World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
justanothersufferer

No symptoms but spots. Confirmed HSV-2

justanothersufferer

So I've had hsv2 since December, swab test confirmed it. I had blistering at the base of my shaft. And back then I had horrible flu like symptoms a lot which resembled shingles mind you. Last week my leg was itchy and I noticed a small dot on my leg looking like a pimple. Plus a red dot and some irritation on my foreskin, however I took a shower and the redness went away. I figured maybe it was from playing sports and my underwear rubbing it. I took 500mg of valtrex twice a day for two days just incase and the spot on my leg disappeared. I figured nothing of it cause maybe it was nothing to begin with.

This morning I pulled back my foreskin and between the head of my penis and my shaft I see a number of small dots, possibly an outbreak I would think. I thought herpes was supposed to kinda stick to the area it was infected from? Suppose there could have been more areas that it was infected from.... :(

Oddly I don't feel any symptoms, no leg tingling, no itchiness. The only thing I can think of is that I had protected sex yesterday, could it be from the condom? Prior to being hsv2 positive I never wore a condom as I've always had a steady partner who were always negative for tested stds, granted no testing for hsv. Have any other men noticed things like this after having protected sex?

Either way I'm going to do a 3 day course of valtrex and see if all goes away. I just can't understand why I'm not having any symptoms. I'm obviously happy about that, but then I never know when to start taking anti virals.

WilsoInAus

For recurrent outbreaks you are more likely to only experience sores and not more widespread symptoms. Many symptoms surrounding initial infection are related to 'toxic shock' of the virus taking hold and your body gearing up to address it.

Be careful not to assign every spot etc. to herpes. Like every male you will continue to get, and being more frequent with age, normal genital issues.

Was your current steady partner your source?

Ihaveittoo1975

The dots may be a reaction from having sex. It happened to me the first time I had sex post dx, it caused my second outbreak. If it is indeed caused by sex, try to use lits of lube and avoid rough sex next time.

justanothersufferer
For recurrent outbreaks you are more likely to only experience sores and not more widespread symptoms. Many symptoms surrounding initial infection are related to 'toxic shock' of the virus taking hold and your body gearing up to address it.

Be careful not to assign every spot etc. to herpes. Like every male you will continue to get, and being more frequent with age, normal genital issues.

Was your current steady partner your source?

So the challenge is I don't know my source. I had an ex partner that I caught seeing another man about two years ago. Broke things off and met my current partner who I have been with for one and a half years. In the one and half years we had sex virtually everyday always unprotected. I never thought she cheated, and still don't. She has never shown signs of herpes, however did have a blood test which I don't think is terribly accurate. I'm not denying that she is positive, just don't think the tests are totally accurate. So I'm very cautious with sex when we have it.

Since I tested positive we don't have sex nearly as much, and if we do its protected. I'm obviously to afraid of infecting her, in the event she is somehow negative. And I don't fully understand how reinfections work so I've been shying on the side of caution until she hopefully gets tested again.

The bumps I noticed this morning subsided about an hour after taking 500mg of valtrex. Does it actually clear up that quick?

My lymphnodes didn't get bigger and I don't have any soreness so maybe someone with more experience can let me know?

justanothersufferer
The dots may be a reaction from having sex. It happened to me the first time I had sex post dx, it caused my second outbreak. If it is indeed caused by sex, try to use lits of lube and avoid rough sex next time.

Well we don't really have rough sex anymore. And I never do it dry as I don't think that would feel good for anyone. I just don't know if its the condom causing the problem or not. We might have to stick to other means until we see another outbreak.

justanothersufferer

Well we don't really have rough sex anymore. And I never do it dry as I don't think that would feel good for anyone. I just don't know if its the condom causing the problem or not. We might have to stick to other means until we see another outbreak.

WilsoInAus

If the December blisters were your first ever and troubled you enough to seek medical advice, then it is very likely that you were just infected. Your partner for over a year at that time is hence the source.

You suggest that the swab was positive for HSV-2. Was it correctly typed? If it took less than 4 days to get the result, then most probably it wasn't and type remains an open issue. Have you had a blood test since?

The only blood test to have is for IgG antibodies. Any other test is not correct for HSV. Which test did your partner have and what were the results?

All this points though to the likelihood that your partner is the source and hence there is no need for antivirals or to protect her from infection.

justanothersufferer
If the December blisters were your first ever and troubled you enough to seek medical advice, then it is very likely that you were just infected. Your partner for over a year at that time is hence the source.

You suggest that the swab was positive for HSV-2. Was it correctly typed? If it took less than 4 days to get the result, then most probably it wasn't and type remains an open issue. Have you had a blood test since?

The only blood test to have is for IgG antibodies. Any other test is not correct for HSV. Which test did your partner have and what were the results?

All this points though to the likelihood that your partner is the source and hence there is no need for antivirals or to protect her from infection.

I can't say for certain if it was or it wasn't from her, you are probably right but my doctor said it could have been from anyone I slept with in the last 8 years and just became active. We have been having sex for 1.5 years, and yes both of us had a cut or two over the years from sex, but never had any issues. This past December I had what looked to be folliculitis. My doctor said it looks more like herpes based on scabbing. He took a sample anyways and it came back positive. Later in January is when I had some small blisters that looked a lot more like HSV-2. Keep in mind I had body aching etc. for weeks prior.

I had pain on one side of my body then the other side weeks later. To emphasize, it was quite literally half of my body, stopped at my spine and the line down the center of my stomach. My doctor said those symptoms were unrelated, but the constant tingling in thighs and the enlarged lymph nodes were.

My Results: I never saw the results for my swab test, I think it was about 4 days till I got the results. I have not had a blood test. When I had my swab and the doctor said it was positive, I asked for which type, and he said 2.

Girlfriend's results: Blood test only said IgG reactive. No value or anything else, which is the only reason why I was suggesting she have another test.

By the way, 8am I noticed those bumps yesterday, and by late afternoon its like nothing had happened. This can't be because of the one 500mg of valtrex can it? Maybe it was just irritation from protected sex the day before?

I really do appreciate your responses. Thanks so much.

WilsoInAus

I think both of you should get the IgG test type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

justanothersufferer
I think both of you should get the IgG test type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Definitely agree, but I keep hearing people say these things are unreliable.

Hoping someone can still answer the valtrex questions I had. Could valtrex clear up an outbreak in just a few hours?

WilsoInAus

No a true outbreak will run its course and antivirals will potentially shorten the cycle by limiting size and progressing to healing stage quicker.

The right blood tests are very reliable. Interpretation is often unreliable though!

joeer120

Your doctor is right, it may not be your current girlfriend, you may have had this for years and you are just getting an outbreak.. I tested positive in December... I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years... He is negative... I took the Western Blot a few weeks ago and it is confirmed. I am positive. It's $250, I ordered it from Westover Heights Clinic

bob12

On Valtrex, it depends on how you metabolize medicine. For me, Valtrex worked wonders within an hour, everyone said not possible, but it sure as heck did. During my first year I would also get red bumps and red wet looking skin that would be there one day and gone like they were never there the next. Herpes has a lot of atypical symptoms for a lot of people, I would be careful with the advice that herpes will not act one way or the other, especially when you have a positive swab.

I also agree with joeer120 that it could have come from anyone. Later outbreaks are usually less severe, but it doesn't mean you can't have typical full body symptoms at that time. Lastly, many doctors automatically say HSV2 if a swab of the genitals comes back abnormal and the culture isn't typed. In reality, you could have had GHSV1 for years and just had an outbreak now. The key is finding out for sure if your swab was "typed".