My second outbreak, won't be as bad as first?

Pseudonymph

Hey everyone!

Having "survived" my first outbreak in August (sounds like I'm discussing a zombie outbreak, oh how I wish it was just that...!) and being told that my HSV1 genital herpes was highly unlikely to reappear (low recurrence rate), I'm now facing outbreak number 2. The way I'm feeling begins with a P and ends with an -issed off!

I know the first time is the worst (because it really was, oh my god.), and I've heard that the severity of it reduces with each outbreak... but by how much? Does it differ for everyone? I'm at the stage where the bumps have just come out, and if the pain and pressure is anything like last time then I might have to reconsider any plans I've made to go out for the next week or so.

I was lucky enough to get Aciclovir in advance as a precaution so I've taken the first of 3 daily tablets today. Hoping that will ease it a bit.

I think I could just do with a bit of a hug right now and a "it's gonna be all right"!

I also experienced an outbreak from h-e-double hockey sticks in August. I prayed for my demise at that point. My second ghsv1 OB came and brought mild symptoms. I ended up getting one sore and a yeast infection. It hurt a bit, but nothing like the first. I could actually walk without pain this time. I took 3 days worth of valtrex. Don't think I took enough though because it took 2 weeks for the sore to go away. My only tip is to continue with the anti-viral until they go away.

It SHOULD NOT feel like your first OB. Continue taking your meds and I think you'll be good to go!

• 2 weeks later...

I have hsv2 genital and used to get outbreaks.  Initially I had 3 or 4 a year, but as time passed they came farther apart and shorter in duration.  Now it has been several years since my last one.  

Having chatted with thousands of Herpsters on this website over the past 6 years I have heard similar stories from many of them.  It is rare for subsequent outbreaks to be worse than the first or for them not to get less severe over time.

To answer Terrell's question, almost all of the sex I have had since becoming a Herpster has been unprotected (their choice) and I have never passed this to any woman I have dated.

JB

I had my first outbreak in August as well and am now worrying that I am on the verge of my second outbreak as we speak! I found one bump near my anal area today and feel dizzy (the dizziness may be out of extreme paranoia). I do have the prescription for an antiviral on me, but I'm not sure if it is too soon to take it! 

Bottom line is I'm right there with you and I'm terrified for this second OB, but we will get through this. I keep trying to tell myself it's just like a period. 

• 1 year later...

I have HSV 2 on my outer thigh, and my OB's have gotten worse.  I've had 4 OB's in the last 2 years, which isn't frequent but the OB's have gotten larger and more painful.  I also get flu-like symptoms with each OB and neuropathy almost every two months.

I wish I only had it on my outer thigh ... but I guess its easier to spread. Personally, it seems that I have less outbreaks but they are more intense.

8 hours ago, Headshoulderskneesandtoes said:

Did y'all have flu like symptoms with the first? Does it happen with the second too?

I got flu-like symptoms my last outbreak and I'm in my 2nd year.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:42 PM, luvurself16 said:

I wish I only had it on my outer thigh ... but I guess its easier to spread. Personally, it seems that I have less outbreaks but they are more intense.

I got flu-like symptoms my last outbreak and I'm in my 2nd year.

I got flu symptoms my last ohsv1 ob last summer.  Not sure if feeling sick allowed the ob or the pending ob caused the flu symptoms.  Who knows.  But.  I was run down for no reason (I had been sleeping, exercising, eating ok, etc) felt flu like symptoms.  Next day, ob.

And I have had hsv1 since 2006