World's Largest Herpes Support Group
JustHanginginThere

Asp2151 Japan update help?

dont quit!17
9 hours ago, thehopeisnear said:

So I'm a little confused - Amenalief was approved or amenavir was approved ?  

Maruho's lists the drugs as two different medications.  

Is there news coverage on this ?

According to @House of Herpesians. Amenamevir was renamed to Amenalief.

Atrapasueños

Quisiera que cualquier cosa que está en las tuberías fuera eficaz pero maldicion solo hablan de años y años 

I wish anything in the pipes was effective but damn just talking about years and years

JHenry

I understand----those younger have the "gift of time".   I was diagnosed nearly 30 years ago and will turn 65 in September.   In many ways, patience has serve me well--I Do believe it within striking distance and hope I'm here to see it.

Atrapasueños

Tal vez lo veas así pero aún siguen diciendo que faltan años de investigación, o de ensayos con animales, 

Pero sinceramente te respeto como persona eres un ejemplo a seguir de como tratar esta enfermedad durante tantos años

@JHenry

You may see it this way but they still say that they are missing years of research, or animal testing,

But I sincerely respect you as a person you are an example to follow of how to treat this disease for so many years

OFMDH
19 hours ago, Whyyyyy said:

@OhFuckMyDickHurts Can you shed some light on this please?

My understanding was that ASP2151 is for both Herpes Zoster (shingles ) and for us with Herpes Simplex 1/2. They have done their clinical trials with the FDA, so it would appear this could come to the US market (dont know when). 

In Phase 2 it tested different doses for shedding/time to heal etc vs valtrex and since then they completed  HSV Phase 3 /Zoster Phase 3  in 2016. When tested in people among the varying doses  (100mg to 200mg was the best) it was comparable to  1g Valtrex in efficacy in terms of OB reduction and shedding. [source]. It would appear Japan's regulators approved of it first for Herpes Zoster (antivirals have not been that good against it) and they approved a dose of 200mg.

They had to do another Phase 1 safety trial which just started last year. They had a wrench thrown into the works when urine samples showed supersaturation with the blood/plasma levels were appearing fine. Thus they had to totally revise the urine analysis methods/ collection and testing to retest and submit data for approval in December 2016.

Is that enough for the USA market? I don't know if they can stop there and use that data to get approval to now sell or it has to go further. Maybe up to a committee at the FDA?

Otherwise maybe the company's goal with ASP2151 is to get it approved and then go for niches that Valtrex and other antivirals are not servicing so well since its efficacy is comparable to Valtrex anyways. For instance I believe I've seen literature about using it to try and combat Postherpetic neuralgia a complication of Herpes Zoster and the company has since also filed this Clinical Trial  with Ciclosporin, a drug for organ transplantation. There appears to be a lot of future testing with this drug. 

TL:DR: For people in which valtrex or one of the analogues for it doesn't work, this drug ASP2151 aka Amenamevir appears to be a safe and effective alternative and may make it to market eventually in the USA (not sure when). It may also one day be used as part a potential combination therapy with a nucleoside analogue antiviral agent like Famvir/Valtrex, etc. requiring a smaller dose. 

Edited by OhFuckMyDickHurts

Whyyyyy
3 hours ago, OhFuckMyDickHurts said:

My understanding was that ASP2151 is for both Herpes Zoster (shingles ) and for us with Herpes Simplex 1/2. They have done their clinical trials with the FDA, so it would appear this could come to the US market (dont know when). 

In Phase 2 it tested different doses for shedding/time to heal etc vs valtrex and since then they completed  HSV Phase 3 /Zoster Phase 3  in 2016. When tested in people among the varying doses  (100mg to 200mg was the best) it was comparable to  1g Valtrex in efficacy in terms of OB reduction and shedding. [source]. It would appear Japan's regulators approved of it first for Herpes Zoster (antivirals have not been that good against it) and they approved a dose of 200mg.

They had to do another Phase 1 safety trial which just started last year. They had a wrench thrown into the works when urine samples showed supersaturation with the blood/plasma levels were appearing fine. Thus they had to totally revise the urine analysis methods/ collection and testing to retest and submit data for approval in December 2016.

Is that enough for the USA market? I don't know if they can stop there and use that data to get approval to now sell or it has to go further. Maybe up to a committee at the FDA?

Otherwise maybe the company's goal with ASP2151 is to get it approved and then go for niches that Valtrex and other antivirals are not servicing so well since its efficacy is comparable to Valtrex anyways. For instance I believe I've seen literature about using it to try and combat Postherpetic neuralgia a complication of Herpes Zoster and the company has since also filed this Clinical Trial  with Ciclosporin, a drug for organ transplantation. There appears to be a lot of future testing with this drug. 

TL:DR: For people in which valtrex or one of the analogues for it doesn't work, this drug ASP2151 aka Amenamevir appears to be a safe and effective alternative and may make it to market eventually in the USA (not sure when). It may also one day be used as part a potential combination therapy with a nucleoside analogue antiviral agent like Famvir/Valtrex, etc. requiring a smaller dose. 

