World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Kurdt01

Does lysine only help HSV 1?

Kurdt01

I can't find an answer to this. Does anyone know if lysine helps HSV 2 or only HSV 1?

WilsoInAus

Lysine supplements have no medically based evidence of supporting the body in preventing outbreaks of either type of HSV.

Acesheart
I can't find an answer to this. Does anyone know if lysine helps HSV 2 or only HSV 1?

My understanding of L-Lysine is it keeps the virus from replicating in the body and builds the immunities in the system.

My answer would be no, it helps BOTH h1 and h2 .

Acesheart

I'm on Kindle Fire I cannot link you, but there is information about L-Lysine and herpes in our Library titled "Our Network" located up top this forum page in the herpes facts section. Check it out ;)

WilsoInAus

Have a look for Milman, Scheibel, Jessen 1978: Failure of lysine in frequently recurring herpes simplex labialis.

Acesheart

Thank you WilsonAus, :luv2u: . But any vitamins or supplements that build immunities in the body are going to have a positive effect on herpes in the body. Hugs Aces xo

KiaOra

Just because there is no scientific data, does not mean that something does not work. There is no scientific data to show that hugging someone who is emotionally distraught makes them feel better, but we all know it's true.

Anyway, I only have oral OBs, and when I first started getting them, Lysine helped me a ton. I went from having OBs constantly to NONE in 9 months. After that, with just 500mg of Lysine per day I was down to only 2 OBs per year for the next five years. I didn't need scientific data to prove that it worked because...well, it worked.

I think it's worth a try for whatever type of H you have. Good luck!

WilsoInAus

But that is the experience of most people with HSV-1 with no lysine supplements. About 40% of people get no outbreaks after the first year.

My point is you do not need anything more than a healthy diet. If you have deficiencies then maybe supplements correct this imbalance. Only antivirals have been shown to inhibit herpes replication. Lysine has been shown not to work, there is scientific data.

KiaOra

It worked for me. I eventually went off Lysine and tried the healthy diet route and frequency of OBs went back up. I'm not one of the lucky people who naturally has had no or few OBs after the first year.

stronghands87

My doc tried to convince me to use lysine. She said it works better than the antivirals. I tried that out for a couple of months and then went back into her office with a scowl on my face and asked for the valtrex. Haven't had a breakout since.

Acesheart
My doc tried to convince me to use lysine. She said it works better than the antivirals. I tried that out for a couple of months and then went back into her office with a scowl on my face and asked for the valtrex. Haven't had a breakout since.

You did great going back to your doctor's office, many don't want to go against their doctors. L-Lysine is not meant to take the place of Antivirals, your doctor was mistaken. L-Lysine builds immunities in the body and stronger , healthier immune systems are better at keeping herpes from replication.

I agree with KiaOra, . We know what works for one may not work for other's.

I tried Lysine, it made my stomach ulcers hurt, I stopped after 2 weeks, but I've spoken to several here who want to take natural road, no chemicals, and yes it worked for them.

Kurdt01

I'm gonna give it a shot for a month. I'll def know if it's doing anything of not. It will either prevent my regularly scheduled OB or it won't. And WilsoInAus I can find studies online saying that it did work, I saw the one you grabbed too, as I'm sure you saw the other ones as well. I was more interested in anecdotal evidence from forum members with HSV2 that have tried lysine.

Acesheart
I'm gonna give it a shot for a month. I'll def know if it's doing anything of not. It will either prevent my regularly scheduled OB or it won't. And WilsoInAus I can find studies online saying that it did work, I saw the one you grabbed too, as I'm sure you saw the other ones as well. I was more interested in anecdotal evidence from forum members with HSV2 that have tried lysine.

Great new honey please keep me posted :wavey: Hugs Aces xo

Rosebud24

it worked for me. I bought the lysine and imune boost off the dynamiclear site.