World's Largest Herpes Support Group
JustHanginginThere

Asp2151 Japan update help?

NorCal_Herpster
2 hours ago, CanadianGuy said:

This is great news. I don't take any meds and I would describe my symptoms the way you describe taking valtrex. Its red and sensitive to rubbing/touch. If I could get rid of that it would make me pretty happy. Have you told your doctor about taking Amenamevir?

No, I haven’t told my Dr.  I’ve found most dermatologists to be uneducated when it comes to advances in HSV vaccines in other countries.  Which is understandable.  I’m sure if & when Pritlivir comes out, they’ll be pushing it hard.  Or if Amenamevir is approved by the FDA.

CanadianGuy
15 hours ago, NorCal_Herpster said:

No, I haven’t told my Dr.  I’ve found most dermatologists to be uneducated when it comes to advances in HSV vaccines in other countries.  Which is understandable.  I’m sure if & when Pritlivir comes out, they’ll be pushing it hard.  Or if Amenamevir is approved by the FDA.

Do you have any concern on the long term effects of amenamevir by itself or its combination with valtrex? Obviously it must be relatively safe if its being sold in Japan?

NorCal_Herpster
2 hours ago, CanadianGuy said:

Do you have any concern on the long term effects of amenamevir by itself or its combination with valtrex? Obviously it must be relatively safe if its being sold in Japan?

There are always concerns. I don’t think my Dr. or Dermatologist would be able to tell me if taking Amenamevir has any long term negative effects at this early stage.  

destroyhsv
Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2018 at 4:31 PM, CanadianGuy said:

I'm much more concerned about the long term effects of living with this fucking disease on my mental health and general well-being than I am about the long term effects of a low dose of a drug that was shown to be relatively safe in clinical trials and that I've experienced no side effects from in over a month of taking it. I'll take my chances.

I would rather take a drug that lets me live life to the fullest and take on some risk in the process than sit on the sidelines and let life pass me by. 

Edited by destroyhsv

CanadianGuy
5 hours ago, destroyhsv said:

I'm much more concerned about the long term effects of living with this fucking disease on my mental health and general well-being than I am about the long term effects of a low dose of a drug that was shown to be relatively safe in clinical trials and that I've experienced no side effects from in over a month of taking it. I'll take my chances.

I would rather take a drug that lets me live life to the fullest and take on some risk in the process than sit on the sidelines and let life pass me by. 

It's all good bro. I was just asking a question.

valleynovascotia

Would this make us non contagious?

dont quit!17
On 7/22/2018 at 11:45 AM, destroyhsv said:

First off, think about how herpes outbreaks (episodic treatment) are treated vs. how herpes suppression (suppressive therapy) is treated. 

To manage outbreaks, a doctor may prescribe 1500-3000 mg of Valtrex a day for episodic therapy. On the other hand, for suppressive therapy, a doctor typically prescribes 500 mg of Valtrex a day. So 3-6x less of a dose. 

So let's look at amenamevir episodic therapy clinical trials. Now it goes without saying that we want a lower dose. This drug is expensive and we don't know a lot about it so we want to minimize our dose while still getting a suppressive effect.

Another important point is that we want a drug that has, say, at least the strength of valtrex that works via a DIFFERENT mechanism (i.e. not a nucleoside analog). This is how we get a synergistic or at least additive effect. Well we know that amenamevir is a helicase-primase inhibitor, which is a different mechanism from the nucleoside analogs, so we can check that off.

Here's a study where they used between 100 mg and 400 mg a day for an episode. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351940

The key point to take from this study is that 100 mg a day had almost a statistically significant effect on healing. 100 mg gave a healing time of ~120 hours vs. 140 hours for placebo. This is similar to many of the other doses they used (all higher doses). There's a p-value of .065. So technically not statistically significant, but looks pretty significant to me and is very similar to the healing times of the other doses, especially 400 mg.

If 100 mg a day has a significant effect on healing, it must have a significant antiviral effect. And if you look at the healing time compared to 500 mg of valtrex twice daily, it's about the same (~120 hours with Amenamevir @ 100 mg vs. ~115 hours with Valtrex at 1000 mg a day). 

So an educated guess would be that taking Amenamevir should have a similar antiviral effect as Valtrex at 500 mg a day.

However, it happens via a separate mechanism (Helicase primase instead of nucleoside analog). 