Thank you so much! In your honest opinion do you think this is better than Valtrex? I know you said it's comparable...

Edited by Whyyyyy

MoniqueLow

Thank you, @OhFuckMyDickHurts.

It looks it has a bit better efficiency in smaller doses than valtrex. The shedding seems to be worse with it though (if I have understood right). 

In my very layman understanding, this drug doesn't need thymidine kinases to activate which was problem with hsv resistant strains, so this may be the biggest advantage? 

I hope it will be approved globally as a valtrex alternative. Pritelivir may follow (as I remember they had very good results with asymptomatic shedding).

Still, with my lack of knowledge, I am wondering why it is such difficult to kill the virus instead of just preventing it's replication. The drugs can recognize it in cell, right? Is there any chance to develop drug which can kill it or disable replicating forever? Vaccines are good approach for sure (if I can dare to judge), but relying on person's immune system can be tricky as we see on comments from participants of clinical trials of various vaccines.

Thanks.

MoniqueLow

In my very naive imagination I wish there's something for viruses as there are antibiotics for bacterias. What I have read ( just on my"science level"), the problem with viruses compare to bacterias is that drug cannot find it (as they are in cells and have similar proteins as host cell) and they mutate. Then what I understood, AVs can find virus in cell and hsv doesn't mutate as much and more over we know where it sleeps. 

I guess the answer is gene editing, but couldn't it be just chemical drug - like 14 days pill and it's done?

I'm sorry if my lack of knowledge has offended anyone and that I hijack this thread to ask maybe very useless questions. Thanks.

Dan S H
2 hours ago, MoniqueLow said:

In my very naive imagination I wish there's something for viruses as there are antibiotics for bacterias. What I have read ( just on my"science level"), the problem with viruses compare to bacterias is that drug cannot find it (as they are in cells and have similar proteins as host cell) and they mutate. Then what I understood, AVs can find virus in cell and hsv doesn't mutate as much and more over we know where it sleeps. 

I guess the answer is gene editing, but couldn't it be just chemical drug - like 14 days pill and it's done?

I'm sorry if my lack of knowledge has offended anyone and that I hijack this thread to ask maybe very useless questions. Thanks.

Hey i wish they could find a cure like they did for her c. Even a functional cure.  

Whyyyyy
3 minutes ago, Dan S H said:

Hey i wish they could find a cure like they did for her c. Even a functional cure.  

Me too! This sucks :(

Atrapasueños

Todos los sectores tienen la culpa de que no exista una cura, el sector médico porque sólo lo ve como un problema de la piel, en el sector de investigación prefieren otras enfermedades como cáncer, vih hepatitis, y enfermedades genéticas, en el sector gobierno prefieren dar presupuesto a investigadores que se centran en las enfermedades mortales y en la comunidad H la mayoría no se apoya para que nos escuchen prefieren quedarse en silenció

@MoniqueLow

All sectors are to blame that there is no cure, the medical sector because they only see it as a skin problem, in the research sector prefer other diseases such as cancer, hepatitis hiv, and genetic diseases, in the government sector prefer Give a budget to researchers who focus on deadly diseases and community H most do not support to hear us prefer to remain silent

Lauren401
On 5/20/2017 at 5:52 PM, MoniqueLow said:

Thank you very much. If it's good, I may go to Japan for it. I wanted to visit it anyway :-)

@MoniqueLow I'll go with you! We can share an AirBnb! hahaha. :)

Whyyyyy
1 hour ago, Lauren401 said:

I'm in too! #girltrip

Dan S H
2 hours ago, Whyyyyy said:

I'm in too! #girltrip

How many pills could we carry with us?! ;-)

oneday
8 hours ago, Whyyyyy said:

I'm in too! #girltrip

Me three!! ;)

StayingPositive17

So how long do we wait until its available??

medicalanonymo
12 hours ago, Whyyyyy said:

I'm in too! #girltrip

I am in too, Valtrex does not work for me .. I'm lesbian during the trip until return.  When tho?

Edited by medicalanonymo

Dan S H
11 hours ago, takeoff-signet-pretzel said:

Could you provide a source for this, please?

I thought the decrease in shedding was impressive?

moialbalushi
2 hours ago, Dan S H said:

Yeah me too. 

Whyyyyy
35 minutes ago, moialbalushi said:

Yeah me too. 

Yeah I thought I read somewhere that it was too...

hurryup
On 6/1/2017 at 10:27 AM, Lauren401 said:

Makes sense, Japan is where I picked up this wonderful gift. Would be nice to fly back out there and drop it off.

cantdoit
On 6/2/2017 at 4:09 PM, Dan S H said:

Where can I find the shedding data or can you tell me?

Dan S H
1 hour ago, cantdoit said:

Where can I find the shedding data or can you tell me?

I heard 95% reduction.  But i don't have the link for it