World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
desert_rat

Antibodies

desert_rat

I've seen this touched on as a side topic in several posts, but wanted to address it by itself. Do antibodies ever go away? I've heard it two ways:

-Once you have them you will always have them

-Once they are no longer needed they will slowly go away, but your body will remember how to make more

I'm asymptomatic for HSV1, but my antibodies indicate that I've probably had it for a while. I'm trying various "cures", but since I don't have breakouts (well I did after I started treating it, but that's for another post)... how can I know if it worked.

I know there are many out there that will simply say HSV can not be cured so you will always have them, but I'm focused on just the antibody question so it's more generic than HSV. For things that can be cured... do those antibodies go away or at least shrink in numbers?

Acesheart
I've seen this touched on as a side topic in several posts, but wanted to address it by itself. Do antibodies ever go away? I've heard it two ways:

-Once you have them you will always have them

-Once they are no longer needed they will slowly go away, but your body will remember how to make more

I'm asymptomatic for HSV1, but my antibodies indicate that I've probably had it for a while. I'm trying various "cures", but since I don't have breakouts (well I did after I started treating it, but that's for another post)... how can I know if it worked.

I know there are many out there that will simply say HSV can not be cured so you will always have them, but I'm focused on just the antibody question so it's more generic than HSV. For things that can be cured... do those antibodies go away or at least shrink in numbers?

Hey d_r, I've had Ghsv 2 for 28yrs now and last blood test I took still showed at 4.51I believe. Not sure what it tested over two decades but I have only had 2 outbreaks ever in all these years. I was told that antivirals can make the numbers show up lower than they actually are, but that once you have antibodies you will always show them.

Example, I did not know if I'd ever had measles, mumps or rubella vaccination. The doctor told me they could test the blood to see if I showed any antibodies, meaning I'd been vaccinated for them as a child. I wound up getting the measles shot and let me tell you it hurt like a bitch. That's about all I really know about antibodies. Maybe check out our Library on herpes. It's top of this page titled "Our Network". Hope this helps. Truly, Aces xx

desert_rat

Thanks Aces... actually it was the measles vaccine that in part made me ask the question. You're suppose to get a booster every x years or it wont be affective. Maybe that's just the difference of the body creating antibodies itself to fight the real virus naturally, and unnaturally getting the vaccine.

I have a few more weeks on current self experiment, then I will wait a year and get tested again. If the results show anything I'll post back.

Acesheart
Thanks Aces... actually it was the measles vaccine that in part made me ask the question. You're suppose to get a booster every x years or it wont be affective. Maybe that's just the difference of the body creating antibodies itself to fight the real virus naturally, and unnaturally getting the vaccine.

I have a few more weeks on current self experiment, then I will wait a year and get tested again. If the results show anything I'll post back.

I get my measles booster next week, not looking forward to that crap, it hurts. Lol.. I am not one who likes needles anyway but the arm pain, fatigue and weakness in that left arm left me speechless!