So, the effects are now combined, if not synergistic. In fact, there's a study that shows a possible synergistic effect of Amenamevir and Valacyclovir: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23261844

There's a pritelivir vs. valacyclovir shedding study that shows a 500 mg dose of valtrex put shedding at about 5% of days. Placebo was close to 20% of days.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2593569

That's a 75% reduction in shedding. Again, if we estimate Amenamevir @ 100 mg has the same effect as Valtrex at 500 mg but is able to combine with valtrex, then Amenamevir combined with valtrex gives us a further 75% reduction in shedding.

That takes us from 5% to 1.25% of days. That's about 4 days of the year. And that's assuming NO synergistic effect whatsoever. There is research I linked that strongly supports a synergistic effect. Shedding may very well go down to less than 1% of days. 

Additionally, the stronger the antiviral effect, the less amount of virus is shed during an episode. This further reduces risk of transmission.

So, this is based on many estimates, but none of what I have put together is a random guess. Everything is based on the literature.

I know this was a massive post so if anybody wants any further clarification or wants to debate about this I am happy to answer any questions!

Im thinking about purchasing some for the fuck of it. From what I understand you don't need a prescription? Correct?

I wonder if Mimaki would give us discounts for being a consistent buyer ( I know they won't but money talks and one can hope so).

Thanks for the informative post. You make clearly logical and valid points. Please keep us updated. The time is now. 

NorCal_Herpster
1 hour ago, dont quit!17 said:

Im thinking about purchasing some for the fuck of it. From what I understand you don't need a prescription? Correct?

I wonder if Mimaki would give us discounts for being a consistent buyer ( I know they won't but money talks and one can hope so).

Thanks for the informative post. You make clearly logical and valid points. Please keep us updated. The time is now. 

No prescription needed, which kinda concerned me at first, but I’m happy to say it seems very legit.  Not to mention the changes I’ve noticed in my body.

I wish there was a way we could go in as a group and buy it at bulk for a discount.

friendlyboy
7 hours ago, valleynovascotia said:

Short answer: no

fixme1
On 8/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, NorCal_Herpster said:

UPDATE:

So I just completed my first week on Amenamevir.  A little back story on me; I’ve been positive for 7 yrs.  I would get an OB once a month, but I’ve been on daily preventative Valtrex pretty much the entire 7 yrs.  I respond very well to Valtrex and the main reason I’m combining both Valtrex & Amenamevir is because my G-friend doesn’t have H and I want to keep it that way.

So, this past week I took my regular 500mg of Valtrex daily with 100mg of Amenamevir.  I have not experienced any side effects. What I have noticed is in the area where I usually have an OB, it would stay sensitive and somewhat pink’ish, like it was never really healed while on Valtrex alone.  After combining the two, my OB area has turned to a normal skin color and the sensitivity is gone. 

This same area would also get irratated after any kind of friction.  There has been zero irritation due to friction.

So far I’m happy with Amenamevir.  I just wish we could get it at a cheaper cost.

sounds like its getting to hsv at a deeper level

Hall you
11 hours ago, valleynovascotia said:

I believe with Valtrex it’s about 75 reduction in shedding 

dont quit!17
7 hours ago, NorCal_Herpster said:

No prescription needed, which kinda concerned me at first, but I’m happy to say it seems very legit.  Not to mention the changes I’ve noticed in my body.

I wish there was a way we could go in as a group and buy it at bulk for a discount.

That is exactly what I was thinking. But first there would have to be a level of trust amongst each other then a possible buy. 

valleynovascotia
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, friendlyboy said:

Short answer: no

Sucks that there's nothing out there to make us non- contagious. Too me this virus is not harmless like so many others say it robs me of living an ordinary life. It robs me of approaching relationships or dating which is a huge part of life.

Edited by valleynovascotia

asdfz

Any idea when the new meds will be introduced in the US?

StayingUpbeat

A nearly identical medication Pritelivir is currently in phase II trials under an FDA fast track designation for the treatment of outbreaks in the context of the immune-compromised (i.e. cancer, organ transplants and HIV).  If all goes well it's probably  3-5 years out: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03073967

For those who are not immune compromised it would be an off-label prescription and it's initial approval would likely be for episodic not chronic use.  Getting it, once approved, will depend on how savvy your doctor is and his/her willingness to allow you to try a new drug in an experimental way.

moialbalushi
7 hours ago, StayingUpbeat said:

A nearly identical medication Pritelivir is currently in phase II trials under an FDA fast track designation for the treatment of outbreaks in the context of the immune-compromised (i.e. cancer, organ transplants and HIV).  If all goes well it's probably  3-5 years out: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03073967

For those who are not immune compromised it would be an off-label prescription and it's initial approval would likely be for episodic not chronic use.  Getting it, once approved, will depend on how savvy your doctor is and his/her willingness to allow you to try a new drug in an experimental way.

