World's Largest Herpes Support Group
oneday

New investigational vaccine may prevent hsv latency

VVK

Way to go - someone in vaccine development is actually still using science in North America!

Happy22

This is a great article. I'm happy that there are several scientists pushing for a live vaccine now, research is going in the right direction. The article doesn't state if the virus in this vaccine can replicate or not though. I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure. Thanks! :)

Sally89
appears to be new research, let's hope it goes to clinical trials asap

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-03/aeco-ehv030515.php

Thanks for the read. It really is alarming when I read that 500 mil people are affected with the virus. I'm happy that it appears that people want to do something about it but it pains me to know that people feel isolated because of the virus. I mean if that many people have it then why isn't it more acceptable. The reason it continues to get spread is because nobody wants to talk about it.

Voyager2

Wowie...

"The Einstein team hopes to begin clinical trials on humans within a few years."

I wish they could even move this estimate up. Since the new approach works perfectly with mice (100%), a small phase 1 human trial to test safety and efficacy would be invaluable.

Thanks, oneday!

Sally89
Wowie...

"The Einstein team hopes to begin clinical trials on humans within a few years."

I wish they could even move this estimate up. Since the new approach works perfectly with mice (100%), a small phase 1 human trial to test safety and efficacy would be invaluable.

Thanks, oneday!

It appears that a lot of them are a few years away but at least there's something to look forward to. I just wish one day I can wake up and hear that it has been cured. That would be lovely.

This is the first time I'm hearing about this one so it is nice that people are trying to find a cure for this one. I want a cure but the most important thing for me is to stop transmission. And when the news of a vaccine hits, it will be interesting to read about the real numbers because I believe what is out there has been underestimated. The stats say that if I'm in a room with 20 people that at least 14 of them have a combo of hsv 1 or 2....okay.. but the problem is nobody is going to admit it unless you see it on their face. I have counted, in my office alone, out of 40 plus people that many with hsv1 and not one of them thinks they have herpes.

Sally89
Wowie...

Thanks, oneday!

It appears that a lot of them are a few years away but at least there's something to look forward to. I just wish one day I can wake up and hear that it has been cured. That would be lovely.

This is the first time I'm hearing about this one so it is nice that people are trying to find a cure for this one. I want a cure but the most important thing for me is to stop transmission. And when the news of a vaccine hits, it will be interesting to read about the real numbers because I believe what is out there has been underestimated. The stats say that if I'm in a room with 20 people that at least 14 of them have a combo of hsv 1 or 2....okay.. but the problem is nobody is going to admit it unless you see it on their face. I have counted, in my office alone, out of 40 plus people that many with hsv1 and not one of them thinks they have herpes.

worried2104

So if this can make the virus come out of latency would this plus antivirals = a pure cure??

AychEsVee

A pure cure would involve the removal of the virus. But if this eliminated symptoms AND transmission? Yah, I'd be cool with a "maintenance cure."

And for the people who complain about the regime aspect of such a possibility, suck it up. Think of how complex the virus is, and ask yourself how realistic it is to expect a cure (in our lifetime).

hsv1owner

Even if the vaccine was fast tracked you're looking at 5+ years. From what I've seen at the moment the best bet is the Coridon/Admedus HSV-2 vaccine for a real, genuine T-Cell base "cure" or at least completely suppressive therapy. Company has a great track record with Gardasil too (totally different virus and problem set though).

valleynovascotia

does gardasil work for hpv if you already have it my doctor told me it would keep the warts from coming back.

Gothic Beauty
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, valleynovascotia said:

does gardasil work for hpv if you already have it my doctor told me it would keep the warts from coming back.

I think this is totally unrelated to the original topic but yes, you should get Gardasil. Last I checked, the latest version protects against up to 9 different strands of HPV including all the ones that cause warts and the 4 that cause cervical cancer in women. It is also available for men. Why men are not also getting this vaccine is pure stupidity, in my opinion.