World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Mellisuga

Deleted gD-2 Gene research from Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University

Mellisuga

Here is the article:

http://elifesciences.org/content/elife/4/e06883.full.pdf

and their link to another article:

http://elifesciences.org/content/4/e06054

I'm happy to note that this research was mentioned in the Wikipedia page (that "sticky" thread) above.

What are your thoughts on this, and other research projects? Let's get technical here! :D

Voyager2

There have been other posts on this breakthrough but I hadn't seen this particular article. Thanks for pointing it out.

I am excited by this work, which strikes me as truly "thinking outside the box." Some have poo-pooed it, but it sounds great to me. They are honest and say they don't understand a few things about it, but that it does do what they want it to do. In the case of mice, it exceeds all expectations. Let's get a phase 1 trial going A-S-A-P!!!!!

dave@dave

i hope they can make a real vaccine so children never have to deal with this again but as soon as a real vaccine is made, i doubt they will look for a cure at all anymore. They will just wait for the infected to fizzle out and die

Hazybrains
i hope they can make a real vaccine so children never have to deal with this again but as soon as a real vaccine is made, i doubt they will look for a cure at all anymore. They will just wait for the infected to fizzle out and die

Yea, this is sad, but true.

I'm starting to think there is no such thing as a therapeutic vaccine, only a preventative one.

Why would this vaccine not be tested on already infected mice I wonder?

At least that Japanese pill is being made. I think that could be amazing, its out of phase III, and apparently going to be made. We need that!

I am so angry with the FDA and the pharma medical community. There are so many advances and breakthroughs in HSV science, but none of it is used. We can cure the disease if the money and will was there.

Gothic Beauty
Yea, this is sad, but true.

I'm starting to think there is no such thing as a therapeutic vaccine, only a preventative one.

Why would this vaccine not be tested on already infected mice I wonder?

At least that Japanese pill is being made. I think that could be amazing, its out of phase III, and apparently going to be made. We need that!

I am so angry with the FDA and the pharma medical community. There are so many advances and breakthroughs in HSV science, but none of it is used. We can cure the disease if the money and will was there.

Do you have any links about this Japanese pill? I would like to hear more about it.

Evaluate
Do you have any links about this Japanese pill? I would like to hear more about it.

Here is the clinical trial link: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01959295?term=asp2151&rank=9

The pill is called ASP2151 (Amenamevir). It's just finished phase III clinical trials but I'm not sure the data has been published yet. I'm not too well versed in it but perhaps someone else can help.

trying2livenormal

I wonder if I would have to fly to Japan to get the pill when it comes out. Oh well. I could say it was a new adventure. I would do almost anything to stop my OB's and prodrome symptoms. Who wants to come with me? ;)

Paul1976

Do you know if this ASP2151 has been successfully in phase 3 and if so when will it be released? surely there will be a way for it to be available to people outside of Japan

NorCal_Herpster

Can anyone direct me to a link or a post that will give me the results from all three phases of the the Japanese vaccine ASP2151?

StayingUpbeat
Can anyone direct me to a link or a post that will give me the results from all three phases of the the Japanese vaccine ASP2151?

It's not a vaccine it's a suppressive treatment in pill form similar to acyclovir/famciclovir that works through a different mechanism called Helicase Primase Inhibition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23361434

Maruho hasn't released any data on the trials and won't likely do so, in any form, before Q4 of this year.

[uSER=57578]@Random girl[/uSER] shared an e-mail from Maruho regarding ASP2151 in her post here.

It was suspended then started up at a later date. This is an email response from them last month:

Thank you for your interest in our product. We will be doing the application for manufacturing approval immediately after the phase 3 study is finished.

And we expect that our product would be launched as soon as possible but the launch date is affected greatly depending on review progress of Japanese authority.

We regret to say that we are unable to give you further information other than the posted on the website(https://clinicaltrials.gov/)of ClinicalTrials.gov because those are all the information to be provided based on our company's information disclosure standard.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

----------------------------------

R&D Administration Department,

Kyoto R&D Center

Maruho Co.,Ltd

E-mail:ctinfo@mii.maruho.co.jp

The .gov site lists July 2015 as final data collection date for phase 3. If it is approved it could be available in the near future.

I posted links to all the phase I and II results performed by Astellas (including the pipeline report showing it was discontinued by Astellas) in this post in 2013.

Seems like this has been out for a while but since I haven't seen it I figured I'd post. Astellas results of a phase II trial of their helicase-primase inhibitor ASP2151 (amenamevir).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351940

Press release:

http://www.internalmedicinenews.com/index.php?id=2049&type=98&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=100684&cHash=da03e20e36

***EDIT***

It looks like from Astellas 3rd quarter 2011 R&D report work on this drug has been suspended (page 3). The asterisk next to the trial phase means product discontinued.

http://www.astellas.com/en/ir/library/pdf/3q2011_rd_en.pdf

It vanishes from the reports after. With the size of this company that is so very sad to see.

---

StayingUpbeat
What do those results mean? What percentage did it inhibit shedding and lesions?

The end points of the trial were healing time and time to next recurrence when used episodically. Suppressive shedding and lesion rates were not specifically measured.

dont quit!

Article further clarified some of my questions regarding vaccine. Thanks for the post.

StayingUpbeat
Albert Einstein College of Medicine posted an update: http://blogs.einstein.yu.edu/developing-a-herpes-vaccine-a-new-approach/

We are working to optimize models to test whether the vaccine will be effective in reducing recurrences in people already infected with HSV and we are completing the preclinical work required to test this new vaccine in people

That is incredible. Good luck to Dr. Harold and her team.

---

Gothic Beauty

This is great & all but I'm sad it's only in small animal preclinicals and not further along. If this is successful it could take up to 10 years just to get to market.

StayingUpbeat
This is great & all but I'm sad it's only in small animal preclinicals and not further along. If this is successful it could take up to 10 years just to get to market.

Hospitals have a bit more latitude when it comes to clinical trials. You're right in that it will probably take about 10 years to literally get to "market" but having the resources available to perform clinical trials in the same building as the research should get the Phase I moving faster. Considering how many treatments are wallowing in the chasm of pre-clinical testing without sufficient funding to take the next step; the fact that the lead researcher is specifically talking about getting clinical trials started implies that they both have funding and are going to get there. I see that as a very good thing!

---

tom343
An update from them with video http://www.huffingtonpost.com/albert-einstein-college-of-medicine/developing-a-herpes-vacci_b_7935968.html?ir=Australia

Sounds pretty good. They have a point-if we can achieve a chicken pox vaccine there is possibility of the others too. It's just waiting..

Yeah and it's great that they sound like they're setting up for human trials.

lexyz22
Yeah and it's great that they sound like they're setting up for human trials.

Great news :)