In case no one noticed. This link was updated since around  9 days !! Thats good 

mikequad25
On 8/24/2018 at 3:07 AM, moialbalushi said:

In case no one noticed. This link was updated since around  9 days !! Thats good 

this drug looks promising

NorCal_Herpster
On 8/19/2018 at 12:39 PM, NorCal_Herpster said:

UPDATE:

So I just completed my first week on Amenamevir.  A little back story on me; I’ve been positive for 7 yrs.  I would get an OB once a month, but I’ve been on daily preventative Valtrex pretty much the entire 7 yrs.  I respond very well to Valtrex and the main reason I’m combining both Valtrex & Amenamevir is because my G-friend doesn’t have H and I want to keep it that way.

So, this past week I took my regular 500mg of Valtrex daily with 100mg of Amenamevir.  I have not experienced any side effects. What I have noticed is in the area where I usually have an OB, it would stay sensitive and somewhat pink’ish, like it was never really healed while on Valtrex alone.  After combining the two, my OB area has turned to a normal skin color and the sensitivity is gone. 

This same area would also get irratated after any kind of friction.  There has been zero irritation due to friction.

So far I’m happy with Amenamevir.  I just wish we could get it at a cheaper cost.

UPDATE #2:

Been on Amenamevir for a month now.  Still no side effects.  Conditions are exactly the same.  Still very happy.  

Just a heads up for anyone else thinking of going on Amenamevir; you have to time your orders.  Here in California, it takes almost 2 weeks to get my order.  When I get down to 5 tablets (10 days worth at 100mg per day), I place my next order.

NorCal_Herpster
19 hours ago, vzhe said:

What do you mean conditions exactly the same?

If you look at my 1st update, my conditions with my skin color and sensitivity to friction has remained the same. 

destroyhsv

Hey guys! I'm looking to see who is interested in doing a sort of crowdsourced trial on different combos of drugs/supplements. One of the possible "trials" would be comparing the effects of valacyclovir alone vs. valacyclovir and amenamevir, but there are plenty of other combos to explore. 

I made a thread explaining everything: 

The idea is to get a large group of people to take valacyclovir + other compounds (amenamevir and/or other potential candidates) for a few months alongside a group taking only valacyclovir and have the participants record recurrences. Then, we pool together the data and try to estimate the effect. Everything is completely anonymous, minimally time-consuming, and unless you want to participate in the amenamevir study, costs next to nothing. Check it out and let me know what you guys think!

vzhe
On 9/20/2018 at 5:09 PM, destroyhsv said:

Hey guys! I'm looking to see who is interested in doing a sort of crowdsourced trial on different combos of drugs/supplements. One of the possible "trials" would be comparing the effects of valacyclovir alone vs. valacyclovir and amenamevir, but there are plenty of other combos to explore. 

I made a thread explaining everything: 

The idea is to get a large group of people to take valacyclovir + other compounds (amenamevir and/or other potential candidates) for a few months alongside a group taking only valacyclovir and have the participants record recurrences. Then, we pool together the data and try to estimate the effect. Everything is completely anonymous, minimally time-consuming, and unless you want to participate in the amenamevir study, costs next to nothing. Check it out and let me know what you guys think!

I'd participate and pay for it if you figure out how to do a shedding study. I don't think anything other than a shedding study makes sense.

dont quit!17
3 hours ago, vzhe said:

I'd participate and pay for it if you figure out how to do a shedding study. I don't think anything other than a shedding study makes sense.

From what I understand shedding studies are expensive but even getting quotes and estimates on this especially in a clinical setting would be a step in the right direction. @destroyhsv, maybe you can look up labcorp or quest diagnostics and call for an estimate or any local labs in your area. 

vzhe
22 hours ago, dont quit!17 said:

From what I understand shedding studies are expensive but even getting quotes and estimates on this especially in a clinical setting would be a step in the right direction. @destroyhsv, maybe you can look up labcorp or quest diagnostics and call for an estimate or any local labs in your area. 

the other option would be to develop a protocol using https://www.minipcr.com/ or similar to do it ourselves. someone on this forum developed a protocol once, but it never got so simple that I could follow along. 

i think there's even room for a business doing shedding studies as a service.

i'm sure people who are asymptomatic would like a more realistic assessment of the risk they are to their partners (many of them likely are not infectious at all).

Pokemon
On 8/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, NorCal_Herpster said:

UPDATE:

Hi. Forgive me if this has already been answered:  are you saying that you get 1 OB/month while on Valtrex?