World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
trying2livenormal

Acyclovir isn't working!

trying2livenormal

Hey fellow herpsters,

I am curious to know if anyone else on acyclovir still gets herpes outbreaks frequently?!?! Seriously, I pop two 400 mg pills a day (highest does according to my doctor and my pharm book) and I still get at least one blister a month on my lady bits. On the plus side, acyclovir has stopped my nerve pain. But, I still have the constant itch and a lovely painful blister a week before my period. I'm contemplating trying Valtrex since it converts into higher doses of acyclovir in the body, but it is so expensive! :( Also, I have tried lysine. It was a waste of money.

Suggestions?

sickornotsick

Valacyclovir (generic valtrex) is usually pretty affordable but I suppose it may vary from place to place, health plan to health plan.

Some folks seem to get relief with tagamet. This should only be used under a doctors supervision. You might want to investigate this and talk to your doctor to see if it's right for you. Here's a thread about it:

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/threads/tagamet-to-suppress-obs.55002/

On the natural side, monolaurin, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, zinc, vitamin c, lysine every day seem to help. Others like other stuff. You can comb the boards here for info on all of these.

I'm sure others will chime in but some things to think about...

WilsoInAus

trying2... have you ever had confirmation of a HSV infection? Do you know the type?

trying2livenormal

I would never use tagamet. It has nasty side effects not to mention many drug interactions. It can cause gynecomastia in men, just a heads up if you are using it. I have horrible health insurance that doesn't cover medication until I meet a several thousand dollar deductible. And I am a full time student with no job currently, so money is tight at the moment. Lysine didn't work. Vitamin C made me feel great, but I still got the blisters. I haven't tried olive leaf extract, zinc, or oregano. I will do some research on them to see if it is worth it.

trying2livenormal
trying2... have you ever had confirmation of a HSV infection? Do you know the type?

The planned parenthood doc said it was HSV from looking at it, took a sample, and then I never got the results (but I sure got the bill!). I was too distraught to ever call for the results. I wasn't mentally ready to hear those words and so I lived in denial for a few years. It was blissful.

I cannot imagine what else it could be. I have constant itching, nerve zings every now and then, and then what feels like a zit pops up on my little bits. I only saw ulcers (no scabbing) the one time I went to the planned parenthood doc.

Would the type make a difference on what medication I took? I was under the impression that all antivirals are the same. Although my drug guide book said Famciclovir was mostly used for shingles.

WilsoInAus

Obtain a blood test for IgG antibodies type specific for HSV1 and HSV2. I think you always confirm a visual diagnosis. The regularity of the outbreaks is also very suspicious, particularly if they have a little puss in them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Lulupazoola
      It is already a hassle getting started with making it.  I end up with more questions than I can find answers for, but stumble on...  I am retired so feel like my job is (finally) taking care of myself.  I have had few health issues, generally healthy--except for the H bomb.  If i have to make liposomal 2x a week, i dont think it will be a big deal.  The big deal is getting the equipment and getting started i think.  I make kombucha, which is sort of like having a not-very-demanding pet.  I dont mind doing this kind of stuff.  But will probably keep liposomal capsules or packets on hand for times when its inconvenient to make it. I cant believe u r sucking down 6 g of AA at a time!  The most i drink with AA is 2 g at a time.  I am currently taking 4 g AA and 9 g liposomal C in caps/packets. The protocol evolves.  I am so thrilled to not have BO's that i dont care what i have to do. They ruined my life.  I am glad u r finally getting good results with your fight against H.  Have u tried drinking the AA thru a straw with the straw toward the back of your mouth to avoid teeth?  I would think baking soda and water swished around in your mouth after drinking the AA would neutralize any remaining acid.  My teeth have pretty strong enamel, so i dont worry about it (but dont do 6 g AA at a time).  If u r worried about acid erroding tooth enamel, why arent u worried about 6 g of AA at a time going down the soft tissues of your esophagus and onward?  Im not saying its wrong, just wondering.   
    • Not sure what I’ve got
      Additionally to the above and to answer you question more precisely, it had been 12 days (probably more) before I started to get itchy (I could swear the rash started as insect bites, each very distinct - I am in a hostel so there is a chance it was bedbugs). Before that it had been a week or two.  I also had been cycling intensely in 35 plus degree heat (temps were around 38 degrees today. And the spot where the rash showed up is the exacts spot where my upper thigh rubs the seat. Finally, my clothes were washed by a laundry service, and the T-shirt I was wearing that was washed in the same load had been irritating my skin. 
    • WilsoInAus
      @Sabayou have no need to be concerned with genital herpes. Your symptoms are not those of herpes.  If you have concerns, seek out the type specific HSV testing.
    • readytostart
      https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/04/18/1806629/0/en/Global-Genital-Herpes-Treatment-Drugs-Market-Study-2019-Excellent-Product-Pipeline-Catering-Therapeutics-Vaccines-to-Bolster-Patient-Immunity-Such-as-GEN-003-and-VCL-HB01.html
    • readytostart
      Yes, really would be an improvement not have to Carry the burden of transmission...many people are researching cures and treatments, but sadly everything takes too much time

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.