World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
hsv1owner

Serology testing for new partners?

hsv1owner

Hi all,

I'm new here and I've been thinking about the telling thing. It's strange, HSV1/2 is a common infection and heaps of people have it. I've done a lot of research into it and I now consider myself pretty well informed. Most people are not very well informed and it's totally not their fault. Many sources of information still treat Herpes like a death sentence.

Perhaps more importantly, most people don't even discuss the numbers. Being that by 50yo ~80% of the population will have HSV-1 and 1 in 5 people will have HSV-2.

So my question is about telling people. It's simple to just give them all the information they need and let them make up their own mind. That's great, but has anyone here asked a potential partner to just go get a Herpes blood test to see if they already have antibodies to their form of the virus?

I suppose in my case, this makes sense. HSV-1 infection rates are so high that it's likely that at least half of all people would already have been infected and thus immune to getting it from me. But what do people with HSV-2 think about this?

Also, I guess, blood tests/needles are no big deal to me, but heaps of people hate them. So there's that too.

So is this a reasonable suggestion? Would you have to wait until you're a bit closer first? Thoughts?

TXsunshine

I've always gotten full std panels done when I'm in a new relationship and ask my partners to do the same, fortunately or unfortunately that's how my current partner received his diagnosis.

hsv1owner

Then you probably know that herpes serology testing has to be specifically asked for in most places. In most places, they do not test for it as part of the standard panel. My suggestion is simply a way of getting a clear picture about their status. If they don't have antibodies they can make an informed choice. If they have antibodies, then it's probably no big deal. They won't get it.

TXsunshine

Yes, I do know it's not tested for everywhere. I know I was because my doctor gives me the results and I make a point of reviewing and educating myself on the information presented so I knew my HSV result numbers. Yep...if they have antibodies they already have HSV, though they can acquire HSV of a strain they don't already have they can't reacquire what they already have.

It says a lot about my partner's integrity that he gave me his results. That took guts and I'm grateful. He's a good guy, he's a keeper! :)