What is the percentage of spreading HSV 2

Paul1976

Hi 

I wonder if anybody could tell me what is the percentage of spreading genital hsv 2 to a female partner - I am currently taking 400mg of aciclovir twice a day 

Many thanks 

Edited by Paul1976

With condoms as well then it is estimated to be as follows, assuming you avoid outbreaks:

8% per annum, 100 sexual episodes:

- half off for antivirals, sometimes its more for some people

- half off for condoms, usually more for males as many shed mostly from the penis.

This means 2% per annum or 1 in 5,000 per episode! The odds are probably even lower if you are religious with taking the tablets and using a condom properly.

Seem low? It is, because you know you have it, are on antivirals and condoms and know when you're having an outbreak.

• Like 1

Thanks fo the reply, To be honest we don't use condoms as we both don't like the feel of them and we wouldn't do anything during an outbreak, I'm also really strict about taking my suppressive meds  , so I'm guessing it's around 4%ish then 

Thanks fo the reply, To be honest we don't use condoms as we both don't like the feel of them and we wouldn't do anything during an outbreak, I'm also really strict about taking my suppressive meds  , so I'm guessing it's around 4%ish then 

There is another way to lower the risk. Use Coconut Oil / Monolaurin Gel in the bedroom as lube, they have antiviral compounds (lauric acid) which have time and time again been proven to inactivate HSV. Obviously you'd need to spread this around a bit on your body as you shed from multiple areas on the genitals etc. 

I'd say with no outbreaks, suppressive meds and coconut oil / monolaurin, your risk would seriously be about 2%.

You could go a step further and make a topical zinc sulphate ionic wash before sex, this would reduce it even more. Clearly this removes some of the spontaneity of sex, but if you hate condoms then its good to be extra safe! 

• Like 1