for a few minutes, and then go away completely. Sometimes when I check the mirror I see a tiny red dot when this happens. The last time this happened was about 5 year ago already though. What could it have been? Could it have been a simple irritation caused by simple trauma (biting the lip makes it worse) or a simple food allergy? Thanks!

Acesheart

You are reading or looking, but your not comprehending the information.

Paranoia, yes ...Please ask her test, or stop this madness!! Please go to the top of this thread, reread All ur questions, reread All my information. Then see if you can pick out the paranoia? I just do not know how else to tell you, over and over, ask her to TEST. You are Negative. Take care honey