World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
beyonce47

Scared I transmitted…..

beyonce47

So this week past week, I had been having symptoms conducive to the virus being active in my system, such as tingling in my back and legs, pain in my lymph nodes, and some pains/redness in my labia. No sores though. I promptly began taking my valtrex as prescribed, and was on a high dose (2 grams per day) for two days leading up to an encounter I had. On thursday, I was having some sensations but the redness/soreness in my labia was pretty much gone, and all I was experiencing was a few random tingles throughout the day. Mostly nothing however, and nothing in the 6 hrs leading up to the encounter. I went over to a guys house who I have been seeing, and was planning on fooling around with him but not having sex with him, as I was on my period (which was true anyways, though he does know I carry HSV). Things were getting heated however, and as part of foreplay he was rubbing his naked penis against my vaginal area, however I was wearing underwear. I'm worried because I think for a brief period my underwear may have moved aside and that he was rubbing on my bare skin. I'm confident that this was not going on for long, definitely not more than 15-30 seconds max, cause I felt it and caught it. But it still makes me nervous. We ended up having protected sex, however I am not as concerned about that cause I am confident that his penis was completely covering him for the entirety of the act (and it wasn't even very long anyways). He also wasn't 100% inside, so I'm not worried about having transmitted it to his pelvis. It's mainly the foreplay that I'm freaked out about. I had been on valtrex for four days leading up to the event, I hadn't even had a full blown outbreak, I wasn't experiencing symptoms at that exact time AND the act itself was pretty protected (considering my underwear was on for the entire duration of foreplay and a condom was used), but I am still worried I could have given it to him….has anyone had any experiences similar to this one? Any insights would be appreciated.

VVK

Based on your description, the probability of transmission is very low.

Do you know for sure that the guy you're seeing isn't already affected by HSV?

beyonce47

Thanks, yeah from what I gathered it would be pretty unusual for me to have transmitted to him, especially considering how it's harder to transmit the virus to a male, the whole thing just makes me nervous. This is the LAST time in playing fast and loose with my symptoms, cause all of this worrying is absolutely not worth it.

beyonce47

And yeah I'm pretty sure, we haven't been seeing eachother that long and he was negative at the beginning of our relationship but I guess you never know

VVK

Yes - unless he tested negative and has the numbers to show it (most standard STD tests don't even include herpes testing) it's not possible to know.

WilsoInAus

beyonce, have you confirmed that you have a genital infection and what type it is?

beyonce47

yes i have- GHSV2 via igm blood test

beyonce47

No, however I'm fairly certain that it is accurate. My symptoms are very conducive to this infection

beyonce47

and my symptoms have responded incredibly well to anti-virals- I'm now on suppressive therapy

WilsoInAus

I would still suggest you get the IgG testing, IgM just cannot be relied upon.

beyonce47

Perhaps I should, but I really don't know if its worth it. I had a classic first break out, and persistent symptoms over the next few months that subsided with valtrex. The postive IGM was the icing on the cake. At this point, I just wanna focus on learning how to adapt and adjust to this new phase of life....I'm only 20, and very very scared.

WilsoInAus

IgM is never 'icing' it is a flawed test. Why live your life with false information? Why take drugs that have potential side effects if you do not need to?

Get the IgG testing, the outcomes might surprise.

beyonce47

It's just that everything adds up...I don't see the point doing additional testing when I am so certain that I have HSV...I don't want to put myself through the additional emotional turmoil of potentially getting my hopes up that this is not what I think it is when in fact, it was all along. The writing is, unfortunately, on the wall. I wish my symptoms didn't match up so accordingly, and that they didn't respond to treatment like they had, but they did. And now all I can do is accept that this is my fate and attempt to move on with my life.

VVK

Beyonce, the use of the IgG testing exceeds just knowing that you have HSV or not. Knowing what type you have - HSV I or HSV II - is an important piece of information. If you are HSV1+ for example and your boyfriend is HSV1+, there's no risk in intimacy between the two of you. Same if you both have HSV2. I'm not promoting the testing, but just offering you this angle in case you decide to find out in the future.

WilsoInAus

Plus no one can be sure they have herpes until a test confirms it.

Acesheart

Hey beyonce, I absolutely agree with guys, if you don't have proper testing to get accurate diagnosis you can't possibly say well it is herpes. There really are no typical symptoms with herpes. Some say oh I had typical herpes symptoms, but they really are NOT typical, mine was NOT. Testing through swab/culture gave me my results. I would have sworn I didn't have herpes simply because I was married, committed relationship, but my 4month long outbreak (certainly NOT typical) having been cultured was the only way to know for sure what I had. I've seen many people here say "oh I know it's herpes" but when they get properly tested, what they have and suffered through was in fact something that could have been treated beforehand. Please get tested, don't assume.